PDA

View Full Version : lronMan's HST Journal

MonStar
07-05-2002, 09:26 AM
I have decided to start yet another journal here at WBB. This time it is different though. I have created a new username, lronMan, instead of my original MonStar. I am going to try and start over here at WBB.

I am going to force myself to stop the binges, and stick to my program and journal. I want to give HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training) and a CID (Cyclical Isocaloric Diet) a shot.

Not a bullsh!t shot. A serious run through for a good 6 months. See what I think of HST. If I go through one full cycle of HST with sh!tty results then Ill see where I stand at that point. I highly highly doubt that will happen though.

Again I hope that all of my supporters, and you guys know exactly who you are, to continue supporting me. It would be seriously appreciated. Wish me luck! :cool::cool:

MonStar
07-05-2002, 09:27 AM
Diet.
I am going to be doing a pretty basic diet actually that is kind of similar to what I have done in the past, a cyclical isocaloric diet (CID). It is basically an isocaloric diet, while simply incorporating refeeds. However I am not going to be doing 1-2 day refeeds like some of us on a CID are. I am going to be doing 2-3 hour refeeds, postworkout.

Ill end up eating low/non-fat foods that are high in carbs. This will last like I said 2-3 hours and then Ill switch back to eating isocalorically. But on HST I will be training every other day consecutively so I will be refeeding every other day, rather consistently. On my isocaloric days (non-training) however, Ill be eating roughly the following:

2000 - 2200 calories
180 - 200g protein
180 - 200g carbs
60 - 80g fat

Like I said for the 2-3 hours postworkout while I refeed anything is fair game more or less. Basically anything that is low in fat and high in carbs. Things like low-fat ice-cream and Rold Gold pretzels are completely fine. Tasty, and delicious. On my refeed days (training) Ill be eating roughly the following:

3500 - 4000 calories
180 - 200g protein
650 - 700g carbs
40 - 60g fat

These like I said are just estimates so they really shouldnt be taken TOO seriously. I dont think so at least.

MonStar
HST Training.
As you all know I am currently going to be following HST, Hypertrophy Specific Training. In my version of HST, one cycle of HST is four microcycles. It is broken down into four microcycles, that each consist of 6 workouts, lasting 12 days each. In the first microcycle, all of the exercises will be performed with 15 reps. In the second microcycle, all of the exercises will performed with 10 reps, in the third, 5 reps, and finally in the fourth, reps may go as low as 2-3.

Each microcycle like I said is 6 training sessions, and lasts a total of 12 days long. So an entire HST cycle for me is 48 days total.

HST is all about gradual progression. Adding weight every single workout, and eventually that leading to increased strength and muscular development. Training to failure is NOT recommended nor necessary for this program to be effective. I will be training every other day. If for some odd reason I miss a workout Ill just make it up the next day. Everyday I am not training Ill end up doing some light cardio first thing in the morning.

Each workout in HST is a full-body workout. Each muscle group will be trained with 1-2 exercises, and just one working set per exercise. It is all based on rep maxes. A 5 rep max (5RM), 10 rep max (10RM), and 15 rep max (15RM) with specific exercises. Hopefully after my first full cycle of HST my RMs will have increased. Well have to see what happens though.

My fourth microcycle in each HST cycle is kind of confusing. This is where usually a person would perform negatives, however I dont have a spotter. So Ill just be gradually, very gradually, adding weight to my 5RM. Once I reach a weight where I cant get 2 full reps with good form then Ill just keep that weight for the remainder of the microcycle.

After my entire HST cycle there is a unique part of HST called strategic deconditioning. This is simply more or less a week OFF of training alltogether. There are a few reasons for this. (1) is to make the higher-reps (15) effective again when I start back up with my second HST cycle, and (2) to help the body recovery from the highly intense negatives.

The exercises that I will be performing each workout are:

Squats
Barbell Stiff-legged Deadlifts
Standing Smith-machine Calf Raises
Flat Barbell Presses
Wide-grip Underhand Chins
Flat Dumbbell Flyes
Underhand Supported Lever Rows
Wide-grip Barbell Upright Rows
Standing Barbell Curls
Lying Cambered-bar Extensions
Standing Barbell Reverse Curls
Machine Crunches

As I said before Ill be doing one set of each exercise. I know that everything I have said so far is probably very confusing - so you can check out the HST articles themselves by clicking here (http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html).

MonStar
HST Rep Maxes.
Squats
340 15RM
365 10RM
425 5RM

Barbell Stiff-legged Deadlifts
145 15RM
165 10RM
185 5RM

Standing Smith-machine Calf Raises
300 15RM
320 10RM
340 5RM

Flat Barbell Presses
195 15RM
215 10RM
255 5RM

Wide-grip Underhand Chins
BW 15RM
+20 10RM
+55 5RM

Flat Dumbbell Flyes
40 15RM
60 10RM
85 5RM

Underhand Supported Lever Rows
170 15RM
195 10RM
220 5RM

Wide-grip Barbell Upright Rows
100 15RM
115 10RM
145 5RM

Standing Barbell Curls
85 15RM
100 10RM
120 5RM

Lying Cambered-bar Extensions
110 15RM
120 10RM
140 5RM

Standing Barbell Reverse Curls
70 15RM
80 10RM
90 5RM

Machine Crunches
155 15RM
165 10RM
175 5RM

Hopefully by the end of my first HST cycle I will have exceeded many of these poundages. Theyre all accurate though.

MonStar
07-05-2002, 09:28 AM
... Sorry guys, Marcel, rookiebldr, had to repost my journal because I just decided to get Hulk to change MonStar to lronMan instead of creating a whole new username. :):)

rookiebldr
07-05-2002, 09:43 AM
No problem here. I'll repost - good luck.

MonStar
07-05-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by rookiebldr
No problem here. I'll repost - good luck.

Okay rookiebldr. Thanks again man for your support. Its definitely appreciated bro. Hope you continue to check out my journal and feel free to post often like you always do. :D:D

Hey man you ever going to give HST a shot?

rookiebldr
07-05-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by lronMan

Hey man you ever going to give HST a shot?

:D :D Of course! I can't let you and the other HST'ers have all the fun and all the gains.

MonStar
07-05-2002, 10:14 AM
:D :D Of course! I can't let you and the other HST'ers have all the fun and all the gains.

Alright man Ill be looking forward to checking it out when you finally start. What are you planning on starting? Soon or nah? Lemme know man. :):)

MonStar
07-05-2002, 11:47 AM
(view a description of my diet by clicking here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=245981#post245981), view a description of my training by clicking here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=245983#post245983), view my current HST rep maxes by clicking here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=245984#post245984), view my before picture by clicking here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=247698#post247698))

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 1
July 5, 2002

Cardio.
----------------------------------------------------------------
(postworkout) 20 minutes treadmill, 3.5 MPH @ a 15% incline.
Comments.
Feel so incredibly f*cking fat today its just completely ridiculous. I am seriously about to go insane. I mean I honestly cannot be dealing with this bullsh!t. I havnt weighed this much for a long, long time. Its just completely unbelievable that I could be so stupid and so ill-disciplined.

I was looking forward to my "Supertraining" book to come in the mail today but it still hasnt shown up. It was shipped out on Monday from Colorado. I thought it would be here at least by today or tomorrow. Not sure what the problem is.
Diet. Refeed Day.
Meal 1: Myoplex MRP + 1 cup skim milk
(360 calories, 50g protein, 33g carbs, 3g fat)

Meal 2: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 1 tbsp. peanut butter + 2 cups skim milk
(290 calories, 23g protein, 37g carbs, 9g fat)

Postworkout: 2 servings whey protein + 1/2 serving Cell-Tech
(420 calories, 44g protein, 55g carbs, 3g fat)

-------------------------Started Refeed------------------------

Meal 4: Vanilla Coke + Low-fat Milky Way
(420 calories, 2g protein, 96g carbs, 5g fat)

Meal 5: Smart Ones pizza + 1 cup Ben & Jerry's ice-cream
(740 calories, 26g protein, 133g carbs, 11g fat)

Meal 6: Smart Ones lasagna + 1 bag Ruffles Fat-Free chips
(640 calories, 25g protein, 116g carbs, 10g fat)

Meal 7: Mountain Dew + 1 cup Ben & Jerry's ice-cream
(620 calories, 8g protein, 141g carbs, 6g fat)

-------------------------Finished Refeed-----------------------

Meal 8: 2 cups skim milk
(160 calories, 16g protein, 24g carbs, 1g fat)

Total Calories: 3650
Total (g) Protein: 194g - 21%
Total (g) Carbs: 635g - 68%
Total (g) Fat: 48g - 11%

Good refeed tonight I think. Lasted around three hours I believe. If not it was really really close to three hours. Packed in a good amount of food without going overboard on my calories. This is what I need to get into a habit of doing.
Pain/Soreness.
Not really sore today, just fat and stupid looking. I cant get over how fat I am! Just from 2-3 days of cheating I put on probably a good 5-8 lbs. of pure fat. :redface::redface:
Sleep.
Last night I got 7 hours of sleep. Good amount I guess. Slept well didnt wake up at all. Really going to try and shoot for a bare minimum of 7 hours each night. Maybe more.
Supplements.
multi-vitamin/mineral 2x today
1g vitamin C 3x today
400 IU vitamin E 3x today
1 Calcium Complete 3x today
1 Lipodryl 1x today
250 mg. usnic acid 2x today
5cc Liquid Clenbutrx preworkout
1/2 serving Cell-Tech + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine peptides + 3g l-arginine + 1g ginger + 500 mg. ALA + 250 mg. Aminogen postworkout
500 mg. ALA halfway through refeed
6 mg. melatonin + 5g glutamine before bed

Currently in the middle of an usnic acid cycle. This will probably last the next few weeks maybe if that. Probably not much longer. Cant really tell how well the usnic acid is working because I continue to binge off of my diet like a fat piece of sh!t slob. :mad::mad:
Training.
Squats:

240 x 15

Nice set of squats today. Woah pretty f*cking hard to be honest and thats not a good thing because it is the first workout in my HST microcycle. Hammered my lower body and actually hit my lower back hard too. 15 reps was actually really really exausting. Out of breath afterwards. Good set.

Barbell Stiff-legged Deadlifts:

95 x 15

Nice set of SLDLs today. Really hit my hamstrings and my glutes pretty hard. Started off with a mixed grip and for some reason I felt it more in one hamstring than the other. This bothered me so I immediately switched to a double overhand grip. Like this more. Going to stick with this grip until I my grip gives out too soon.

Standing Smith-machine Calf Raises:

200 x 15

Nice set of standing calf raises today. Really hit my calves very very hard. Nice slow reps and good solid contractions. Pretty good lactic acid buildup I think. Pretty easy set though to be honest right on track with my weight on this exercise I think. Calves actually got a decent pump.

Flat Barbell Presses:

145 x 15

Good set of bench presses today. Nice slow slow reps much slower than I usually do my 15s. Nice hard reps really contracted my pecs very very hard. Good quick reps really hitting my pecs completely. Pretty good TUT with this exercise. Nice pump too considering that it was just one single set.

Wide-grip Underhand Chins:

-100 x 15

Nice set of chins today!! Hit my lats very very hard. Arched my back completely and really squeezed my lats and midback 100%. Pulled my chest all the way up to the bar and kicked my elbows back as far as possible. Lats got some incredible contractions. Biceps were actually a little fatigued to be honest. Good lactic acid buildup in my lats and biceps.

Flat Dumbbell Flyes:

15 x 15

Good set of flyes today. Used the 15s haha what a joke a girl on the bench next to me was using the 30s for flyes. That was a shame. Oh well. Anyway squeezed my pecs hard with every single rep and stretched them out hard at the top bottom of every rep. Lactic acid buildup was pretty good.

Underhand Supported Lever Rows:

120 x 15

Good set of lever rows today. Actually again a tough set considering that it was just my first day in this microcycle. Probably just tough because I am really not used to the lactic acid buildup. Again with this set squeezed my lats extremely hard.

Wide-grip Barbell Upright Rows:

75 x 15

Nice set of upright rows today. Used about a shoulder-width grip I think or really close to it. Hit my delts and my traps hard with this movement. Traps had some good hard contractions and so did my delts. Nice pump from just this one set.

Standing Barbell Curls:

60 x 15

Good set of BB curls today. Somehow this set was extremely easy. I mean very very very easy. Almost like a total joke. Expected it to be a little bit harder for some reason. I am not really sure why I expected this. Anyway hit my biceps hard. No body English at all.

Lying Cambered-bar Extensions:

85 x 15

Nice set of skulls today, really hammered my triceps completely. Nice slow reps and locked out hard at the top of every single rep. Good pump in my triceps I think. Really exausted my triceps well with just this one single set. My triceps were fried after this.

Standing Barbell Reverse Curls:

45 x 15

Hit my brachialis and brachioradialis completely with this exercise. Really hammered my biceps hard too. Biceps were already pretty tired this just beat them down completely. Good lactic acid buildup here. Forearms got a pretty good pump. Nice hard set.

Machine Crunches:

105 x 15

Good way to finish off my training today. Hit my abs hard with some really really good contractions. Abs got a good burn. Good focus on my abs during this set I think. Contracted my abs hard and really had an overall great set of crunches today. Bumping up to 115 lbs. on Sunday.
Training Length.
Lasted 30 minutes today. Really really brief today. Pretty much zoomed through my workout to be honest. Didnt take a lot of rest periods between each exercise.
Water.
Good amount today I think. I really really need to keep it up.
Weight.
First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 213.5 lbs. :eek::eek: I honestly pretty much amazed myself with how much I weighed today. Jesus Christ I cant get over this pathetic bullsh!t. Binging for 2-3 days like some big fat piece of sh!t moron. I cant be dealing with this crap. Its just sickening it really is.

Marcel
07-05-2002, 04:05 PM
Let's get this sh*t done IronMan! :strong:

MonStar
07-05-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Marcel
Let's get this sh*t done IronMan! :strong:

Yeah man Ill definitely get it done dont worry man. Put up some before pics which will without a doubt serve as inspiration to stick to my diet and training program. Holy sh!t I do I feel, and as you can see in the pics, LOOK fat. :redface::redface:

Keep supporting me man and hopefully Ill finish HST successfully.

Mystic Eric
07-06-2002, 12:17 AM
Ha! You liar! You didn't change your user name to start over new at WBB, you just wanted to start a new journal hoping no one would notice! :p

You better stick to this or else no more journals for you! ;)

MonStar
07-06-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric
Ha! You liar! You didn't change your user name to start over new at WBB, you just wanted to start a new journal hoping no one would notice! :p

Haha not really man but its all good. I just wanted to start over ya know? Change my username to hopefully start over and just stick to HST and my diet and all that. Not f*ck it up etc. Dont want to be that stupid. Made that mistake time and time again. No more bullsh!t. As you can see by my pics I am fat as ever. :mad::mad:

You better stick to this or else no more journals for you! ;)

Yeah I am telling you man I dont stick with this one its gonna be a big f*cking fight haha I am going to be so mad at myself.

Blood&Iron
07-06-2002, 12:28 AM
Decided to put up some BEFORE pics. These are basically just fat slob pics taken today, July 5, 2002, right around 3:00 PM. Definitely looking forward to my progress right at the end of my HST cycle.

Please dont be too harsh!! I know I got fat. :mad::mad:
Don't really think they're that bad. Just a little bit of a belly. Really nice lats. Good shape to your arms too. Maybe I'll put up some 'before' pics too once I'm done bulking.

MonStar
07-06-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron
Don't really think they're that bad. Just a little bit of a belly. Really nice lats. Good shape to your arms too. Maybe I'll put up some 'before' pics too once I'm done bulking.

Hey thanks a lot for checking out my journal B&I. Yeah you should put up some before pics since were pretty close in size. I dont like to put my face on the internet but I dont see anything bad about a few body shots. I dont know.

Anyway yeah my stomach seems to fatten up extremely quickly when I go off my diet. Chest gets a little flabby too. I think that my lats are one of my worst bodyparts too which is crazy that you commented about them. Made me feel better. :D:D

How often do you think I should retake pics? After the entire HST cycle or halfway through?

Blood&Iron
07-06-2002, 12:41 AM

Anyway yeah my stomach seems to fatten up extremely quickly when I go off my diet. Chest gets a little flabby too. I think that my lats are one of my worst bodyparts too which is crazy that you commented about them. Made me feel better. :D:D

I'm glad my comments made you feel a little better. You look good man. Better than me, I think.

How often do you think I should retake pics? After the entire HST cycle or halfway through?
I dunno. However often you want. Personally, I'd wait until the end of your HST cycle. But then, I hate having my picture taken--especially physique shots. I had a bunch of before ones taken at the end of September of last year, but never took any 'after' shots. I figure they're still useful as a record of where I was, and my progress--or lack thereof--in the past year, though.

MonStar
07-06-2002, 12:45 AM
I'm glad my comments made you feel a little better. You look good man. Better than me, I think.

Thanks a lot man. I am sure that I dont look better than you though. Youre always sticking to your diet etc. I mean I binging every chance I get haha its a f*cking joke. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I dunno. However often you want. Personally, I'd wait until the end of your HST cycle. But then, I hate having my picture taken--especially physique shots. I had a bunch of before ones taken at the end of September of last year, but never took any 'after' shots. I figure they're still useful as a record of where I was, and my progress--or lack thereof--in the past year, though.

Yeah I dont like physique shots when I feel fat. Thats basically why I took these today though. Because I havnt felt this fat in a long long time. This I personally think will be great great inspiration to stick to my diet and training program etc. I think that HST and the rest of my usnic acid will help me drop some extra bodyfat. I never saw your original pics I dont think. Are theye in your journal? Do you know what page? Yeah it will be interesting to see how you have progressed in a years time. :cool::cool:

Blood&Iron
07-06-2002, 12:52 AM

Yeah I dont like physique shots when I feel fat. Thats basically why I took these today though. Because I havnt felt this fat in a long long time. This I personally think will be great great inspiration to stick to my diet and training program etc. I think that HST and the rest of my usnic acid will help me drop some extra bodyfat. I never saw your original pics I dont think. Are theye in your journal? Do you know what page? Yeah it will be interesting to see how you have progressed in a years time. :cool::cool:
Yeah, you saw them. I remember cuz you posted a response. I only posted one pic. Looked like a complete asshole in it and not very impressive physique wise--plus my head looked like an ice-cube. Sadly, 've got a bunch more than are even more embarrassing. If I took some now, I think--at least I'd hope--there'd be a fair amount of progress visible. A guy at my gym yesterday said how he was amazed at my progress over the last year. How I'd been fat--I say I was just 'bulked up'--and that now I was 'coming up on Ted'(The biggest dude at my gym; I swear, to me, he looks like freakin' Arnold.) and that I now look like a bodybuilder. Another guy commented that I looked better than 99% of the people at my gym. That made me feel pretty damn good.

MonStar
07-06-2002, 12:59 AM
Yeah, you saw them. I remember cuz you posted a response. I only posted one pic. Looked like a complete asshole in it and not very impressive physique wise--plus my head looked like an ice-cube. Sadly, 've got a bunch more than are even more embarrassing. If I took some now, I think--at least I'd hope--there'd be a fair amount of progress visible. A guy at my gym yesterday said how he was amazed at my progress over the last year. How I'd been fat--I say I was just 'bulked up'--and that now I was 'coming up on Ted'(The biggest dude at my gym; I swear, to me, he looks like freakin' Arnold.) and that I now look like a bodybuilder. Another guy commented that I looked better than 99% of the people at my gym. That made me feel pretty damn good.

Thats cool man. Compliments on your physique are great arent they?

Lately I really havnt gotten too many comments just because I have fattened up a little. I used to though. I get comments on my strength which is cool. I have had a guy come up to me after I squatted 400+ lbs. and say "wow you broke the world record for squats." Made me feel good.

Thats cool that you got guys in your gym that are pumped up like Arnold. My gym is full of twigs and fat guys. Haha a few guys are like my size but not any bigger than me. Few guys are pretty damn ripped though. Really makes them look a lot bigger.

MonStar
07-06-2002, 01:00 AM
In the past year I feel like my strength has completely like doubled I mean seriously on almost every single lift its almost incredible. I dont know what the hell happened to how it happened but I did really gain a lot of strength. :):)

Blood&Iron
07-06-2002, 01:06 AM

Thats cool that you got guys in your gym that are pumped up like Arnold. My gym is full of twigs and fat guys. Haha a few guys are like my size but not any bigger than me. Few guys are pretty damn ripped though. Really makes them look a lot bigger.
Yeah, I actually told Ted to check this site out, cuz he's definitely got a unique perspective(I was talking to him yesterday and he was about to do back--FOR THREE HOURS!!! 80-90 sets total.) He claims he's natural and for reasons I won't go into here, I believe him. I think he's got unbelievable genetics, and he's what I dream of looking like. Perfect proportions, relatively lean, and he's huge. What's hilarious is he only weighs 215 and he's like 6'1''(He used to be 235 and at that weight a friend who's seen Flex Wheeler, and a bunch of other pros in person said he could've hung with them.) Seems like he'd be small, but he looks incredible.

It's weird. Another weird things is that I lift at a Bally's and there are quite a few hardcore bodybuilders there. One guy trained with Dennis James for a year. He's probably the biggest guy at my gym. 5'5'' and about 220lbs, at 8-9%bf. There's Ted. And a couple other quite big guys. No one that really all that strong, though. Like I said, weird.

MonStar
07-06-2002, 01:12 AM
Yeah, I actually told Ted to check this site out, cuz he's definitely got a unique perspective(I was talking to him yesterday and he was about to do back--FOR THREE HOURS!!! 80-90 sets total.) He claims he's natural and for reasons I won't go into here, I believe him. I think he's got unbelievable genetics, and he's what I dream of looking like. Perfect proportions, relatively lean, and he's huge. What's hilarious is he only weighs 215 and he's like 6'1''(He used to be 235 and at that weight a friend who's seen Flex Wheeler, and a bunch of other pros in person said he could've hung with them.) Seems like he'd be small, but he looks incredible.

Yeah man that would be cool to get that huge guy Ted to post here at WBB. That would be crazy if he was natural. Huge guys who are natural (I mean truly natural) I give so much credit to. I mean its just amazing to see that someone could get so big and lean without resorting to the use of illegal anabolics.

You said that there are a few huge guys in your gym but none of them are real strong? Thats very strange to me. In my experience the bigger the guy - the bigger the weights.

I hope to get down to around 190-195 lbs. and extremely lean. Well see what happens though. Its amazing how much fat you can put on in just 2-3 days isnt it? I mean I have never anything like this.

It's weird. Another weird things is that I lift at a Bally's and there are quite a few hardcore bodybuilders there. One guy trained with Dennis James for a year. He's probably the biggest guy at my gym. 5'5'' and about 220lbs, at 8-9%bf. There's Ted. And a couple other quite big guys. No one that really all that strong, though. Like I said, weird.

You lift at Bally's huh? I have been there a few times and really really like it. Little too expensive though. I go to the YMCA with my girlfriend for only $20 per month. Lots of equipment too. I am probably around 15-17% bodyfat right now. Dont you think?

I hope to get down to around 8-10%. ;);)

Silverback
07-06-2002, 04:56 AM
good to see your making some renewed effort, took a look at your pics and there is a quality set of foundations, with the diet and training you are following, i feel you could produce some fantastic results, you probably dont need me to tell you this but diet is the key.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-06-2002, 06:26 AM
Great back, Micky. And great shoulders too.

Good luck with HST.

I'm gonna get off my lazy ass and actually read the article behind it i think. It's about time.

rookiebldr
07-06-2002, 08:47 AM
I agree with CD and B&I, your lats and shoulders are great. Looks like some improvement since your last pics even if there is a little softening in the tummy area.

Keep up the good work and get back at it.

MonStar
07-06-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Big-Ron
good to see your making some renewed effort, took a look at your pics and there is a quality set of foundations, with the diet and training you are following, i feel you could produce some fantastic results, you probably dont need me to tell you this but diet is the key.

Hey thanks a lot Big-Ron for your support. It is definitely appreciated bro seriously. Looking to seriously lose some fat in the next 6 weeks or so on HST. Well see how things go. Again thanks a lot for your support it means a lot man. ;);)

Yeah diet is the key factor in attaining a quality physique. Anyone can workout but not everyone can follow a diet 24 hours per day.

rookiebldr
07-06-2002, 08:50 AM

... Anyone can workout but not everyone can follow a diet 24 hours per day.

I think it's an accomplishment to ensure that one workouts consistently all the time as well. Lot's of ppl start and then quit after a few months.

MonStar
07-06-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Great back, Micky. And great shoulders too.

Good luck with HST.

Thanks a lot for the comments. I have never gotten any kind of comment at all on my lats at all. I always figured it was one of my weakest bodyparts. B&I commented on it too. Really really makes me feel better, seriously.

Thanks a lot for your support Robboe. Again really really appreciate it. How is cutting coming along for you?

Thanks I am going to stick with HST the full time this time around. Like I said trying to start over here at WBB not binge, not make a million journals (even though I have already done both), and just get my sh!t together ya know? :cool::cool:

I'm gonna get off my lazy ass and actually read the article behind it i think. It's about time.

Yeah man theyre great articles seriously. I really enjoyed reading them myself. Very interesting. I really like the way that Bryan Haycock writes them very easy to understand.

MonStar
07-06-2002, 08:55 AM
I agree with CD and B&I, your lats and shoulders are great. Looks like some improvement since your last pics even if there is a little softening in the tummy area.

Keep up the good work and get back at it.

Really? Wow again thanks a lot!! My lats like I said have always suckd in my eyes. I think they have grown a lot this past year though with underhand chins and bentover rows and lever rows. I think so at least. I have always genetically had pretty wide shoulders.

I am going to get back at it rookiebldr. No matter what it takes! Putting up a pic was great motivation for me. I hadnt been that fat or weighed that much in a long long time. So putting up a motivational pic is going to be something that I look at / think about anytime I want to cheat. That will really help I think.

Did the pic turn out okay or was it dark or blurry or what? It was more clear but too big to post so I had to reduce the file size blurring the quality of the picture. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

MonStar
07-06-2002, 08:59 AM
I think it's an accomplishment to ensure that one workouts consistently all the time as well. Lot's of ppl start and then quit after a few months.

Yeah my girlfriend and almost everyone that I talk to says the same thing. Although I dont really think much of it. Only because I wont ever get out of training. I mean working out itself is so much fun for me its just like a thrill.

Now I am working out with my girlfriend Brittany and it just makes it that much more fun. I look forward to my workouts even more, etc. I workout with her 12 year old brother Matt too so basically if I dont feel like working out I will make myself because I dont want Matt and Brittany to sacrifice ya know?

Thats not even close to the only reason that I continually workout though. The pumps, the muscular contractions, gains in strength, not feeling fat, etc. are all reasons that I love it. And plus it gives my girlfriend a good body to look at. (not now when I am leaned out) :redface::redface:

MonStar
07-06-2002, 09:41 AM
(view a description of my diet by clicking here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=245981#post245981), view a description of my training by clicking here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=245983#post245983), view my current HST rep maxes by clicking here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=245984#post245984), view my before picture by clicking here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=247698#post247698))

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 2
July 6, 2002

Cardio.
(AM) 20 minutes stationery bike, level 6.
Comments.
Like most of you guys already saw yesterday I posted some before pictures. Damn did I look FAT as ever. I looked so damn fat and so stuipd looking it was just completely disgusting. I almost got myself sick looking at the pictures. It was really just completely revolting.

Anyway like I said I am starting over so I have to be positive that Ill drop the fat, get back into shape, and stick to this HST cycle all the way through no matter what. No matter what it takes I am going to do it. :D:D

Feel fat today still. Not really sure whats the matter. I dropped some weight from yesterday but that was without a doubt water weight. I know for a fact simply because my definition is still completely blurred. Such a shame.
Diet. Isocaloric Day.

Meal 2: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 cups skim milk + 2 tbsp. peanut butter
(390 calories, 27g protein, 40g carbs, 17g fat)

Meal 3: 1 bag spicey peanuts
(290 calories, 14g protein, 13g carbs, 21g fat)

Meal 4: cheese on wheat crackers
(200 calories, 4g protein, 22g carbs, 11g fat)

Meal 5: 1 bag spicey peanuts
(290 calories, 14g protein, 13g carbs, 21g fat)

Meal 6: beef & vegetable soup
(130 calories, 8g protein, 23g carbs, 1g fat)

Meal 7: 2 servings whey protein + 1 cup skim milk
(340 calories, 52g protein, 24g carbs, 4g fat)

Total Calories: 2000
Total (g) Protein: 169g - 33%
Total (g) Carbs: 168g - 33%
Total (g) Fat: 78g - 34%

Calories were completely right on today. But somehow my f*cking protein intake was too low. This really pissed me off big time I think. Need my protein a little higher and my carbs a little lower. Thats my opinion at least. Completely isocaloric though which was good. ;);)
Pain/Soreness.
Not really sore today. Hamstrings are a little sore but nothing too big of a deal at all. Actually feel good to be honest. Still feel like a fat blimp obviously but feel good I think.
Sleep.
Last night I got 7 hours of sleep. Again only 7 hours. Would like to get 8 but I have no problem with 7 at all. Woke up once for some reason, not sure why.
Supplements.
5g glutamine (+ 1 Lipodryl & 250 mg. usnic acid) precardio
1g vitamin C 3x today
1 Lipodryl 2x today
Training.
Rest.
Training Length.
N/A.
Water.
Took in a lot today, need to really keep it up.
Weight.
First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 206 lbs. Good weight in my eyes. Down something like 7.5 lbs. from yesterday - and I refed yesterday. :eek::eek: Now that really really doesnt make any sense at all I am completely confused. Oh well cant complain I guess.

MarshallPenn
07-06-2002, 11:20 AM
Makes sense to me. You can't gain 13 genuine lbs in 2 days.

MonStar
07-06-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by MarshallPenn
Makes sense to me. You can't gain 13 genuine lbs in 2 days.

Really? Did you see my pics Marshall (on page 1). Hopefully Ill lose some serious fat on this diet and training program. Well see how things go. Right now I am so f*cking fat its just unreal I mean I cant even stand taking my shirt off to get into the shower. Just feel so damn fat. :mad::mad:

MarshallPenn
07-06-2002, 12:05 PM
Yeah, really. You can't gain 13lbs of fat or muscle in 2 days.

I saw your pics, yes. I've said it before, lose this diet. It's a horrible choice for you.

MonStar
07-06-2002, 12:09 PM
Yeah, really. I saw your pics, yes. I've said it before, lose this diet. It's a horrible choice for you.

I dont think so but we definitely have a difference of opinion when it comes to diet so its all good. I think that this diet will work extremely well for me but then again thats just my opinion like I said. Well see how things go.

Hopefully HST will workout okay for me. :):)

the doc
07-06-2002, 12:35 PM
best wishes for success monstar/ironman

Johnny Vegas
07-06-2002, 12:56 PM
Have you assessed your goals specifically? I think it's great that you get a renewed vigor about working out and staying dedicated. That's half the battle. Perhaps when you finish HST we can all powwow and create something specifically geared to YOU and your goals. What are you looking for from your legs, for example? Do you want massive trunks that look scary? Do you want lean legs (not skinny) that are packed with power and explosiveness?

Stick with your HST, we'll stick with you, and when you're all done, we'll blow you up. :)

MonStar
07-07-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by the doc
best wishes for success monstar/ironman

Hey thanks a lot doc. Really really really appreciate it. Hope youll continue to check out my journal in the future as well bro. :D:D

MonStar
07-07-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Vegas
Have you assessed your goals specifically? I think it's great that you get a renewed vigor about working out and staying dedicated. That's half the battle. Perhaps when you finish HST we can all powwow and create something specifically geared to YOU and your goals. What are you looking for from your legs, for example? Do you want massive trunks that look scary? Do you want lean legs (not skinny) that are packed with power and explosiveness?

What do you mean have I assessed my goals specifically? I think that HST will work extremely well for me. All of the times that I have given it a run through it worked great. I mean truly great. Fat loss was excellent etc.

What do you mean create something that specifically geared to me and my goals? Training is training in my eyes. I mean the example that you gave with legs seems a little out there. I want lean and explosive strong legs not big blocky ones - but that doesnt mean I should train any different. I mean I am going to be training for hypertrophy and strength regardless. To lean out that comes down to my diet not my training at all I dont think.

What is your opinion on this?

Stick with your HST, we'll stick with you, and when you're all done, we'll blow you up. :)

Yeah please stick with me JV. :):)

What is your opinion of HST? Have you ever considered giving it a shot or no? Haha HOW specifically will you "me me up"?

Silverback
07-07-2002, 03:06 AM
I don't know alot about HST but from what you have said it seems top dollar, (i'll check out the web-page and give it a run through, who knows i might give it a try) but you appear to be clued up on the technical side of it.

As for feeling fat, try not to worry as much and just look at the bigger picture, it takes time to lose fat don't rush it or else you could lose muscle mass as well. Just stay on the training/diet band wagon and be patient, you've got a quality starting point.

MonStar
07-07-2002, 09:09 AM
I don't know alot about HST but from what you have said it seems top dollar, (i'll check out the web-page and give it a run through, who knows i might give it a try) but you appear to be clued up on the technical side of it.

Yeah man you can check it out for yourself over at http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html I believe the website is. Then there are HST forums as well. I can give you the link to them if you like - http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi. The forums are really excellent. Diet guru Lyle McDonald posts over there.

Yeah you should give it a shot bro that would be great. Then really see for yourself what you thought about it.

As for feeling fat, try not to worry as much and just look at the bigger picture, it takes time to lose fat don't rush it or else you could lose muscle mass as well. Just stay on the training/diet band wagon and be patient, you've got a quality starting point.

Yeah I know I cant be letting the mental side of feeling fat bring me down. I mean I binged on total junk food for days straight and I just have to accept that I am going to feel fat ya know? Anyone that did what I did would feel fat. Without a doubt.

Yeah I am definitely not trying to force any kind of sudden fat loss. Thats why I am doing a CID (Cyclical Isocaloric Diet) to be honest. Seems to work very very well at retaining muscle. As does HST. Yeah exactly Big-Ron honestly what I really need to do is stick to it. :D:D

MonStar
07-07-2002, 10:01 AM

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 3
July 7, 2002

Cardio.
(postworkout) 20 minutes treadmill, 3.5 MPH @ a 15% incline.
Comments.
Feel fat still today but nothing new. Kind of pissed off because I woke up this morning sweaty and just disgusting etc. Really bothered me I think. Oh well its obviously the usnic acid I am taking because I had the fan on high. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Diet. Refeed Day.

Meal 2: Pepper Pot soup
(230 calories, 10g protein, 23g carbs, 10g fat)

Postworkout: 2 servings whey protein + 1/2 serving Cell-Tech
(420 calories, 44g protein, 55g carbs, 3g fat)

-------------------------Started Refeed------------------------

Meal 4: 2 cups Low-fat Ben & Jerry's ice-cream
(680 calories, 12g protein, 128g carbs, 8g fat)

Meal 5: Vanilla Coke
(250 calories, 0g protein, 70g carbs, 0g fat)

Meal 6: 5 cups Cocoa Puffs + 3 cups skim milk
(890 calories, 29g protein, 181g carbs, 6g fat)

Meal 7: Smart Ones pizza + Gatorade
(550 calories, 18g protein, 111g carbs, 5g fat)

-------------------------Finished Refeed-----------------------

Meal 8: 2 cups skim milk
(160 calories, 16g protein, 24g carbs, 1g fat)

Total Calories: 3540
Total (g) Protein: 179g - 20%
Total (g) Carbs: 625g - 71%
Total (g) Fat: 36g - 9%

I didnt go TOO overboard with my refeed tonight calorie or fat wise, however, I did go overboard a little with how long I refed. I was planning on refeeding a solid 3 hours after my workout or whatever. Well today I refed for about 2 hours, and then waited 2 hours and finished my refeed with Gatorade and a Smart Ones pizza.

Little too long in duration but I dont think that will make too much of a difference if you ask me. Protein intake today was a little low but nothing to be upset about. It was around 20% of my calories which is pretty much what I wanted.
Pain/Soreness.
Not sore today. Still feel as fat as Ricki Lake or some sh!t but oh well. Feel completely soft and flabby and just disgusting.
Sleep.
Last night I got 8 hours of sleep. Good amount without any interruptions at all. This was a really good thing in my eyes. Hopefully Ill have a great HST workout today.
Supplements.
1g vitamin C 3x today
1 Lipodryl 1x today
5cc Liquid Clenbutrx preworkout
1/2 serving Cell-Tech + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine peptides + 3g l-arginine + 1g ginger + 500 mg. ALA + 250 mg. Aminogen postworkout
500 mg. ALA halfway through refeed
Training.
Squats:

260 x 15

Good set of squats today. Really really hit my lower body very hard I think. Breathing was really perfect on this exercise which is what I was sure to pay attention to. Really breathed out hard on the way up. I think this helps seriously. Anyway tough set, but nothing too bad.

Barbell Stiff-legged Deadlifts:

105 x 15

Nice hard set of SLDLs today. Used a mixed grip which is something that I am really not accustomed to. Oh well. Going to have to get accustomed to it if I want to get into some heavy poundages. Hit my hamstrings very very hard. Awesome stretch at the bottom of each rep.

Standing Smith-machine Calf Raises:

220 x 15

Nice set of calf raises today. Really demolished my lower legs completely. Good stretch at the bottom and nice contraction at the top of every rep I think. Good overall set. Calves got a great burn from this one single set.

Flat Barbell Presses:

155 x 15

Nice hard set of flat BB presses today. Really had some excellent pec contractions I think. Nice slow set really feeling the weight out 100%. Really really liked it. Overall set was excellent - pecs got pretty damn pumped from it.

Wide-grip Underhand Chins:

-80 x 15

Good set of chins today. Really really had some great contractions in my back. Fully exausted my lats 100%. Didnt hit failure but actually probably came close just because of how slow I did each rep and how much I really contracted my lats.

Flat Dumbbell Flyes:

20 x 15

Nice set of flyes today!! Hit my pecs very very hard with a good slow set really contracting my pecs completely. Good stretch at the bottom of each rep and nice contraction at the top of each rep. Overall set was excellent really pumped up my pecs with this one set. :p:p

Underhand Supported Lever Rows:

130 x 15

Great set of rows today!! Hammered the f*ck outta my lats 100%. Really pulled my elbows back as far as they would possibly go really beating up my lats completely. Overall set was great. Good pump in my back I think. Overall set again was really excellent.

Wide-grip Barbell Upright Rows:

80 x 15

Really good set of upright rows today. Hit my side delts and my traps completely. Really really good overall set. Traps got some good contractions as did my delts. Delts were pretty beat up from this set actually. Nice overall set.

Standing Barbell Curls:

65 x 15

Good set of standing BB curls today. Hit my biceps very very hard with some good contractions. Nice overall set I think. Biceps were pretty pumped from this one set. Good reps - little hard but nothing too bad. Actually a tough burn especially towards the end of the set.

Lying Cambered-bar Extensions:

90 x 15

Nice set of skulls today!! Hit my triceps very very hard. Overall set was great. Lowered the bar down to about my chin area and contracted my triceps hard at the top of the movement. Pump in my triceps was pretty good. Nice lactic acid buildup also.

Standing Barbell Reverse Curls:

50 x 15

Hard set of reverse curls today. Really hit my brachioradialis and my brachialis hard. Biceps were hit hard too. Overall set was good. Hit my arms and forearms hard. Finished off my biceps completely. Great finishing movement for my forearms as well.

Machine Crunches:

115 x 15

Nice set of machine crunches today. Some really really good abdominal contractions. :cool::cool: Good set I think. Great way to finish off my second HST workout. Nice lactic acid buildup in my abs I think from this set.
Training Length.
Lasted 35 minutes today. Might have lasted a little bit less if the gym was less crowded. Definitely not a big deal though flew through this workout.
Water.
Not enough. Need more tomorrow.
Weight.
First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 202 lbs. Actually pretty happy with my decrease in weight from yesterday. Dropped another 4 lbs. haha. I dont know how I am doing this sh!t. Dropped 7.5 lbs. the first day which was a refeed and 4 lbs. the next day. :eek::eek:

MonStar
07-07-2002, 12:39 PM
... Put my before picture in the actual post now on Page 1 of my journal - so it will be easier to view / locate. :):)

Silverback
07-07-2002, 01:20 PM
thanks for the links mike, i think i will wait until i have comlpeted my current cycle before, attempting hst, its sounds extremely promising and i think i'd be foolish not to try it.

One thing about you, how do you manage to take all those supplements yet alone afford them?the list is huge!

Marcel
07-07-2002, 03:38 PM
Wazzup Mike? I saw your pics. Your not totaly flabby and soft. Like others have mentioned great shoulders, nice lats, and arms. You look big bro. The more you lower your bodyfat the better you will look. Lower down to 10% or so and you will look wicked.

I think you know what you need to do to get ripped like you want to be. NO more bullsh*t binges. Keep up the hard work bro and I'm expecting to see a shredded Mike soon.

MonStar
07-07-2002, 07:36 PM
thanks for the links mike, i think i will wait until i have comlpeted my current cycle before, attempting hst, its sounds extremely promising and i think i'd be foolish not to try it.

Yeah check it out Big-Ron I think that youll find both links extremely helpful. They both are great for learning a great deal about HST. Yeah man you should give HST a shot and see what you think of it. I personally think that youll really like it man. Yeah its one of the best programs out currently if you ask me. People over at the HST forum are getting great results.

One thing about you, how do you manage to take all those supplements yet alone afford them?the list is huge!

Haha most are old stuff that once I run out of I wont even bother taking anymore. Stick to creatine, protein, multi-vitamin, MRPs, and thats about it. Plus food of course. :):)

MonStar
07-07-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Marcel
Wazzup Mike? I saw your pics. Your not totaly flabby and soft. Like others have mentioned great shoulders, nice lats, and arms. You look big bro. The more you lower your bodyfat the better you will look. Lower down to 10% or so and you will look wicked.

Yeah man I am really really flabby and soft trust me. Haha its actually really really really disgusting to say the least. I cant even take my shirt off without getting sick and puking. Haha it just makes me gag honestly to think I let myself get this way. In clothes I can cover it all up more ya know?

I think you know what you need to do to get ripped like you want to be. NO more bullsh*t binges. Keep up the hard work bro and I'm expecting to see a shredded Mike soon.

Yeah NO MORE f*cking binges is right man that sh!t f*cks me up badly I think. More than anything else if you ask me. I dont know well see how things go.

Gotta get my sh!t in order. "Time to move on, time to be strong. Dont stop now straight to the top now."

Johnny Vegas
07-07-2002, 11:45 PM
I've never tried HST, though I feel it's a very solid routine to follow. All I meant by a routine specifically geared to you is simply that there is a lot of collective brainpower here and between you providing the description of your ideal shape, we should be able to create a routine and diet that matches that goal. Now when I said we'd blow you up, I meant a couple things.

Firstly, you keep lifting and gaining, and we'll blow up your ego. And when you finish your cycle and move towards another set of goals, we'll help blow up your physique.

MonStar
07-08-2002, 01:55 AM
I've never tried HST, though I feel it's a very solid routine to follow. All I meant by a routine specifically geared to you is simply that there is a lot of collective brainpower here and between you providing the description of your ideal shape, we should be able to create a routine and diet that matches that goal. Now when I said we'd blow you up, I meant a couple things.

Yeah JV I really really recommend you giving HST a shot. Its a great routine probably going to be one of the most successful routines for the next decade or so I would imagine. At least for the next few years. People seem to experience better and better results with HST which is always a good thing.

Yeah I agree that a routine geared specifically to you is important to continually making gains. Also a routine that you like because no one is going to stick to a training regimen that they really dont care for I dont think. Personally - I really enjoy HST. :):)

Firstly, you keep lifting and gaining, and we'll blow up your ego. And when you finish your cycle and move towards another set of goals, we'll help blow up your physique.

Yeah I hope to blow up my ego when I finally drop my bf% down. Currently I am so f*cking fat its just unbelievable. I cant even start to deal with how fat I feel. As you probably saw in my before pic it was just horribly hideous looking. Such a damn shame how I could let my body go to waste. :mad::mad:

the doc
07-08-2002, 06:00 AM
Monstar just make sure that you see this though to the end. Regardless of how you feel things are going, perform this routine for at least 2 months before making any substantial changes

the doc
07-08-2002, 06:04 AM
also monstar your like the kid in school who complains every time you get a grade back that you did awful when you really got an a, just not a perfect score. I'm speaking in regard to this complaining about being fat. Now yes you have gained some fat, and you have also most likely gained some muscle. If you are training drug free then this is what is to be expected. You have good strength so be happy. You know most bbers are in off season shape most the year... why? because it is very difficult to be ripped year round and gain strength and mass (drug free)

MonStar
07-08-2002, 10:17 AM
Monstar just make sure that you see this though to the end. Regardless of how you feel things are going, perform this routine for at least 2 months before making any substantial changes

Yeah doc dont worry I will bro. Without a doubt man. I am going to stick with HST this time around no questions asked. I am almost 100% positive that it will work extremely well for me. And there is just no reason that I shouldnt take full advantage of such a great program. I would be stupid to let it go.

Thanks for the support doc. ;);)

MonStar
07-08-2002, 10:20 AM
also monstar your like the kid in school who complains every time you get a grade back that you did awful when you really got an a, just not a perfect score. I'm speaking in regard to this complaining about being fat. Now yes you have gained some fat, and you have also most likely gained some muscle. If you are training drug free then this is what is to be expected. You have good strength so be happy. You know most bbers are in off season shape most the year... why? because it is very difficult to be ripped year round and gain strength and mass (drug free)

Awesome post regarding natural BBs doc.

I honestly probably wouldnt have gained half as much fat as I did if I did go on these fast food binges and sh!t like that eating everything in site. Pretty stupid if you ask me. Not only is it ill disciplined and immature - it is jusy ruining my physique.

My midsection honestly hasnt been this fat in a long, long time. Probably before NHE like 6 months ago. I dont know what the hell my problem is but it is really really getting on my nerves. Need to get with the f*cking program and stop d!cking around. :mad::mad:

WannaBeStrong
07-08-2002, 10:21 AM
Anyhow, I see you are using high pulls for your shoulder workouts. Are these rough on your lower back at all? I am trying to get a catalog of excersize that don't f'uck my lower back up. It seems that my TrapBar Deadlifts are still killing it even with ridiculously light weight (150lbs x 25 reps this week). I could easily shoot that number up about 50lbs and not struggle but either my disk is getting compressed again or my lower back muscles can't handle the load, because that area is hella sore and miserable for a long time. OK enough bs'ing about my problems. You like the high pulls?

Oh, what's your hand placement look like on the bar? I was thinking about shoulder width seemed correct.

Check this --- high pulls. Do yours look similar? http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/HighPull.html

Peace.

MonStar
07-08-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by WannaBeStrong
Anyhow, I see you are using high pulls for your shoulder workouts. Are these rough on your lower back at all? I am trying to get a catalog of excersize that don't f'uck my lower back up. It seems that my TrapBar Deadlifts are still killing it even with ridiculously light weight (150lbs x 25 reps this week). I could easily shoot that number up about 50lbs and not struggle but either my disk is getting compressed again or my lower back muscles can't handle the load, because that area is hella sore and miserable for a long time. OK enough bs'ing about my problems. You like the high pulls?

A bad lower back can present a number of problems when it comes to working out. The high pulls that I am doing directly hit your side delts and your traps. Pretty much both very hard. I really really like them a lot. If you have sensetive rotator cuffs I advise you to be careful with this movement and start out with light weights.

Oh, what's your hand placement look like on the bar? I was thinking about shoulder width seemed correct.

Check this --- high pulls. Do yours look similar? http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/HighPull.html

Peace.

My hand placement is a little bit wider than shoulder-width grip.

The link that you posted is FAR from how I do my high pulls. I dont do any kind of body momentum at all. My version is simply a powerful upright row. Pulling the bar from about mid-thigh level to about my nipple level pretty powerfully. Using a little body English. Again like I said no bring the bar down to the floor or bending over or anything like the link suggested.

Maybe I am doing a variation of high pulls but this works best for me. :):)

WannaBeStrong
07-08-2002, 10:45 AM
When I think "high pull" I always pictured an upright row with momentum. When I saw the link I was like "uh...no thanks"

This seems to be what you're doing:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/BBUprightRow.html

I am probably going to add the upright row to my workout soon. My shoulders are in OK shape.

MonStar
07-08-2002, 10:48 AM
When I think "high pull" I always pictured an upright row with momentum. When I saw the link I was like "uh...no thanks"

This seems to be what you're doing:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/BBUprightRow.html

I am probably going to add the upright row to my workout soon. My shoulders are in OK shape.

Thats EXACTLY what I am doing. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah haha man I think I am going to go through and rename all of the times that I called it a high pull. I dont even know why I called it that. Generally upright rows are done with a close-grip so Ill just call them "Wide-grip Barbell Upright Rows." Haha I guess I was labeling them wrong this whole time.

Thanks for pointing that out to me WannaBeStrong.

MonStar
07-08-2002, 10:58 AM
F*cked up my before HST pic that was taken a few days ago on 7-5-2002 so I am going to repost it.

I am also going to keep a link to my motivational before pic at the top of each of my journal entries for inspiration to stick to my diet etc. Well see how things work out for me.

Here is the pic - I weighed 213.5 lbs. Really a sickening weight.

Dont gag too much. Hopefully HST will change all of this...

MonStar
07-08-2002, 11:00 AM
... Dont be too harsh keep in mind guys this was after a few days of pigging out on junkfood like some damn fat a*s. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

WannaBeStrong
07-08-2002, 11:10 AM
Dude, don't worry. We are all super self-conscious about our bodyfat even when it's not justified. I am fat and I weigh about 50lbs less *cackle*

Your lats, triceps, and forearms are looking good. :) Get some meat on your traps and it will compliment your physique well!

MonStar
07-08-2002, 11:24 AM
Dude, don't worry. We are all super self-conscious about our bodyfat even when it's not justified. I am fat and I weigh about 50lbs less *cackle*

Your lats, triceps, and forearms are looking good. :) Get some meat on your traps and it will compliment your physique well!

Yeah man I am like so f*cking hard on myself its unreal my girlfriend always is telling me how I shouldnt be so hard on myself etc. I dont know I just get this fat slob feeling and I go crazy oh my God. I feel like I am kind of satisfied for the time being at least with my muscle size just not with my bodyfat% level etc.

Thanks man.. again I tend to get a lot of compliments on my lats which is really insane because thats always been a VERY weak bodypart of mine. Crazy that anyone would say anything good about it. Well my traps were not flexed in any of those pics. I might attach another pic of my traps flexed. Theyre actually pretty decent. If I flex them hard they kind of make my delts look tiny. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

MonStar
07-08-2002, 11:29 AM

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 4
July 8, 2002

Cardio.
(AM) 20 minutes stationery bike, level 6.
Comments.
Feel pretty good today. Hopefully my "Supertraining" book will come in the mail today its been like 5 business days now I dont know what the f*ck is taking so damn long. Starting to really get on my nerves I keep hearing how great the book is. But Ill never know since it never comes in.

"Supertraining" came in the mail finally!! Looking forward to reading it.
Diet. Isocaloric Day.
Meal 1: Meso-Tech MRP + 1 cup skim milk
(420 calories, 60g protein, 36g carbs, 4g fat)

Meal 2: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 tbsp. peanut butter + 2 cups skim milk
(390 calories, 27g protein, 40g carbs, 17g fat)

Meal 3: 2 servings whey protein + 1 cup 2% milk
(380 calories, 52g protein, 24g carbs, 9g fat)

Total Calories:
Total (g) Protein:
Total (g) Carbs:
Total (g) Fat:
Pain/Soreness.
Feel good today. Pecs and hamstrings are a little sore but nothing too bad I dont think. Overall I feel good.
Sleep.
Last night I got 8 hours of sleep. :thumbup::thumbup: Good amount of sleep and didnt wake up at all!! This really made me feel good. Sleep is extremely important for recovery etc.
Supplements.
5g glutamine (+ 1 Lipodryl & 250 mg. usnic acid) precardio
1g vitamin C 3x today
1 Lipodryl 2x today
Training.
Rest.
Training Length.
N/A.
Water.
Weight.
First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 201 lbs. Awesome weight again today. Dropped a pound from yesterday which was really really surprising I expected to weigh around 203 lbs. Just because of water weight gain and everything like that. I will probably hover right around 200 lbs.

Johnny Vegas
07-08-2002, 12:04 PM
Give the fat boy talk a rest, my friend. You are always a "work in progress" and this is just a stage in that process. Besides, if you were perfect you wouldn't work out, and what fun is that? :)

MonStar
07-08-2002, 12:08 PM
Give the fat boy talk a rest, my friend. You are always a "work in progress" and this is just a stage in that process. Besides, if you were perfect you wouldn't work out, and what fun is that? :)

Good point JV never really thought about it that way. I know that each of us BBs are really a work in progress striving to improve certain bodyparts etc. Almost like Arnold said in "Pumping Iron," its a lot like sculpting. Just improving your weak parts etc. :cool::cool:

JV what do you think about HST?

Silverback
07-08-2002, 12:25 PM
just like to say that the doc's words on natural bb's were excellent, good motivation to anyone and knowledge.

MonStar
07-08-2002, 12:28 PM
just like to say that the doc's words on natural bb's were excellent, good motivation to anyone and knowledge.

Agreed man. It is a lot harder as a natural bodybuilder than it is to a drug induced bodybuilder. I mean on some cycles guys can practically eat whatever they want and they still gain muscle and dont get fat. Thats just incredible to me. I wont ever resort to the use of anabolics - thats for damn sure.

I honestly know that its still hard to gain muscle even while on anabolics but I still see that as the easy way out. I just think that these days there are so many options that are valuable there is no true reason to resort to illegal drug use. There are new training programs and new information about dieting etc. that can help a natural succeed. :cool::cool:

Johnny Vegas
07-08-2002, 12:29 PM
I like HST. I think it's a solid routine and builds a great base.

MonStar
07-08-2002, 12:32 PM
I like HST. I think it's a solid routine and builds a great base.

Oh okay man just curious what you think of it. I agree that its a great program. I was actually considering the next time around doing HST that I only do the four core movements: bench, squat, deadlifts, and pullups. See how my body handles that. I dont know I cant really decide at this point. :):)

Johnny Vegas
07-08-2002, 12:40 PM
How's your body handling HST? It seems from reading your journal that you're pretty happy with a lot of the results. Let's track your progress on each lift and build some averages when you're done, then you'll have some good data and facts about your body to build your next routine from.

MonStar
07-08-2002, 12:44 PM
How's your body handling HST? It seems from reading your journal that you're pretty happy with a lot of the results. Let's track your progress on each lift and build some averages when you're done, then you'll have some good data and facts about your body to build your next routine from.

Yeah well see how things go with HST. I think its a great routine. I am definitely going to do more than one cycle. Maybe just change up the exercises a tad. Like I said bench, squats, deads, and pullups maybe 2 sets each.

See how that goes. I cant decide yet really. I am happy with the results thus far theyre really a lot of fun. I feel like not doing deadlifts though maybe a downside but I decided to go with SLDLs instead. Oh well I dont think its too big of a deal. :):)

Johnny Vegas
07-08-2002, 12:47 PM
Deadlifts are such a clusterf*ck lift. It doesn't build muscle on naturals as well as many people think, so you have to accept that strength is the biggest thing you'll get from such a painful and exhausting lift.

MonStar
07-08-2002, 12:50 PM
Deadlifts are such a clusterf*ck lift. It doesn't build muscle on naturals as well as many people think, so you have to accept that strength is the biggest thing you'll get from such a painful and exhausting lift.

Really? You dont care for deadlifts huh? Why do you do a compound cycle then of bench, squats, deads, and pullups? Doesnt make too much sense if you ask me. Why dont you think that deadlifts build muscle on naturals the way that people think?

Curious have you EVER done any kind of anabolics?

You think that strength in deadlifts is the only thing that Ill gain from deadlifts? That makes me feel better if youre correct. Because I be be doing deadlifts this HST cycle at all.

Johnny Vegas
07-08-2002, 01:05 PM
Really? You dont care for deadlifts huh? Why do you do a compound cycle then of bench, squats, deads, and pullups? Doesnt make too much sense if you ask me. Why dont you think that deadlifts build muscle on naturals the way that people think?

I think deadlifts are great for strength. Bar none, they are the best overall strength gainer I've ever done. Squats are pretty close, though. But I don't think they build mass on naturals as much as people think. Even chris mason's recent lat spread pics could be evidence. He has a great physique, but it appears the majority of his mass is in his lats. Perhaps it was the camera angle, and by NO MEANS am I knocking his physique, but he's a strong guy and his traps don't appear to reflect the weight he lifts.

Curious have you EVER done any kind of anabolics?

Never in my life, nor will I ever. Steroids are for guys who want to compete on a national level ONLY.

You think that strength in deadlifts is the only thing that Ill gain from deadlifts? That makes me feel better if youre correct.

Yes, I think the strength you gain will far outweigh the size you gain. Let your back mass come from your lats anyways, that looks a lot more fearsome. :)

MonStar
07-08-2002, 01:11 PM
I think deadlifts are great for strength. Bar none, they are the best overall strength gainer I've ever done.

Okay I am wondering what you mean by this. Do you mean strength gainer as in you got stronger in deadlifts? Or strength gainer as in your got stronger in all of your exercises? Like overall strength gainer or just deadlift strength gainer? Also do you feel theyre valuable for bodybuilding purposes at all?

Squats are pretty close, though. But I don't think they build mass on naturals as much as people think. Even chris mason's recent lat spread pics could be evidence. He has a great physique, but it appears the majority of his mass is in his lats. Perhaps it was the camera angle, and by NO MEANS am I knocking his physique, but he's a strong guy and his traps don't appear to reflect the weight he lifts.

Yeah squats are a great movement I love doing them. You dont think they build mass on naturals either huh JV? Wow thats an interesting perspective. Yeah chris mason is definitely MASSIVE so to speak. I think that his lats are just an outstanding bodypart. The way that everyone has different strongpoints.

I believe it was chris though that said that his back was pretty much built without deadlifts.

Never in my life, nor will I ever. Steroids are for guys who want to compete on a national level ONLY.

Yeah I kind of agree with that - and I am the same way I never have and never will. I just find it VERY hard to believe that youre as strong as you are and big as you are (6' 290 lbs.) Even if you are around 20% bodyfat that means you have a good 230 lbs. of lean body mass which is great for a natural. Are you trying to drop the fat off to get your bf% down?

Yes, I think the strength you gain will far outweigh the size you gain. Let your back mass come from your lats anyways, that looks a lot more fearsome. :)

Yeah I understand what youre saying. I agree that huge lats look incredible. My back currently is nothing special I dont think which is a damn shame. But I am going to try hard to make it grow big time. I dont think Ill ever get as big as guys like chris mason but I am sure as hell gonna try. :D:D

Johnny Vegas
07-08-2002, 01:23 PM
Yeah squats are a great movement I love doing them. You dont think they build mass on naturals either huh JV?

Sorry, I formed a bad sentence there. I meant to say that squats are the second best strength gainer to deadlifts. I think squats are great for size as well as strength, though.

Like overall strength gainer or just deadlift strength gainer? Also do you feel theyre valuable for bodybuilding purposes at all?

Overall strength. For bodybuilding I think they build a good strong base, but they don't necessarily buld your body.

Yeah I kind of agree with that - and I am the same way I never have and never will. I just find it VERY hard to believe that youre as strong as you are and big as you are (6' 290 lbs.) Even if you are around 20% bodyfat that means you have a good 230 lbs. of lean body mass which is great for a natural. Are you trying to drop the fat off to get your bf% down?

If the 20% holds up under a more accurate testing method, I'd be very surprised, as I've said before. I have never really looked into dropping body fat or going into any type of cutting diet, that'll be an entirely new world of learning.

MonStar
07-08-2002, 01:26 PM
Sorry, I formed a bad sentence there. I meant to say that squats are the second best strength gainer to deadlifts. I think squats are great for size as well as strength, though.

Thats okay man. Dont worry about it. Squats are a great movement I agree. Full ROM deadlifts I am really not too fond of to be honest. I am not sure why I just dont feel like theyre all that beneficial in terms of putting on quality muscle.

Overall strength. For bodybuilding I think they build a good strong base, but they don't necessarily buld your body.

Agreed.

If the 20% holds up under a more accurate testing method, I'd be very surprised, as I've said before. I have never really looked into dropping body fat or going into any type of cutting diet, that'll be an entirely new world of learning.

Yeah I was wondering about that. What is your diet like?

Also do you consider yourself flabby because 20% bodyfat is definitely soft and flabby. I read somewhere that you said you had abs or something like that?

Silverback
07-08-2002, 01:27 PM
no way mike, i think it is extremely possible that you will get lats like chris, if you want them you will get them. Im with you on deadlifts, since ive started doing them, i have begun to get somewhere, instead of being a twig, along with eating lots (still along way to go though)

in my opinion the back is a true sign of a quality iron-man and you have got that in abbundance already.

Johnny Vegas
07-08-2002, 01:30 PM
I don't know if I'd say "flabby." :) I'm not cut up or ripped by any means, either. And in conclusion, if I pull my arms up behind my head and flex my abs, you can see the 4 pack a bit. It doesn't blaze out there like a magazine cover model, but they're there. My legs are what I'd consider my "soft spot."

MonStar
07-08-2002, 02:14 PM
no way mike, i think it is extremely possible that you will get lats like chris, if you want them you will get them. Im with you on deadlifts, since ive started doing them, i have begun to get somewhere, instead of being a twig, along with eating lots (still along way to go though)

Yeah I dont know man lats like chris's are tough to get I think. He is a true vet when it comes to bodybuilding. Something like 14 years training experience. And also I think that his lats are one of his stronger points. Like always Ill try extremely hard to pack some size onto my lats through the next year or so. Well see.

Yeah man deadlifts are a good overall movement. Personally I dont think that theyre like unbelievable and you wont grow without them etc. But I do think that they can help.

in my opinion the back is a true sign of a quality iron-man and you have got that in abbundance already.

Yeah man a huge pair of lats is definitely a sign of a true bodybuilder if you ask me. Nothing makes a guy look bigger I dont think. Huge flaring lats, and extremely wide delts. Width definitely presents the illusion of great size in my opinion. :p:p

MonStar
07-08-2002, 02:14 PM
I don't know if I'd say "flabby." :) I'm not cut up or ripped by any means, either. And in conclusion, if I pull my arms up behind my head and flex my abs, you can see the 4 pack a bit. It doesn't blaze out there like a magazine cover model, but they're there. My legs are what I'd consider my "soft spot."

Thats cool man. Well heres a question - would you consider yourself more or less flabby than me in the pics I posted on Page 3. Or you can just click the link at the top of any of my journal entries. I weighed 213.5 lbs. there and I was flabby as f*ck. Jesus. :(:(

Johnny Vegas
07-08-2002, 02:26 PM
I'm just a whole lot bigger than you in general. My whole structure, everything. It's hard to compare, but I'm probly close to that, albeit on a larger scale. I'm not trying to come off demeaning at all, it's just that our body types are very different.

MonStar
07-08-2002, 02:34 PM
I'm just a whole lot bigger than you in general. My whole structure, everything. It's hard to compare, but I'm probly close to that, albeit on a larger scale. I'm not trying to come off demeaning at all, it's just that our body types are very different.

Oh yeah okay man I understand what youre saying. Tough to compare because of how much larger you are etc. That makes perfect sense to me its all good dont worry about it. I was just curious. :):)

MarshallPenn
07-08-2002, 04:51 PM
Mike, I think just about anyone be hard pressed to get lats like Chris' naturally. Also, how will deadlifts get you them? They're just not the best lat excersise.

On bodyfat, 20% BF is not necessarily soft and flabby at all. Especially on a big guy. If someone is 290lbs drug free at a height of 6', they should easily have 20% BF or more.

By the way, I said your "diet" was a horrible choice because you keep binging off of it and you eat almost no real food. It can't be healthy at all.

Incidentally, what do you think your bodyfat is in those photos? What do you think it was at 237lbs?

MarshallPenn
07-08-2002, 09:48 PM
Mike, before you start a new journal again, I'm bumping this to the top so you can read this.

MonStar
07-08-2002, 09:49 PM
MarshallPenn:

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi

Please go to this board in the HST forum and check out my 2 posts. I am just going to do a modified HST thats all. I think that I have WAY too many exercises right now. I am switching to just bench, squat, deadlifts, and chins.

MarshallPenn
07-08-2002, 09:53 PM
I'm curious to see how this works. I've thought of dropping some myself. What makes you feel like you are doing too many exercises?

MonStar
07-08-2002, 10:00 PM
I'm curious to see how this works. I've thought of dropping some myself. What makes you feel like you are doing too many exercises?

Just the feeling that I am doing FAR too many while I am in the gym. My workouts are not long by any means but I feel like I am just doing one exercise after another after another after another. Just too redundant. I mean I hit my triceps with flat BB presses, then again with skulls, etc. ya know?

Maybe this:

(1) squats
(2) flat BB presses
(3) pullups
(4) deadlifts (full ROM)

But guys @ HST think I am going injure my lower back.. ?

Johnny Vegas
07-08-2002, 10:01 PM
How many sets of each do you plan to do? I would suggest taking a long break between exercises. And during the break you might want to drink a gatorade or two. And how many days do you plan to rest between working days?

I happen to be a big fan of the idea, for what it's worth.

MonStar
07-08-2002, 10:05 PM
How many sets of each do you plan to do? I would suggest taking a long break between exercises. And during the break you might want to drink a gatorade or two. And how many days do you plan to rest between working days?

I happen to be a big fan of the idea, for what it's worth.

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=3d2a57f36725ffff;act=ST;f=11;t=323

I described the WAY that I am going to be training here. Check it out I dont feel like retyping whole thing. Or check out my last post in Belial's journal.

I think those 4 exercises are all you really need. Maybe some calf work. Everything else gets hit.

Johnny Vegas
07-08-2002, 10:13 PM
Awesome.

You're going to build a huge base with this routine. I think you'll be really happy with the way your body shapes as well, despite what a lot of folks think about direct work.

Are you going to adjust your diet as well, or just the routine at this time?

MonStar
07-08-2002, 10:15 PM
Awesome.

You're going to build a huge base with this routine. I think you'll be really happy with the way your body shapes as well, despite what a lot of folks think about direct work.

Are you going to adjust your diet as well, or just the routine at this time?

I sure do hope so JV. I dont know anyone, if anyone, that has tried the 4 core movements with BAD results.

I cant decide if I should do dips or flat BB presses. Because dips are more or less a more mechanical lift - going through a plane of space.

Johnny Vegas
07-08-2002, 10:26 PM
I do bench when doing only compounds mostly because I like bench more. But now you've peaked my interest in trying dips next time around. Pick what you like, or alternate between them when you start a new cycle. You'll see better results if you enjoy the exercises you're doing.

MonStar
07-08-2002, 10:28 PM
Yeah I know what your saying JV. Most people say the 3 core BB strength movements are bench, squat, and deads.

But I dont know though man. Because honestly dips are a full upper body movement. Chest and triceps especially along with front delts etc. Also your body is moving through a plane of place which I always read is good.

HK
07-10-2002, 12:34 PM
do not bump unused journals.

I'll only warn you once.