PDA

View Full Version : Whey

Tru
07-05-2002, 02:10 PM
Is whey worthless anytime except postworkout?

Someone told me you don't even digest it any other times and it's not eve like you're getting that protein...

To me, it seems like protein is protein... so that would be bs...

Is that true?

Tiare
07-05-2002, 03:16 PM
Protein is protein: yes and no.

Whey protein is broken down and assimilated very quickly into your body. Because of this, you digest all of it but some of it is not very useful as protein because your body can't use it all as quickly as it's digested so it doesn't use it all the way you wish that it did (to make muscle). But the same thing could probably be said about every type of protein.

Whey is a transitional protein that is complete and well received by your body, but you are usually better off getting your protein from slower sources. Remember that whey is seperated out when milk turns to cheese so drinking milk will get you a lot of the same benefits as whey and eggs, cottage cheese and meats will all be absorbed over a longer period of time allowing them to be more fully assimilated. Just my opinion.

Tru
07-05-2002, 03:30 PM
Well i'm taking whey @ 10:00, just because I don't really have anything else cheap to eat in between breakfast eggs, and chicken breast for lunch.....

Should I eat something different?

I also take whey postworkout

NateDogg
07-05-2002, 03:53 PM
Try having it with milk to slow the absorption.

Tru
07-05-2002, 05:09 PM
yeah, i do... Supposedly it's still worthless... people say anyway..

davetha1
07-05-2002, 07:15 PM
Why would whey be worthless? That makes no freaking sense what so ever..

Vido
07-05-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by NateDogg
Try having it with milk to slow the absorption.

Try having it with natty pb or flax oil to slow the absorption better.

Vido
07-05-2002, 10:31 PM
Assuming you are eating every couple of hours anyway as many people on this site do, then something that is assimilated quickly like whey is fine imo. The only time I would really advise against it is before bed.

Holto
07-06-2002, 01:30 PM
exactly Vido...

straight whey is only good when you know for sure you will be getting more protein in 2 hours

I also think that whey mixed with milk is THE best way to slow the absorbtion

the effect fat has on digestion of whey is neglible

this is why milk has casein and whey

the casein significantly slows the absorbtion

Tru
07-06-2002, 02:57 PM
Ok guys... thanks :)