PDA

View Full Version : 100g or less carb club

big calvin
07-06-2002, 05:51 PM
whos in it???

my question is how do u split your carbs? just around your workout? very small amounts each meal? half the day?

Maki Riddington
07-06-2002, 06:10 PM
I was.

I had 25 grams for breakfast.
25 grams pre workout and 50 post workout.

Celestial
07-06-2002, 06:23 PM
Meeeeeeeeee:D

Celestial
07-06-2002, 06:25 PM
Oh bTW I try to eat them all before 5pm or so.

Maki Riddington
07-06-2002, 06:34 PM
Why before 5?

Mystic Eric
07-06-2002, 07:03 PM
I have about 600 g of carbs each day... :eek:

Celestial
07-06-2002, 07:09 PM
So that they arent stored, have a better chance at being burned off before I go to bed. So when I workout in the morn my body is forced to burn fat as fuel......thats what i was told.

Maki Riddington
07-06-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Celestial
So that they arent stored, have a better chance at being burned off before I go to bed. So when I workout in the morn my body is forced to burn fat as fuel......thats what i was told.

*** I had a long post typed out for you, but I erased it.:mad:
So I'll just say that you're better off eating right up til bedtime.

big calvin
07-06-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington

:p

i agree with maki.

Vido
07-07-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington

She didn't say anything about not eating right until bed time. READ THE POST MAKI. HaHaHaHa How many times have you said that to me? :D
I'm sure she eats protein and fat right up until bedtime, just not carbs. Cutting carbs mid-afternoon or so is a technique used by many and I'm sure you have heard of it. This helps those of us who are not ectomorphs limit fat gain. You are Asian, so I'll make a false generalization and assume that you have a fast metabolism. Therefore, the "late-night" carbs would not affect you.

freztek
07-07-2002, 12:08 AM
I've been trying to keep my carbs below 100 for a month now. I say at least 4 days a week they are below. I haven't mastered it yet :( Still trying!

Mystic Eric
07-07-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Vido

She didn't say anything about not eating right until bed time. READ THE POST MAKI. HaHaHaHa How many times have you said that to me? :D
I'm sure she eats protein and fat right up until bedtime, just not carbs. Cutting carbs mid-afternoon or so is a technique used by many and I'm sure you have heard of it. This helps those of us who are not ectomorphs limit fat gain. You are Asian, so I'll make a false generalization and assume that you have a fast metabolism. Therefore, the "late-night" carbs would not affect you.

Could you please explain why cutting carbs before bed time helps limit fat gain?

Maki's not really an "ectomorph" (btw, most people cannot be categorized into either one of the 3 "body compositions"). The guy is over 210 pounds.

Celestial
07-07-2002, 12:24 AM
I eat up to bed time
just try to eat low carbs beofre bed hehe

freztek
07-07-2002, 12:35 AM
I've been trying to keep my carbs below 100 for a month now. I say at least 4 days a week they are below. I haven't mastered it yet :( Still trying!

Maki Riddington
07-07-2002, 01:18 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vido
[B]

*** Good god Vido, heaven almighty. Before you try to pick my posts apart it would help if you used some common sense.

*** In short I did say that, but I was addressing her carb comment. So you have me there.
Now, can you show us all where it's proven (scientifically) that cutting carbs before 5pm is indeed a fact and not a myth?

Also, there is not a clear and cut body type. So your assumption that ectomorphes have to do certain things to ensure fat gain is limited is again a myth. Unless you can prove it??
Most likely not.

gopher
07-07-2002, 11:07 AM
Right now I'm shooting for 100 gr of carbs 5 days a week and 2 carb up days with about 300 gr. about 200 of those come from the cab up meal alone. I can hardly wait for the fall when I will be eating around 300 grs every day!

Vido
07-07-2002, 12:10 PM
To Eric and Maki: Carbs provide energy for workouts and daily activity, but you are winding down at the end of the day. When you consume carbs late at night, they tend to be unused and are more likely to be stored as bodyfat. Now, that being said, 5:00pm isn't necessarily that late for some people who go to bed at 2am or something. However, cutting carbs off at a certain point during the day cannot hurt, but can only have positive effects (this is assuming that a)you get enough total calories for the day and b) that you have eaten enough carbs to help re-fill glycogen stores earlier in the day).
Also, Eric, just because someone has worked hard to improve their body (like Maki) and now weighs 210 lbs does not mean that they don't have a fast metabolism. To get to that size he most likely had to work harder and smarter than someone who was naturally bigger to begin with. The 3 different body compositions refer to metabolisms and bodyshapes if these people were to consume the SAME or SIMILAR diets. If an ectomorph (or "hardgainer") makes sure to consume the number of calories that HE/SHE needs to make gains (not what a mesomorph or an endomorph needs) then they too will be able to succeed in bodybuilding. The reason that there is such a thing as a "hardgainer" is because these people have fast metabolisms, but do not make the necessary adjustments with their diet. They continue to eat the same as someone with a slower metabolism (who does not need as many cals per day to make gains) and then blame genetics for not getting bigger. Genetics are a limiting factor, but are also an excuse used by far too many.

Maki Riddington
07-07-2002, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vido
[B]To Eric and Maki: Carbs provide energy for workouts and daily activity, but you are winding down at the end of the day. When you consume carbs late at night, they tend to be unused and are more likely to be stored as bodyfat.

*** Again, this is unsubstaniated misinformation.
Carbs are not likely to be used less at night unless your eating patterns are inconsistant. If you eat a carefully balanced diet making sure that the right type of carbs are being ingested in the right amounts it will only benifit you. This last statement touches on what Celest was saying about being in a more fasted state for morning cardio. Like I mentioned, I had typed something up and then accidentally erased it. If I must type it out again I will.

Now, that being said, 5:00pm isn't necessarily that late for some people who go to bed at 2am or something. However, cutting carbs off at a certain point during the day cannot hurt, but can only have positive effects (this is assuming that a)you get enough total calories for the day and b) that you have eaten enough carbs to help re-fill glycogen stores earlier in the day).

*** This wasn't my point, my point was that it's ok to eat your carbs right up to bed. Cutting carbs off at 5pm is something that has been espoused for many years. It's a myth, stating that fat gain will follow if you do eat after this time period.

You can't restore gylocgen stores in less then 24 hours. It takes at least 24 hours to do this.

Also, Eric, just because someone has worked hard to improve their body (like Maki) and now weighs 210 lbs does not mean that they don't have a fast metabolism. To get to that size he most likely had to work harder and smarter than someone who was naturally bigger to begin with.

*** I have a slow metabolism now. It was fast when I was younger. Not anymore.

The 3 different body compositions refer to metabolisms and bodyshapes if these people were to consume the SAME or SIMILAR diets. If an ectomorph (or "hardgainer") makes sure to consume the number of calories that HE/SHE needs to make gains (not what a mesomorph or an endomorph needs) then they too will be able to succeed in bodybuilding. The reason that there is such a thing as a "hardgainer" is because these people have fast metabolisms, but do not make the necessary adjustments with their diet. They continue to eat the same as someone with a slower metabolism (who does not need as many cals per day to make gains) and then blame genetics for not getting bigger. Genetics are a limiting factor, but are also an excuse used by far too many.

*** Categories have made up over the years so that people can feel better about where they stand in relation to other people.
Categories can not be used when it comes to the human body. We are all complex entities that are all different on all levels.
If we were to look closer we would see that even though there are some similarities it still doesn't justify lumping people into these make belief groups.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-07-2002, 01:15 PM
When you consume carbs late at night, they tend to be unused and are more likely to be stored as bodyfat.

Only if your glycogen stores are completely full will spillover occur. And lest yee not forget about thermogenesis of foods (ie you need calories to digest food) or wastage (ie egestion).

Now i personally arrange my carbs earlier in the day, or around training (no matter what time i train if this is the case - i'd drink a dex/malto/whey shake at midnight if i'd just finished training) but purely because of a) the type of diet i do and b) i prefer the more favourable fat burning effects of hormones from eating meals consisting of protein,fat and fibre later in the day. You can burn fat in the presence of insulin, but not spiked insulin. (got that off John Beradi from an earlier T-mag article i believe, maki, before you start asking for references :)) From protein you stimulate glucagon release, fat stimulates lipases and the fibre ensures a slower digestion and so insulin is kept steady and controlled.

Of course, calories play a large part also.

the doc
07-07-2002, 01:20 PM
ideally insulin levels would always be in parity with glucagen.

Goin_Big
07-07-2002, 01:35 PM
I usually try not to eat anything after 8 pm, but I'm also cutting on around 200-300 carbs a day *shrugs*.

I don't like low carb diets, but I will probably do one for 6-8 weeks when I go back to college.

Vido
07-07-2002, 04:02 PM
Maki, you say it's a myth. Where is YOUR "scientific" evidence? Actually wait...oh yeah...I don't care where it is. Some of us don't need evidence to tell us something that we have seen our own bodies experience. Let me ask you something Maki. What happens when you sit outside in 30 degrees Celsius weather with no sun tan lotion on for 5 hours? Uhhhhhhh....let me think...oh yeah, you burn to a crisp. Now, did I figure that out from some scientific experiment? NO!!!!!! What happens when you drink 8 L of water in a span of a couple of hours (other than you get bloated)? Yes, that's right, you have to pee like a racehorse. Was it really that hard to answer those questions? I don't think it was. And guess what...I didn't use ANY scientific evidence to draw my conclusions. Now isn't that amazing! :eek: The majority of studies out there use test subjects that have nothing in common with bodybuilders (such as tests done on rodents or post-menopausal women). Of course, there are useful studies done that use subjects we can relate to, but the point is that scientific experiments are not nearly as relevant as one's own experience.
Believe it or not, it isn't just me who sees visible results when cutting carbs late in the day. Everyone I know that has tried it has seen results. It might make you look flatter, but you won't gain the fat. And I don't need a $#%^!@ study to tell me that!

Vido
07-07-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Goin_Big
I usually try not to eat anything after 8 pm, but I'm also cutting on around 200-300 carbs a day *shrugs*.

I don't like low carb diets, but I will probably do one for 6-8 weeks when I go back to college.

Not eating anything after 8:00pm is extremely catabolic unless you are going to sleep shortly thereafter. IMO you should be eating right up until bedtime, whether you are bulking or cutting.

Maki Riddington
07-07-2002, 05:27 PM
Maki, you say it's a myth. Where is YOUR "scientific" evidence? Actually wait...oh yeah...I don't care where it is. Some of us don't need evidence to tell us something that we have seen our own bodies experience. Let me ask you something Maki. What happens when you sit outside in 30 degrees Celsius weather with no sun tan lotion on for 5 hours? Uhhhhhhh....let me think...oh yeah, you burn to a crisp. Now, did I figure that out from some scientific experiment? NO!!!!!! What happens when you drink 8 L of water in a span of a couple of hours (other than you get bloated)? Yes, that's right, you have to pee like a racehorse. Was it really that hard to answer those questions? I don't think it was. And guess what...I didn't use ANY scientific evidence to draw my conclusions. Now isn't that amazing! :eek: The majority of studies out there use test subjects that have nothing in common with bodybuilders (such as tests done on rodents or post-menopausal women). Of course, there are useful studies done that use subjects we can relate to, but the point is that scientific experiments are not nearly as relevant as one's own experience.
Believe it or not, it isn't just me who sees visible results when cutting carbs late in the day. Everyone I know that has tried it has seen results. It might make you look flatter, but you won't gain the fat. And I don't need a $#%^!@ study to tell me that!

*** Vido, you really need to look at my posts and read them over so you can clearly understand my point. I explained that cutting carbs will not lead to fat gain so you can eat right past 5:00. I never said that cutting carbs in the evening was a bad thing. The underlying message is that it will lead to fat gain. This is wrong, granted you are eating 'properly' throughout the entire day.
A myth is born through mindless propoganda. One that has no backing behind it. Emperically and scientifically.

If you are to debate a subject make sure you understand the post first and the meaning behind it. It gets quite tedious repeating ones self over like a grade school teacher.

Maki Riddington
07-07-2002, 05:30 PM

Not eating anything after 8:00pm is extremely catabolic unless you are going to sleep shortly thereafter. IMO you should be eating right up until bedtime, whether you are bulking or cutting.

*** Again, this is wrong. You will fall into a catobolic state when your amino acid pool is empty. This takes more than a sleep cycle to happen. Note, you used the word "extremely."

Manveet
07-07-2002, 05:38 PM
If you are to debate a subject make sure you understand the post first and the meaning behind it. It gets quite tedious repeating ones self over like a grade school teacher.

bwahahaha, man this thread is entertaining, btw I'm on Maki's side:D

Mystic Eric
07-09-2002, 02:27 AM
Bump

Celestial
07-09-2002, 09:25 AM
I eat right up until bed. Actually I ate carbs late last night cause I didnt eat enough yesterday. ANYWAYS, I usually try to stop carbs in early evening but I will grub on other stuff until its time to go to sleep:)

g-dot
07-09-2002, 03:29 PM
Frankly, everyone is too quick to side against and always ready to snap at everyone who disagrees with a mod, or well respected member of the board like maki, mason, etc. Cutting carbs before bed isn't anything new at all, it's a staple of many bodybuilding diets. Personally I don't care about seeing "scientific" studies regarding cutting carbs at night because you're never going to find a relevant one. Modern science can't give two $%#%# about a bodybuilders diet. Most reputable studies are only sligthly relevant to bodybuilding where you may be able to take a few of the findings out of them and apply them to your training. This is the case because the general population doesn't look at ways to find out how to build an impressive physique as being particularly worth examining and the scientific community shares similar opinions on the matter. Science and medicine are worried about health, not twenty inch arms. Everyone asks for all this "scientific" evidence on topics in bodybuilding and it's the biggest joke in the world. Half the time it's a cop out. You disagree with what someone says so you say "listen buddy, give me some studies to back it up" knowing full well he probably can't just to make it look like you have a point. The fact is even if he HAD read studies, what's the chance he has them on hand? What's the odds he cares enough about some guy on the internet challenging him to prove some point beyond any possible doubt in the world? The fact of the matter is people doing this aren't trying to answer the question, they're trying to discredit the other person involved in the argument.

Maki Riddington
07-09-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by g-dot
Frankly, everyone is too quick to side against and always ready to snap at everyone who disagrees with a mod, or well respected member of the board like maki, mason, etc.

*** Maybe it has to do with explaining things in a way everyone can understand? Or maybe it has to do with the fact that some people are set on preachings things as being the best way?
I've had my fair share of dealing with many members who have either disagreed with my posts or have even ridiculed me.

Cutting carbs before bed isn't anything new at all, it's a staple of many bodybuilding diets.

*** What has been deemed a "staple" or common practice doesn't mean it's the best way or even right for that matter. The bodybuilding industry is rife with fallacies. I don't think I need to list any examples?

Personally I don't care about seeing "scientific" studies regarding cutting carbs at night because you're never going to find a relevant one. Modern science can't give two $%#%# about a bodybuilders diet. Most reputable studies are only sligthly relevant to bodybuilding where you may be able to take a few of the findings out of them and apply them to your training. This is the case because the general population doesn't look at ways to find out how to build an impressive physique as being particularly worth examining and the scientific community shares similar opinions on the matter. Science and medicine are worried about health, not twenty inch arms. Everyone asks for all this "scientific" evidence on topics in bodybuilding and it's the biggest joke in the world. Half the time it's a cop out. You disagree with what someone says so you say "listen buddy, give me some studies to back it up" knowing full well he probably can't just to make it look like you have a point. The fact is even if he HAD read studies, what's the chance he has them on hand? What's the odds he cares enough about some guy on the internet challenging him to prove some point beyond any possible doubt in the world? The fact of the matter is people doing this aren't trying to answer the question, they're trying to discredit the other person involved in the argument.

*** Science plays a integral role in paving the way for new findings. Just because there are a limited resource of studies using bodybuilders doesn't mean we should discredit science or scoff at it. It's when people start throwing around fallacies of fitness and making broad statements. That's when we need to look at science. In this case, if we look at what is known about the human body and how it reacts we will see that is based upon scientific findings. Taking the word of a internet poster is not a good way of going about learning nor debating various topics. What we can do to learn more about the body, is to look at science for direction and use our practical experience as discretion.

Celestial
07-09-2002, 06:25 PM
Well all I know is when I started to doing this (cutting carbs to 100g a day or less and trying not to eat carbs late at night) The body fat started to go bye bye's more efficently than anything else I have done.

Goin_Big
07-09-2002, 06:44 PM
Hey Celestial, how much fat/weight did you lose per week doing 100 carbs a day, and how much protein and fat did you have?

Also, did you maintain strength?

same question is for anyone dieting like this.

I'm thinking about doing it when I got back to school, so that I can get mah abs.

Celestial
07-09-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Goin_Big
Hey Celestial, how much fat/weight did you lose per week doing 100 carbs a day, and how much protein and fat did you have?

Also, did you maintain strength?

same question is for anyone dieting like this.

I'm thinking about doing it when I got back to school, so that I can get mah abs.

Ummies the first time I tried it I lost 15 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks and thar was back in October. I didnt stay on it back then for many reasons. Thats back when I was with my ex and he played ******* mind games with me. Anyways I just started doing that again almost about a month ago (3 weeks prolly) and I dont weigh myself often (trying for once a month) because there has been a few times that my weight has gone up a lil but I lost body fat, even though that is good, it depressed me cause I want the scale to go down. I KNNOOOWWWW it doesnt matter how much you weigh as long as you are in good shape, but you know how the mind games can be. OK anyways this friday is my weigh in day and I can tell you how much I lost in the last month. I doubt it will be all too much cause the weight drops so much slower for me now then it used to, since I am in the final stretch, if you know what I mean. As far as fat I tried to keep my fat and sat fat moderate and my protein high. And as far as strength, my lifts are going up:D hehe

Goin_Big
07-09-2002, 06:58 PM
Alright, thank ya much Celestial.

Yea, my bad, I'm currently still at the point where I need to lose weight, not just fat :)

So I just kinda think in that mindset.

Celestial
07-09-2002, 08:31 PM
We are both fat asses:D

Maki Riddington
07-09-2002, 09:25 PM
Hey, you said it.:eek:

tudmuf2b
07-10-2002, 07:34 AM
Hey, I'm in this club too. :)

It's just hard not eating them at night because my wife like to cook pasta or rice, and I just can't say no. I do eat a very small portion of it tho'.

freztek
07-10-2002, 10:13 AM
tudmuf2b I'm right there with you on that one. Thats where I have the hardest time with my freakin carbs. My wife gets tired of me cooking up lean beef, or chicken, and she hates seafood besides tuna...so she usually will pick 2-3 meals a week that is loaded with carbs. The one that really gets me is going to my mother in laws home for dinner. She is always baking and cooking, hard to leave there without going overboard on the ol'carbs. Its a learning process for me. Thats real hard :)

tudmuf2b
07-10-2002, 11:26 AM
Hey freztek,

That's too funny man! At least I know I'm not alone in the world! :)

I try to eat about 60g of carbs by noon, and then leave the rest for dinner. So I'm usually at 100-115g a day, when the wife's cooking. I guess that extra 15g ain't that bad, cause I've lost a lot of weight and still have most of the muscle mass I had before this diet.

Goin_Big
07-10-2002, 12:23 PM
is a refeed day required on a 100g carb diet?

I was thinking if I get a chance to do it I would be best off going 4 weeks straight. The temptation might be too much if I had even one day of cheating. Just wondering.