PDA

View Full Version : About protein...

The Badass
07-07-2002, 03:32 PM
It's not possible to get fat from protein shakes, is it? I drink them with fat free milk, and I drink 2-3 a day to make sure I get my needed protein.

I just want to make sure this isn't going to make me gain back any of the bodyfat I've already lost...

piemonster411
07-07-2002, 03:34 PM
Read the nutrional info on the bottle

The Badass
07-07-2002, 03:42 PM
That didn't really answer my question....

Put it this way....is too much protein fattening?

davetha1
07-07-2002, 03:53 PM
No

The Badass
07-08-2002, 08:08 PM
Does protein just sit in your body until it's used?

xzioptix
07-08-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by The Badass
That didn't really answer my question....

Put it this way....is too much protein fattening?

I've heard many say that you can never have enough protein...

but I think as long as you are getting around 1 gram per lb. of bodyweight, you should worry more about how many carbs or fat you're taking in. The total is what tips the scales either to gaining or losing weight.

If it is in excess, I think that protein can be stored as fat just as any other type of excess calorie... (in other words, too much of anything is exactly what it is, too much)

iLUDEd
07-09-2002, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by xzioptix

If it is in excess, I think that protein can be stored as fat

ive heard this to.. but as long as your not consuming a hell of alot more than 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight i dont see it being too much

xzioptix
07-09-2002, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by SS-GOHAN

ive heard this to.. but as long as your not consuming a hell of alot more than 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight i dont see it being too much

yep..

I remember last year I read this stupid friggin FLEX article saying to push the envelope and hit like 1.8-2.0 or more grams per pound.. It said that you'll get all these mass gains, etc..

I hate FLEX. It is so not for the average trainer.

(yeah, we got real fat...)

davetha1
07-09-2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by xzioptix
If it is in excess, I think that protein can be stored as fat just as any other type of excess calorie... (in other words, too much of anything is exactly what it is, too much)

To the best of my knowledge that doesnt happen, often when you see people getting ready for competitions they deplete their carbs and increase the amount of protein they eat to compensate for the lack of carbs and use the high amounts of protein as an alternate source of energy. I've seen people eating close to 500g of protein a day with 4-5% bf preparing for competition.

xzioptix
07-09-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by davetha1

To the best of my knowledge that doesnt happen, often when you see people getting ready for competitions they deplete their carbs and increase the amount of protein they eat to compensate for the lack of carbs and use the high amounts of protein as an alternate source of energy. I've seen people eating close to 500g of protein a day with 4-5% bf preparing for competition.

sorry, I should have been more clear on what I meant by that.. I was speaking more on the lines of when you increase protein while consuming normal or more amounts of carbs and fat - not when you lower something else to make more room for the extra consumption of protein.

for some reason, when I increased my daily consumption of protein far and beyond 1 gm/lb .. the article made my pathetically desperate for muscle mind think that even tho I'm eating more calories than necessary for muscle gain, the extra protein would result in a directly more muscle. That kind of thinking was what I was suggesting Badass shouldn't follow.

so, actually, I agree with you.. =)

The Badass
07-10-2002, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I usually don't consume more than 180-200g of protein a day anyway(I weigh about 190lb, 5'10"). My main concern was about the days I DON'T workout and I'm still taking in those protein grams. On days I workout, I take in as much protein as I can because of how hellatiously I train myself.

Manveet
07-10-2002, 06:04 PM
It's not possible to get fat from protein shakes, is it? I drink them with fat free milk, and I drink 2-3 a day to make sure I get my needed protein.

Yes it is possible, only if those protein shakes are pushing you over your maintainence cals.

Tiare
07-10-2002, 07:13 PM
Manveet
:withstupi

Of course too much protein will make you gain fat.

The Badass
07-10-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Manveet

Yes it is possible, only if those protein shakes are pushing you over your maintainence cals.

That makes sense...

07-10-2002, 07:50 PM
Yes protein can make you fat.

Drink a tub of protein powder a day for a week and tell me if you start to blimp up.

Cackerot69
07-10-2002, 08:53 PM
Protein can't be stored as fat. It'd have to be converted to glucose first. So you'd have to be eating enough protein to support all bodily functions, eating enough carbs so that glycogen is saturated, eating enough fat to support bodily functions, and eating a surplus of cals for protein to be stored as fat. Basically protein is the hardest nutrient for the body to store as fat. Just eating "too much" protein won't make you fat though...depending on what you mean by that. But, yeah....if conditions are right (read: wrong) eating excessive protein will cause fat storage.

Tiare
07-12-2002, 01:00 PM
Cackerot69: well put. Nothing except fat can be stored as fat until it's converted to fat. Then it can be stored as fat.

What he said in a nutshell is that eating too much of anything won't make you fat unless you are eating too many calories.