PDA

View Full Version : hungry while bulking?

xzioptix
07-08-2002, 08:14 PM
Maybe this is a stupid question, but what the hell:

What does it mean when you're starving when you're supposed to be bulking?

Is it just that my stomach wants more food, or does my body require more food?

It's not like it's during the day and I'm tired and dragging and need energy.. I'm talking about the late night, almost before bed, ate great all day, calories just where you think they should be kind of thing....

Am I a glutton (which I can easily be, if I lost my willpower), or is my stomach telling me something...?

chrislehr
07-08-2002, 08:30 PM
Everyone is telling me I need to start bulking - and I have yet to really get a good definition, so I cant help ya.

xzioptix
07-08-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by chrislehr
Everyone is telling me I need to start bulking - and I have yet to really get a good definition, so I cant help ya.

Funny you say that, cuz that is my problem as well... check my thread here.... (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16317)

I'm just a step ahead of you in the decision making process.. I gave up on getting the definition I wanted (I'm guessing I just need to be bigger before I'm able to get my BF low enough)

gettinjackT
07-08-2002, 08:57 PM
As far as your qustion goes, if you are hungry, then EAT MORE.............you are bulking right? Appetite is good while bulking......eat, eat, and then eat again..............

Manveet
07-08-2002, 09:47 PM
yes, eat, and keep on eating.

xzioptix
07-09-2002, 04:56 AM
yeah.. that's what I figured. I'm just being extra cautious because last year, I "bulked" my gut to the point that I looked like someone who spends more time in front of a TV instead of in a gym.

Manveet
07-09-2002, 09:44 AM
Just eat cleaner, you will still gain some fat, but I mean you always cut that down after you put on some good mass.

xzioptix
07-09-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Manveet
Just eat cleaner, you will still gain some fat, but I mean you always cut that down after you put on some good mass.

<eating right now...>

;)

Manveet
07-09-2002, 11:22 AM
good

MRJ
07-09-2002, 01:48 PM
In theory, when bulking your guideline is to consume more than is required by your body. Be reminded as you gain muscle and/or consume more food your metab. will speed-up, thus requiring additional caloric intake to meet energy requirements.

If your body is sending you a hunger signal, "you are not eating enough".

If you body is sending you another opposite signal, increased waistline, it's sending you another message, "you're eating to much".

faus
07-09-2002, 04:22 PM
I guess it depends on "what" is telling you that you're hungry. Sometimes you may feel hungry because your stomach feels empty; other times, you may feel hungry even though your stomach may still "feel full." A lot of times when bulking, you may eat lots of high-glycemic carbs to keep your calories up. In that case, your insulin will spike, but will drop fairly quickly, making you feel hungry again. That's why when you're trying to reduce caloric intake, you try to choose low-glycemic carbs that won't spike your insulin so dramatically, and also why you try to eat fibrous foods that will make your stomach "feel fuller" for a longer period of time.
In any case, if you feel hungry and your bulking, why not just eat? When trying to gain weight, it's probably not a bad idea to take in a meal or protein shake an hour or so before you go to bed.

xzioptix
07-09-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by MRJ
In theory, when bulking your guideline is to consume more than is required by your body. Be reminded as you gain muscle and/or consume more food your metab. will speed-up, thus requiring additional caloric intake to meet energy requirements.

If your body is sending you a hunger signal, "you are not eating enough".

If you body is sending you another opposite signal, increased waistline, it's sending you another message, "you're eating to much".

what if it's sending both? :)

nah, hopefully I don't get there..

thanks for the help..

MRJ
07-09-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by xzioptix

what if it's sending both? :)

nah, hopefully I don't get there..

thanks for the help..

Then you'll be, shall we say, "less than lean".

It's all about discipline, bro.

I agree with you, though, regarding hunger . . . Seems like the more I eat, the more I need to eat.

If you manage your diet, stray from sugars, eat complex carbs., good fats, etc. and exercise you'll be fine.

Don't worry so much, it's not that complicated.

xzioptix
07-09-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by MRJ

Don't worry so much, it's not that complicated.

Yeah.. definitely less worrying and more lifting... ;)

Goin_Big
07-09-2002, 06:26 PM
sorry dude, when you say you had a gut like someone who just watched tv all day I can't believe you. My reasoning is that you say you're trying for cuts now......and you're cut as ****.

xzioptix
07-09-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Goin_Big
sorry dude, when you say you had a gut like someone who just watched tv all day I can't believe you. My reasoning is that you say you're trying for cuts now......and you're cut as ****.

I was referring to last year, before my +-9 month (yes, 9 friggin months) of a pathetic attempt at cutting...

After that many months of dieting, I'm suprised I held on to any muscle mass at all, especially when you figure in my month of not eating any solids, working 40+ hours on a roof and going to school at nights.

Personally, starting this week, I'm considering myself reborn when it comes to training.

Goin_Big
07-09-2002, 06:35 PM
oh my bad man, I see what you mean, you cut wrong eh.

Well good luck with the bulking.

xzioptix
07-09-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Goin_Big
oh my bad man, I see what you mean, you cut wrong eh.

Well good luck with the bulking.

Yeah, I sure did. :) Nothing like when your lifting partner, his wife, your girlfriend and virtually everyone on WBB that saw my pics saying "Start bulking dude.."

:rolleyes: