PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Up

xx5Strider
07-10-2002, 06:17 PM
Hi, Im new to the forums. I used to be really fat a yar ago, and then I changed my diet and my lifestyle. So now I lift 6 of 7 days a week, I packed on a lot of muscle, and I dropped 60 lbs. Here's the thing, I can't tell if some of this fat I have left is just actually loose skin from being overweight. I tried cutting up, but as I do my normal cardio I find that I am extremely hungry. Thus I end up ruining my ratio and overeating my calories and have been stuck at my current weight for a while now. Any suggestions for a decent cut up diet for a 22 year old male who is 5"7', 175. I'm not fat anymore either, I dropped lower to like 170, then started adding muscle, Im up to 175, and my biceps are up to 16 inches now. So I'm pretty sure Im not gaining fat. I take in about 175g protein per day. Approx no more than 20g fat, and end up at like 100g carbs. Help a guy out huh?

Warblade
07-10-2002, 07:30 PM
Well, are you taking an ECA stack? That will help to curb your appetite. If you can't take that for whatever reason, suck it up, and drink some water. That will fill you up without overeating.

Also, you lift 6 days a week? Are you actually lifting weights, or are some of those days purely cardio? It sounds like overtraining to me. Even if your muscles feel like they're ready to go, you need to give your central nervous system a break as well. 3-4 days a week is plenty. If you feel the need to go to the gym every day, just do some cardio on non-weightlifting days.

If you're stuck at the weight you're at, try looking at what you're eating. If you're not expending more calories than you eat then you're not going to lose any more fat. Of course, you might be at the point where you're gaining muscle and losing fat, thus keeping the same weight. Don't use the scale as your judge.. use the mirror.

Search the boards for some example diets. Congrats on your success though.

16inch arms flexed, or unflexed? Just curious :)

xx5Strider
07-11-2002, 03:40 AM
Well, I do at least 30 minutes of cardio per session. Usually treadmill jogging, 6mph, sometimes the elliptical. One of my friends said that the cardio every day could be kicking up my apetite as well. As for the water, thats all I drink, I get about a gallon and a half per day, Im sure I burn a solid 5 calories a day going back and forth to the bathroom. I was thinking about trying a non-ephedra thermo by the way, cuz heart problems have been shown in one side of my family...although most attributed to overweight lifestyle. What do you think of that?

Thanks!

(flexed by the way;) )

Warblade
07-11-2002, 10:14 AM
When doing your cardio, make sure your heart rate is in the target zone. I think its like 60 to 80 percent of your max heart rate. Your max heart rate is 220 minus your age. Anything over that and you're burning up glycogen instead of fat. And possibly burning up muscle as well.

I don't know how non-ephedra thermos work. I can't imagine them working all that well. I'd either do a thermo with ephedra or not at all. You don't really need to take them to lose fat. It just helps a little.

I also just realized something. I was looking at your caloric intake, and its WAY too low. You're getting something like 1280 calories per day. At 175lbs you should be eating between 1750 to 2100 calories per day (bodyweight x 10 or 12). Maybe more depending on how active you are during the day (like what kinda work you do, play sports, etc). When I was going through a cut cycle a few months ago I was partitioning out my macro nutrients at 50/30/20 (protein/carbs/fats). Maybe you can tro 40/40/20, or 33/33/33. All these types of diets seem to work for everyone. The bottom line is that negative calories will make you lose weight.

Don't forget to engage in weekly refeeds. After a certain point, your body won't want to lose anymore weight. That could be where you're at now. Basically eat about 500 calories over maintenance (maintenance would be bodyweight x 15). Have your food consist mostly carbs, read up on the diet board at EliteFitness (http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum/index.php) for more information on refeeds. I found some pretty good stuff there. I don't remember reading so much about refeeds on this site.