PDA

View Full Version : Chest rut

juggiwitz
07-11-2002, 12:05 PM
Hey guys, I need some help. I've been working out pretty solid now for about 3 months. I'm pretty happy with the success I've had in my shoulders and arms, but I seem stuck when it comes to my chest. I just can't seem to grow. I'm guess I'm not quite sure just how hard to work it. I do chest wth triceps, here's my workout:
-flat barbell bench press: 3 x 6-8 (alternative: dumbbells)
-flyes: 3 x 6-8 (dumbbells or cable crossover)
-weighted pushups: 2 x failure (about 10-15)
-weighted dips: 3 x 6-8
-cable triceps pressdown: 3 x 6-8
-french press: 3 x 6-8

I try to do all this with heavy weight. Can I add more to my chest routine and if so what and how much? Oh yeah, my stats are: age 18, 154 lbs, 5' 8". I also need some serious work on my diet. I don't think I'm eating enough and I tend to eat the wrong types of food.

Relentless
07-11-2002, 12:11 PM
You answered your own question with your last paragraph, I think.

Keep lifting heavy. Eat better.

There's nothing wrong with your workout, IMHO, though I'm not a fan of weighted pushups; I am a big fan of incline DB press though. ;)

You MAY want to drop down to 2 working sets instead of 3 at 6-8 reps . . . you might also mix it up a little, try for a 1RM or a set of 3 or 4 here and there to shock the muscles and get things moving...

Goin_Big
07-11-2002, 12:12 PM
Is your chest getting stronger?

juggiwitz
07-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Callahan, thanks for the advice. I never liked the weighted pushups either, lol. I do need to make some changes to my workout for sure. A dumb question, what's 1RM. A max, basically?

Goin' Big, I'm not really sure. It was for awhile, but I've been outta the gym off and on due to vacation and bronchitis. I guess I'll know more when I get back on track.

Relentless
07-11-2002, 12:21 PM
1RM = One Rep Max, the most you can lift for a single rep

This is a good measure of strength. ;) It's also fun to push for.

xx5Strider
07-11-2002, 12:49 PM
The pushups can never hurt in my opinion, but how come you aren't doing any decline bench or incline bench? I know that when I added those to my chest routine I gained a lot of overall strength and size.