PDA

View Full Version : How do you count calories??

OiBoy
07-11-2002, 02:24 PM
Like say you eat one egg, and vut up some chicken... how do you know how many calories that is??

Like I know how to count calories w/ milk because it says how many per cup... but what about with stuff that doesnt have that like eggs and meats??

Blood&Iron
07-11-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by OiBoy
Like say you eat one egg, and vut up some chicken... how do you know how many calories that is??

Like I know how to count calories w/ milk because it says how many per cup... but what about with stuff that doesnt have that like eggs and meats??
It usually says on the package, at least if you're in the US--even eggs. Anyways, just buy a book like 'Corinne Netzer's Complete Book of Food Counts' and weigh your food for the things that don't have a label.

Relentless
07-11-2002, 02:30 PM
There are tons of calorie charts and counters out there, like this:
http://www.ntwrks.com/~mikev/

If you want to get really accurate about portions for things like meat, etc, you need to get a kitchen scale (available at most kitchen stores).

Then, simply take whatever the standard measure is on the chart/table and apply it to the portion you're eating.

For instance: According to my chart,
BEEF STEAK,SIRLOIN,BROIL,LEAN 2.5 OZ has 150 cals
If I go to The Keg and eat a 10oz sirloin, I know I'm getting about 600 cals.

Is that clearer now?

Nights
07-12-2002, 11:25 AM
I use a little program called crosstrainer (http://www.innovativelogic.com/crosstrainer) to count. Just enter in the foods, it does all the math and tells you the break down of each item/meal/day.

Tiare
07-12-2002, 11:44 AM
I track on www.fitday.com it's pretty comprehensive and pretty accurate and you can create custom foods from the labels if you want. I'm pretty good at estimating weights, but I'll use a scale if I have to.

WannaBeStrong
07-12-2002, 12:56 PM
I bought a cheap food scale that measured oz and grams from eBay. Joined www.fitday.com and I will say those were the biggest 2 changes I made with my diet.

I actually memorized how many calories (roughly) are in 8 oz of cottage cheese and how much fat is in 1oz of almonds or how much protein is in 4.5 oz of chicken :) You start being able to judge food when you're eating out, which is great for any dieter!