PDA

View Full Version : protein shake before/during workout?

Andra2000
11-25-2012, 11:27 PM
so i just read an article on this site which said that you should be taking protein shakes before during and after your workout and that you will benefit the most by doing this. usually i just have a protein shake after i workout, but i do feel like i could be getting more calories and protein into my diet so i was wondering if it would be smart to take a protein shake to the gym and drink it as i workout and then have another shake after im done? or if i should just have a pre workout shake? i forgot to mention that i do take Neurocore as a preworkout. could someone please tell me what would be the best method to go about this, thanks!http://btvsoloweb.com/home/index.jpg

tom183
11-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Link to said article?

Allen Cress
11-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Pre, intra, and post workout shakes have their place. During the workout you need a Hydrolyzed protein powder (about 20g) and a carb (30-50g) Like vitargo to help shuttle aminos into the muscle. These specific types are needed so there is no digestive stress during the workout.

For pre workout a solid food meal 45-60 min prior is fine and post workout either a shake or solid food works.

ironwill727
11-26-2012, 11:27 AM
I think it is a marketing strategy to sell more protein powder. I think if you have a good meal prior and enough protein after you are fine.

Jonathan E
11-26-2012, 01:50 PM
During the workout you need a Hydrolyzed protein powder (about 20g) and a carb (30-50g)

Allen, in your opinion how much importance do you put on this? I've seen the obvious pre/post routine time and time again but never really heard someone argue the benefits of a "during" supplementation.

Allen Cress
11-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Allen, in your opinion how much importance do you put on this? I've seen the obvious pre/post routine time and time again but never really heard someone argue the benefits of a "during" supplementation.

Is absolutely needed, no. IMO if you can afford to do it then I would recommend it. WHen you workout you are depleting your glycogen stores as well as breaking down muscle so instead of waiting until you are finished why not start the rebuilding process during the workout by shuttling amino acids into the muscle? This is also enhanced due to the hypermia(increased blood volume in the muscle) effects of weight training. The main benefit is it enhances recovery.

Now does this mean if you don't do it you won't get good results, not at all. I'm not here to market anything, but I do believe it does aid in building muscle more efficiently and improving recovery abilities.

dynamo
11-27-2012, 11:32 AM
if memory serves me correct there is no anabolic activity during working out.

Allen Cress
11-27-2012, 03:13 PM
if memory serves me correct there is no anabolic activity during working out.

No, but the goal with the intra drink is to get ahead of the curve so to speak by delivering nutrients while you are breaking down the muscle tissue and start recovery instantly.

Jonathan E
11-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Is absolutely needed, no. IMO if you can afford to do it then I would recommend it. WHen you workout you are depleting your glycogen stores as well as breaking down muscle so instead of waiting until you are finished why not start the rebuilding process during the workout by shuttling amino acids into the muscle? This is also enhanced due to the hypermia(increased blood volume in the muscle) effects of weight training. The main benefit is it enhances recovery.

Now does this mean if you don't do it you won't get good results, not at all. I'm not here to market anything, but I do believe it does aid in building muscle more efficiently and improving recovery abilities.

Hey, fair argument. Was just curious if I was missing anything big. Thanks.

dynamo
12-07-2012, 12:59 PM
No, but the goal with the intra drink is to get ahead of the curve so to speak by delivering nutrients while you are breaking down the muscle tissue and start recovery instantly.

gotcha, isn't eating enough protein through out the day good enough? Wouldn't there be an upper limit to the amino acids in the blood stream given X grams of protein ingested, that once reached would only need to be topped off by a periodic meal and thus negate an intra-workout feeding of any type? If during lifting all anabolic processes stop but glycogen is depleted then simple carbs would the only benefit, and perhaps more psychological than physical? Of course I am only talking in the specific case of lifting weights for an hour or so.

I'm not for or against it either way, some days I drink a protein shake while I lift, it helps me keep my intensity up for whatever reason, but I don't always have a shake or drink or whatever when I lift.