PDA

View Full Version : Protein: What you buy and why.

Juan
07-12-2002, 01:28 PM
Do you supplement with cassein, or whey? Egg or soy? What brand? Why?

I use Myogenix for 2 reasons:
1. Whey protein: This type of protein hits your body fast (although it doesn't stay in your system long), so it is ideal for a post workout shake. I try to eat different, slower hitting proteins the rest of the day.

2. I don't want to have to purchase seperate Amino Acid pills, and this brand has a great Amino Acid profile.

I'm thinking about switching to a cheaper whey protein from Supplements Direct, but I only will if it saves me enough money to purchase Amino Acid pills, or if the protein itself has lots of Amino Acids.

jc_az
07-12-2002, 02:33 PM
Simply Whey -

It's cost effective, tastes good and mixes well.

Saint Patrick
07-12-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by jc_az
Simply Whey -

It's cost effective, tastes good and mixes well.

Same here.

Except in the morning I mix a 24g scoop of soy protein in my morning oatmeal.

Vido
07-12-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by stpatrick44

Same here.

Except in the morning I mix a 24g scoop of soy protein in my morning oatmeal.

First of all that must taste like #$%@. Second, why do you use soy for that meal anyways? One last thing, Simply Whey has WAY too much aspartame in it.

Tryska
07-12-2002, 05:09 PM
about the only thing i use now for protein supplementation is Myoplex or LeanBody low carbs. I prefer the myoplex, and I prefer a blend to straight whey....cuz straight whey breaks me out.

GuitarPlayer
07-12-2002, 08:10 PM
just soy isolate morning day and night

soy has been badmouthed enough but guess what, in 2 months i have gone from 20% bf to 15%, with soy, and my bench went up 5 lbs, and i have experienced no gyno, actually i lost my man boobs

and chocolate soy (with asulfame) with half a banana is absolutely DELICIOUS, so delicious i feel like i'm cheating

GuitarPlayer
07-12-2002, 08:12 PM
on a side note tryksa your information says 'digambara'

does that refer to 'clad by the directions...'

Tryska
07-12-2002, 09:35 PM
or sky-clad..whichever term you prefer. ;)

Behemoth
07-12-2002, 10:05 PM
GuitarPlayer, I find it hard to belive that a change in type of protein can make those kind of changes (I'm not saying it can't, I'm saying to the extent of my knowledge I don't understand how). Is that the only change in your lifestyle you made, and you got that fatloss with strength gains?

GuitarPlayer
07-13-2002, 06:42 AM
oh no no! of course i made changes

i'm doing massive cardio and dieting and lifting too

i'm just saying, everyone told me to throw my soy protein away however it has given me great results

i'm just defending it because people ALWAYS say it sucks

GuitarPlayer
07-13-2002, 06:43 AM
tryksa
if i told you i was svetambar

would that mean anything to you

just curious

JohnnyAutoParts
07-13-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
about the only thing i use now for protein supplementation is Myoplex or LeanBody low carbs. I prefer the myoplex, and I prefer a blend to straight whey....cuz straight whey breaks me out.

I'm just curious--why do so many people seem to use Myoplex? It costs an arm and a leg. The best price I have ever seen on the meal replacements is $57.99 for 30 if I'm not mistaken. Is it that much better than other protein supplements?!?!?

Tiare
07-13-2002, 10:11 AM
Soy is good. It shouldn't be your only source of protein, but it's good. It's not the perfect food, but it's good. I don't use the soy powder, but whole toasted soya beans...mmmmmmmm.

I supplement with mostly whey protein, usually 1 a day myself just because it's so easy to get, cheap and it helps me right after a hard lifting workout. Fast acting, and complete.

Other than that, I eat 6 or more egg whites a day (this is where egg protein comes from) and I eat a cup of cottage cheese at night and sometimes I eat some during the day (this is effectively cassiene) and I drink milk sometimes (which is where whey comes from) so I 'supplement' throughout the day with the base components and real food. Oh, then there's the tuna, the chicken, the salmon, the toasted soya nuts...etc.

Tryska
07-13-2002, 08:02 PM
johnny.....i dunno. i get it from work, and i get it for cheaper at my particular suppstore as well. It's the one i prefer.

isopure tates like crap and i all whey, labrada is ok, but is kinda grainy...that's why i like the myoplex best. I guess mouth-feel. gotta love carrageenan.

and guitar-player, while being nothing close to Jain, yes that does mean something to me. ;) i chose that particular title due to my current ummm..mental/spritual state.

Mystic Eric
07-13-2002, 08:16 PM
Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey chocolate flavor. :thumbup:

ryuage
07-13-2002, 08:44 PM
nlarge2 vanilla.. cuz it's the only flavor ive tasted :scratch:

freztek
07-13-2002, 09:15 PM
Optimum 100% Whey - Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor

I buy this because the price and taste is right!:thumbup: