PDA

View Full Version : week and a half out pulled hamstring - advice needed

jmccown
11-28-2012, 03:18 PM
So 3 weeks ago I had a push pull meet where I missed my 3rd attempt on deadlift because of a charlie horse/cramp/pull in the hamstring. I got sore in the hammy and recovered pretty good from it. I am already registered to do another meet next weekend on Dec. 8th for another push pull. Last night I felt like a million bucks and done some heavy deads because I planned not to pull next week and just take it off from lifting. My pulls were more explosive than they have ever felt and I felt very strong. Done usual warmups then started doing singles - 450, 540, 630 - smoked them all and felt great. No signs or symptoms of hammy issues until I loaded 700 on the bar, got the bar up to my knees and then felt a pop in my hamstring, never had it happen before. Almost instantly it became sore like it was after the meet a few weeks prior. I was able to walk and bend and straighten the leg with no problem. I finished some upper back accessory work then iced the leg for about 30 minutes and went to bed. Today it seems to be easing up a little but is still tender. I want to get this meet in next weekend and then take a break from heavy training for a while. Since I have never pulled a hamstring before the last couple of weeks I have been stretching, icing and occasional heat to heal up. Is there anything else I can do in the next week and a half to heal up as good as possible. I know I'm going to have to dial it back on the weight some to avoid further injury. Advice is much appreciated guys and gals.

joey54
11-28-2012, 04:32 PM
The best answer to this is the one you don't want to hear.

Butcher
11-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Mike Tuscherrer had pulled his hamstring a few weeks out from a meet, rehabbed it and was still able to pull around 800 or more. I would email him through his website reactivetrainingsystems.com or look him up on facebook (I probably spelled his last name wrong).

Other than that my advice reflects Joey54's.

theBarzeen
11-28-2012, 05:34 PM
If a buddy asked me this question I'd tell him to chill and find a different meet, it's not worth hurting yourself unless this meet coming up is something HUGE and it's worth the gamble.

If it were me, I'd rehab like a son-of-a-gun, hydrate, fish oil, foam roll, graston, and hope that maybe it was just some scar tissue breaking up and I'm really totally fine.

Jonathan E
11-28-2012, 05:53 PM
I would be careful. The past year Ive had issues with both my hamstrings after running a 40-yard dash at a football combine in summer of '11. The thing is this type of injury varies a lot with each person..so it takes some special attention and input. I'd follow what everyone says above, but I would also consider looking at some PT actions if you can for long term help. Once you hurt these puppies, they can be a real strain (pun not intended) on you. Good luck. Would like to hear how your recovery goes.

ScottYard
11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
I would just rest until the meet. No pulls but so alo of full range light band curls and pull throughts for blood flow a few times per week. Focus on soft tissue and stretching work daily until then as well. Contrast with heat and ice daily and NSAIDS. Open super light and go from there.

Good luck man.

jmccown
11-30-2012, 06:40 AM
Been rehabbing the heck out of it and have come a long way in a few days thanks for the advice guys. Joey54 I know inside that I should set this out but my "he-man" ego tells me to toughen up and do it anyways. I'm going to play it smart though and take all next week off and see what it feels like towards the end of the week, I may end up doing bench only if I don't have a good feeling come meet day.

ScottYard
11-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Good luck man.