PDA

View Full Version : refeeds



Nights
07-13-2002, 10:30 AM
Been trying to find more information on this concept. So, how many people here actually do it? Is it necessary/beneficial? Are there any negatives that go along with it? How often do you do it? Also, is the only time you'd do is when your following a low carb diet? And last of all, how many more calories do you consume that day?

Tiare
07-13-2002, 10:55 AM
I re-feed 1 or 2 times a week and usually do a really bad job of it. I try to up my calories to maintenance or 500 above maintenance on those days. No, it's not just a low carb thing.

I find it very beneficial. My body has a resurgence of strength that lasts for several days and I've not noticed that it slowed down fat loss at all. In fact, it may have accelerated my fat loss at times and had definitely helped me to stop lean body mass loss. Or so it seems to me.

Celestial
07-13-2002, 10:55 AM
I do it one day a week, usually a saturday or a sunday. In all honesty I jsut eat whatever the hell I want to. I seriously mean WHATEVER. I been loosing body fat recently and gaining muscle so i suppose its working lol

Nights
07-13-2002, 11:27 AM
Any ideas of how it works (the science behind it)? I definetely like the idea of being able to eat something different one day a week (100g of carbs a day doesn't allow much variety in the diet).. anyone got anything negative to say about the concept?

Celestial
07-13-2002, 11:35 AM
Haha I go extreme. TOday is my cheat day, I am having stuffed crust pizza and a large blizzard and thats just the beginning:)

Supposedly it throws your body off and it doesnt let you fall into the "starvation mode" where your body would start holding onto your fat in thinking that it was being starved....by re feeding it once a week, it throws your body off and keeps in in a general fat burning cycle as long as you maintain a clean diet /workout schdule for the rest of the week.

Nights
07-13-2002, 12:55 PM
Good. Then I've got an excuse to go mad in a few days.

Tiare
07-13-2002, 01:00 PM
uht oh, if stuffed crust pizza and a large blizzard is the re-feed, i guess I re-feed 5 days a week and super re-feed 2 days...JK

Blood&Iron
07-13-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Celestial
Haha I go extreme. TOday is my cheat day, I am having stuffed crust pizza and a large blizzard and thats just the beginning:)

Supposedly it throws your body off and it doesnt let you fall into the "starvation mode" where your body would start holding onto your fat in thinking that it was being starved....by re feeding it once a week, it throws your body off and keeps in in a general fat burning cycle as long as you maintain a clean diet /workout schdule for the rest of the week.
Refeeds and cheat days are two completely different things. A refeed should not be an excuse for gluttony, but as structured as the rest of one's diet.

Blood&Iron
07-13-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Tiare
uht oh, if stuffed crust pizza and a large blizzard is the re-feed, i guess I re-feed 5 days a week and super re-feed 2 days...JK
This is NOT a refeed. It is a cheat day.

Goin_Big
07-13-2002, 11:15 PM
I usually refeed 5-7 days a week.

Nights
07-14-2002, 12:37 AM
B&I -- How does a refeed differ from a cheat day?

If it is structured, then what sorta ratio would you give, and how many calories above normal consumption would it have (above what cutting diet or above AMR)? What sorta layout would it have through the day (fat/protein 1st meal, carb loaded 2nd..etc)?

Blood&Iron
07-14-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Nights
B&I -- How does a refeed differ from a cheat day?

If it is structured, then what sorta ratio would you give, and how many calories above normal consumption would it have (above what cutting diet or above AMR)? What sorta layout would it have through the day (fat/protein 1st meal, carb loaded 2nd..etc)?
Quite high in carbs, moderate protein(~1g/lb bodyweight), and low fat(I try to keep it under 10% of total calories) Higher glycemic carbs will tend to be better except prior to bed when you want something that will digest slower(Fiber would be good here too.)

Here's a link(I do things a little differently than here, but this is a very good jumping off point)
http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm