PDA

View Full Version : This no Carbs & Fat in the Same Meal Theory

JohnnyAutoParts
07-13-2002, 10:07 AM
When and Why? I've seen this proposed in cutting which is understandable...but what about bulking?

Tiare
07-13-2002, 10:25 AM
Why would you avoid carbs and fat in the same meal? If anything, you want to make sure you are always eating fats with your carbs to slow the insulin spike from the carbs.

JohnnyAutoParts
07-13-2002, 01:14 PM
Biologically speaking, I can't explain why. I've just seen a lot of respectable names put it in their posts from time to time. I'm asking for an explanation.

07-13-2002, 01:39 PM
in a quick nutshell, carbs spike insulin. insulin shuttles all nutrients into storage. Eating fat with your carbs then will more easily shuttle fat into body fat storage. Is that understandable?

And yes the same rule applys for bulking if you want optimal results. However as long as your eating cleanly you won't notice much of a difference anyways.

Tiare
07-13-2002, 02:06 PM
Good call Avatar. Eat clean and it won't make a difference. Personally I consider clean eating as a mix of high quality c/p/f. As my first post indicates, consuming fats with your carbs reduces the insulin spike and slows digestion.

07-13-2002, 02:12 PM
the only time I'd definately prohibit extra fat with carbs is in the post-workout meal. no exceptions.

Tiare
07-13-2002, 02:58 PM
Av, is that like with your protein shake or the actual meal? I usually have a fairly rounded meal about 2 hours after my workout but immediately after I just throw down a pro shake. Just curious. And is that you wouldn't eat carbs or you wouldn't eat fat after the workout?

07-13-2002, 04:06 PM
In the meal directly after weight training you want carbs/protein and as little of fat as possible.

The meal a few hours later isn't as important as insulin levels will have levelled off some.

big calvin
07-13-2002, 05:10 PM
the reason i thought why was in a old nutrition book in class it said carbs was a engery source. and then said fat was also in engery source. i put 2 and 2 togeather and said well if both are engery sources why would u want both if one is gonna not be used(fat because glucose is the preffered energy source). but then i dont agrea when its carbs mixed with efa's. because i just think efa get used a diff. way besides energy.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-14-2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Avatar
in a quick nutshell, carbs spike insulin. insulin shuttles all nutrients into storage. Eating fat with your carbs then will more easily shuttle fat into body fat storage. Is that understandable?

Funny you should say that.

Only certain carbs "spike" insulin. Other kinds just cause an insulin response - but then again, everytime you eat you cause an insulin response, so does it really make that much difference?

Also, if you're bulking and eating more cals then you're burning off then you're gonna gain weight (and potential store fat) so really the difference won't be that significant. It's up to the person really, if they feel that it makes that much difference. personally i don't particularly care. I highly doubt it makes that much difference.

Also:

the only time I'd definately prohibit extra fat with carbs is in the post-workout meal. no exceptions

CLA is recommend that you take it with carbs or else most of it will probably be metabolism and used for energy like any other fat. you actually want CLA in the fat cells so it can get to work on the PPAR's where it inhibits the fat storing enzyme lippoprotein lipase (or something like that). So really, spiking CLA with post workout sugars may actually be a better idea.

Just food for thought.

Mmmm...food...

07-14-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
CLA is recommend that you take it with carbs or else most of it will probably be metabolism and used for energy like any other fat. you actually want CLA in the fat cells so it can get to work on the PPAR's where it inhibits the fat storing enzyme lippoprotein lipase (or something like that). So really, spiking CLA with post workout sugars may actually be a better idea.

well I was referring to food, not supplements but good point.

Reinier
07-14-2002, 12:53 PM
"in a quick nutshell, carbs spike insulin. insulin shuttles all nutrients into storage. Eating fat with your carbs then will more easily shuttle fat into body fat storage. Is that understandable?
"
all foods spike insulin and then why wouldn`t P or carbs be stored as fat

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-14-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Reinier
all foods spike insulin and then why wouldn`t P or carbs be stored as fat

Careful what words you use - all foods don't "spike" insulin.

body
07-14-2002, 02:31 PM
why are people obessed with spiking inuslin.

if my insulin levels lower, i want to increase them, not spike them. spikes have a lull.

people get tired mid day after eating lots, as a spike happens, but the spike has a down side.

07-14-2002, 04:23 PM
to tell you the truth when I used the word spiked, I meant raising insulin in general. Don't know why I said spiked. Of course insulin levels depend on the carb going down the shoot.