PDA

View Full Version : Is Cardio Necessary.. ? Opinions?

MonStar
07-14-2002, 10:12 AM
I am going back to the basics with all forms of bodybuilding. Training and diet especially though a push/pull/legs split and a clean bodybuilding diet.

What do you guys think about cardio? I am trying to lose some fat still but I cant decide if I need cardio or not. I am thinking maybe just on rest days to burn some extra calories?

07-14-2002, 11:19 AM
depends on your body type. If you like to hold fat, then a lil cardio may do the love handles good.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-14-2002, 11:39 AM
Save cardio as a last resort kinda thing. I'm sure i've told you this before.

Get your diet in order first, then pull out the cardio card when you need it.

Unless, of course, you actually want to get better at cardio.

David
07-14-2002, 11:45 AM
i disagree, i think you should do cardio, why wouldnt you work out your heart???

BCC
07-14-2002, 11:52 AM
I say no to cardio. But I guess it depends on what you want to do.

MonStar
07-14-2002, 11:58 AM
I think I am just going to do a little cardio on my rest days.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-14-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by TripleP
i disagree, i think you should do cardio, why wouldnt you work out your heart???

Heavy squats make my heart ask me to stop.

Behemoth
07-14-2002, 01:40 PM
But heavy squats don't give your heart any sort of endurance.
I don't think cardio is NECESSARY, like someone said above, get everything else in order and if you need an extra little bump, do some.
I like doing it purely because I can eat more.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-14-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by TryingToBeBig
But heavy squats don't give your heart any sort of endurance.

lol, your heart has been beating since you were born (and even before then).

It's never stopped yet.

How's that for endurance? :)

Manveet
07-14-2002, 02:55 PM
I've been considering doin some cardio but I am still a bit hesitant, I've put on a good 20lbs since I first came to wbb this past Feb. I'll probably start doin a bit of cardio after I gain another 10lbs, just to keep me from becoming a complete fat slob.

David
07-14-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Manveet
I've been considering doin some cardio but I am still a bit hesitant, I've put on a good 20lbs since I first came to wbb this past Feb. I'll probably start doin a bit of cardio after I gain another 10lbs, just to keep me from becoming a complete fat slob.

Remember, you can only gain (at most) 1 or 2lbs of muscle a week, anymore than that and you will become Fat Bastard.

Also, C. Daddy mentioned squats for working out your heart, you can go a step further than that and go ride a rollercoaster, which will get your heart beating 160 times a minute.

Hows that for a workout? :eek:

sysopt
07-14-2002, 10:58 PM
Diet and lifting are the most critical. Cardio is not necessary to get ripped but can help so long as training and diet is right. Cardio on non-lifting days seems like a good idea as it can serve to help recovery. Cardio at high intensity improves the hearts ability to pump blood and burns calories at a higher rate. Cardio at lower intensity for longer periods of time work type 1 fibers (endurance). With that in mind, I'd like to say I hate cardio and dont do it, ha. :p

Kayak_boy
07-14-2002, 11:37 PM
I think you should do some cardio. I'm on a bulk at the moment and have stopped cardio for about 2 months and my resting heart rate has risen nearly 20 bpm. And heart rate is a good guide to fitness. I"m a bit of a freak with a resting heart rate of 34, but it is usually in the low 40's, checked yesterday and I was at 59 to 60. So I'm starting back doing cardio this week, want to feel fit again.

Behemoth
07-15-2002, 11:49 AM
Let me refraze what I last said. Squats don't give your heart any endurance under stress. Cardio does, I'm not all for it, I just don't see how so many people can deny that's it's good for your heart and shouldn't be completely neglected.

Goin_Big
07-15-2002, 12:34 PM
I like to jog at least once a week, but that's just cuz I get bored sometimes, lol.

alwayz
07-15-2002, 03:01 PM
does cardio(jogging/running) ever lead to muscle wasteing?

David
07-15-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by alwayz
does cardio(jogging/running) ever lead to muscle wasteing?

yes, Sir, it sure does - especially when you do it for over an hour.
Remember, you can overtrain by doing cardio just like you can working out.

Behemoth
07-15-2002, 03:24 PM
Does anyone know what sort of ratio of fat to muscle to food in your system the average person burns while doing cardio?

body
07-15-2002, 03:30 PM
cardio helps.
but you can do well with out it.

David
07-15-2002, 06:33 PM
Does anyone know what sort of ratio of fat to muscle to food in your system the average person burns while doing cardio?

I don't know but i also have a question:

How many atoms of 235U must undergo fission to operate a 1.0 X 10(to the 3rd) MW power plant for one day if the conversion efficiency is 30.0 percent? Assume 208 MeV released per fission event.

IceRgrrl
07-15-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Kayak_boy
I think you should do some cardio. I'm on a bulk at the moment and have stopped cardio for about 2 months and my resting heart rate has risen nearly 20 bpm. And heart rate is a good guide to fitness. I"m a bit of a freak with a resting heart rate of 34, but it is usually in the low 40's, checked yesterday and I was at 59 to 60. So I'm starting back doing cardio this week, want to feel fit again.

If your heart rate spikes more than 10-15%, it could be a sign of overtraining...your body working hard to repair itself. Or you could be coming down with something and your immune system is on high gear.

My trainer requires me to check my resting heart rate every morning as one monitor of overtraining...it has been most educational.

And oh, I liek cardio :D

Kayak_boy
07-15-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl

If your heart rate spikes more than 10-15%, it could be a sign of overtraining...your body working hard to repair itself. Or you could be coming down with something and your immune system is on high gear.

My trainer requires me to check my resting heart rate every morning as one monitor of overtraining...it has been most educational.

And oh, I liek cardio :D

You are very correct in saying that your heart rate being elevated can be a sign of overtraining, lack of recovery from a previous session, illness etc, but if it rises over the period of a few months then it is a good sign of where you are at fitness wise. I know I'm not aerobically fit at the moment and my heart rate shows that.

PowerManDL
07-15-2002, 09:00 PM

How many atoms of 235U must undergo fission to operate a 1.0 X 10(to the 3rd) MW power plant for one day if the conversion efficiency is 30.0 percent? Assume 208 MeV released per fission event.

Fission doesn't even approach a 30% conversion efficiency.

Behemoth
07-15-2002, 10:26 PM

It was Just a question, afterall there ARE a lot of smart people on this board.

David
07-16-2002, 09:08 AM

It was Just a question, afterall there ARE a lot of smart people on this board.

like PowerMan ;)

MonStar
07-16-2002, 10:06 AM
Okay it seems to have gone both ways.. what should I do?

David
07-16-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by lronMan
Okay it seems to have gone both ways.. what should I do?

Whenever it boils down to a split decision like this the best way to sort it out is to post a poll, and let people decide for you if you can't make up your mind. it works every time.

=w=
07-17-2002, 07:05 AM

Whenever it boils down to a split decision like this the best way to sort it out is to post a poll, and let people decide for you if you can't make up your mind. it works every time.

I say whenever it boils down to a split decision it is proves it is

A: a very individual thing
B: a minor detail that isnt worth stressing over
C: both ways work

and the best way to sort it out is to just do whichever makes you happier and/or is easier for you.

MonStar
07-17-2002, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by =w=
A: a very individual thing
B: a minor detail that isnt worth stressing over
C: both ways work

Yeah I hope so because damn do I hate f*cking cardio so much!! Its so annoying sitting there on a stationery bike or walking on some motherf*cking treadmill like a godd*mn a*shole. I cant be dealing with that sh*t at all. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

GuitarPlayer
07-17-2002, 10:06 AM
oh jeez deal with it it's not that bad

jogging every morning gets addictive... sounds like a old womanish thing to do sure... won't be womanish when you get cut and defined and are fending off the throngs of beautiful women lining up at your doorstep

Tiare
07-17-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by lronMan

Yeah I hope so because damn do I hate f*cking cardio so much!! Its so annoying sitting there on a stationery bike or walking on some motherf*cking treadmill like a godd*mn a*shole. I cant be dealing with that sh*t at all. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Then you need to do it more than anyone. If you hate squats, the answer is not to avoid doing them but instead to re-double your efforts on them and make them something you love. Same with cardio.

hemants
07-17-2002, 12:57 PM
If you just want to be big and lean cardio is NOT necessary.

If you want to be big, lean, and healthy then cardio is a good idea. That being said, speed walking at 60% of max heart rate for 45-60 minutes is probably just as good as more intense cardio over a shorter period of time.

See my post under General Health re:discussion with my Cardiologist friend.

Marcel
07-17-2002, 01:45 PM
I don't have any studies or anything to prove what I'm about to say but whatever...

Try sprints. I mean real sprints outside. Let's say you sprint for 30 sec all out then jog to catch your breath for 90 sec and repeat. Repeat as many times as you want.

BTW...most people won't be able to do them. :D