PDA

View Full Version : A Brief History

bigfatty
07-15-2002, 10:42 AM
So Here I am... and to understand how I got here, I guess you need to know where I started from (if you're interested)

I'm a 28 year old mother of a two year old. Before getting knocked up, I was active and fit. I guess once the rabbit died, it was my excuse to plump out. I didn't eat for two, I ate for three! I went from being 120lbs to 185. Seeing how I'm only 5'1", saying I was a blimp was an undestatement.

After my son was born, I went down to about 150lbs, and stayed there for about a year. After a Thanksgiving 2001 pig-out session, I joined the gym. I got down to about 135lbs as recently as May 2002, and was working out with weights 5x weekly. I had just benched 100lbs for the first time since high school, but then... work happened.

Since June 2002, I started a new summer project, about 100 miles from my home. The daily drive is about 3 hours, and after working ten hour days, by the time I get home, I am spent. Needless to say, I haven't lifted a weight since, and prospect for getting back to the gym don't look real good until around September. Of course the diet has gone to hell... if you consider Burgers, Ice Cream, and Budweiser to be much of a diet! I am now probably back up in the 145-150 lb range, I am now afraid of my scale again.

My short term goal is to get back into a routine that doesn't require any equipment. Push ups, Situps, and the like. If anyone can make any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I don't want to have to wear my shorts over my swimsuit anymore... :(

bigfatty
07-15-2002, 11:01 AM
Since not getting to the gym is going to be a temporary thing for me, I've decided to revisit what my Goals are, both short and long term.... and how I'm going to acheive those goals

Short Term Goals (Until regular work schedule resumes):

1. Stop gaining weight - no more beer and burger dinners

2. Maintain muscle - thru daily exercise

3. Improve diet - eat 5-6 meals daily

4. Improve hydration - water, water, water!

Long Term Goals:

1. Get back down to 125 lbs - strict diet/cardio 3x weekly

2. Gain muscle and strength - back to the 5x weekly weight training sessions

3. Regain flexibility - via regular stretching

captain piddles
07-15-2002, 11:15 AM
good luck
it looks like you got everything planned out well
keep us posted on your progress

bigfatty
07-16-2002, 06:32 AM
6:30am - Egg beaters, Bagel

9:00am - Nurtigrain bar, carrot stix

11:30am - 6" Subway ham n cheese sandwich, string cheese
(I seem to be on a cheese kick lately - never used to eat it)

4:00pm - Nasty Processed chicken nuggets from Wendy's (amazing what you will eat when you are starved and have $2 in your pocket) - 440 cal, 28 g fat, 22g protein

5:30pm - other 1/2 of Subway sandwich

Good things - Didn't eat after 5:30pm, avoided ice cream

Bad things - not enough water, need to avoid fast food

The "I can't get to the gym workout"
(See previous posts for the entire story)

Legs:
Calf Raises - Bodyweight 25 reps, 2 sets
Sissy Squats - Bodyweight 25 reps , 2 sets

Upper:
Push ups - 25 reps, 2 sets
Chair Dips - 20 reps, 2 sets

Abs:
crunches - 20 reps, 2 sets
Leg Lifts - 20 reps, 2 sets

I would really like to add some other exercises, if anyone has any suggestions.......

Slept very well last night - actually overslept this morn, got 8 hours... My lats and calves hurt a bit. I just looked at the calendar, and it's only been a 7 week layoff from working out... amazing how I went downhill so quickly.

Relentless
07-16-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by bigfatty
The "I can't get to the gym workout"
(See previous posts for the entire story)

Legs:
Calf Raises - Bodyweight 25 reps, 2 sets
Sissy Squats - Bodyweight 25 reps , 2 sets

Upper:
Push ups - 25 reps, 2 sets
Chair Dips - 20 reps, 2 sets

Abs:
crunches - 20 reps, 2 sets
Leg Lifts - 20 reps, 2 sets

I would really like to add some other exercises, if anyone has any suggestions.......

You could try isometric stuff as well; in the absence of weights, they are a viable option. Plenty of stuff on the web about them...

At need, you can also use household items to help you work out... you could do extensions, curls, press, etc. with full containers of laundry detergent or something.

Actually, if you're stuck working out at home, why not spring for at least a couple of dumbbells with various weights (if you get the kind that are adjustable, you don't need to buy 400 different weights of DB).

You sound like you know your way around the gym; why not equip your home with a couple of things to help you get your workout accomplished. If you're on a budget, you can sometimes luck out and find old weights at garage sales or in the paper, rather than buying new at Fitness Depot or whatever. Even with just a single pair of DBs, you can radically expand the number and quality of exercises you can do at home. It's still not quite the same as a gym, but it's a help.

That's my ideas for now. You clearly already know what you gotta do to make things happen -- just don't let the difficulty of your current situation stop you. Adapt. Improvise. Overcome. (there, I sound like a bloody recruiting commercial for the armed forces! LOL!!)

Cheers,
Callahan

P.S. I can commisserate about the commute... I spend 3-4 hours a day commuting myself and it is a tiring, soul-destroying waste of time. I've been doing it for a year and a half so far. Hey! That reminds me - I don't know how flexible your schedule is on the project, but maybe you can do what I do; I already know I'll be too tired to lift if I wait till I get home so I go even earlier to work, stay a little later, and take a long lunch, which I use to go to the gym. If you can swing it, it's not a bad solution to the commuter-blues.

bigfatty
07-16-2002, 08:00 AM
Thanx for the ideas, Callahan... I have been using workplace items for presses.. people sure give ya weird looks when ya grab a rack mount server by the handles and start pulling it up to chin height several times!

But I shall prevail... I am kinda mad at my gym owner... when I signed up, he made promises he hasn't kept (I'll have the gym opened at 5:30am)... So getting there before work really isn't viable. I will pursue the isometric option.

Hearing encouragement from forum members really keeps me focused.

bigfatty
07-17-2002, 06:18 AM
Its amazing how much better I feel after cutting out some of the crap from my diet. I am definitely not eating clean, but skipping the fries and burgers for 3 days has made my shorts fit better already. That inspires me. An impromptu party broke out at my house last night, and I passed up free beer, and didn't think twice about it. I just munched away on carrot sticks while friends pounded beers on my deck. I'm not saying I won't indulge anymore - just not now.

Yesterdays food:

6am - Banana, bagel - need more protein first thing in am

9am - carrot stix, string cheese, nutrigrain bar

12pm - Lean roast beef sandwich, Kraft Easy Mac

3pm - Bag of baked ruffles from Subway (from yesterday's lunch)
(need to keep healthy snax for the afternoon munchies. I found the chips hiding in the back seat of my car...)

630pm - 4 oz Pork Loin, white rice

9pm - More carrot stix, handfull of raisins

Yesterdays exercises:

Tons of isometric stuff - felt goofy doing it in spare time at work, had to explain to people what da heck I was doing...

Assorted overhead presses and swiss ball exercises... Didn't write it down in my book, so I don't recall specifics now. My lats still burn from Monday.

Goals for today

1. More water
2. Some type of cardio - even if its just walking
3. Hit Bi's/Tri's hard

bigfatty
07-18-2002, 07:27 AM
Workout:

Overhead presses - 3 sets 30 reps - only light weights to use

Lateral raises - 2 sets 15 reps

Curls - 2 sets 15 reps

Crunches - 2 set 30 reps

Sleep - 7 hours

Diet - started off well, turned ugly quickly

630am - bagel

900am - banana, carrot stix, string cheese

1230pm - garden salad, 10 chix nuggies (waited too long to eat... but at least passed on the fries)

630pm - Embarrassed to admit - pizza, bread stix, 2 pints Labatt's Blue (waited too long to eat... statring to be a recurring theme. You would think I could figure out what to do about this.)

I will do better tomorrow! I will not be a slave to fast food

bigfatty
07-18-2002, 07:34 AM
Not more than 2 minutes ago, I posted that my diet would be better today. I went to my lunch bag to see what I could nibble on, since lunch is about 2.5 hours away... and I apparently left what I had packed for lunch on my kitchen table! The contents of my bag are limited to water and diet coke. And I have exactly $3.75 in quarters in my car to fund this meal.

Is there anything filling I can eat for $3.75? My choices are - Wendys, McDonalds, BK, Arby's? I should ask this in the nutrition forum...