PDA

View Full Version : Dextrose pre-workout makes me feel sick..

Juan
07-17-2002, 02:17 AM
..to my stomach when I work out. I take about 40-50 grams with 10 grams Creatine before a workout. I was taking the creatine before, so I know that it isn't the culprit. Yesterday, I almost blew chunks afterward hitting the gym, and wasn't able to drink my post workout protein shake. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions? Would eating some bread with the dextrose help?

Mystic Eric
07-17-2002, 02:35 AM
Errmmm... you don't need that much creatine.. but one possible reason of your 'chunks' is that you're dehydrated from the creatine?

Juan
07-17-2002, 03:48 PM
I drink lots of water.

raniali
07-17-2002, 03:57 PM
Dextrose post-workout can make me sick - since many times I have completely NO appetite after training. Perhaps try a different carb source....?

syntekz
07-17-2002, 07:51 PM
How long have you been taking Creatine? When I first began taking it I was getting sick to my stomach for about 1 - 2 weeks.

Juan
07-18-2002, 01:54 AM
I've been using creatine for about 6 months (off and on)

I tried something different today. Usually, preworkout, I have a small protein shake with dextrose and creatine in milk. Today I had creatine and dextrose in water, with no shake. I had a great leg workout, with no ill affects. Then, I had an extra big post-workout protein shake to make up for the pre-meal one I skipped. This seems to work, so I'm going to stick with it. Either it was the dairy, or the protein with the dextrose and creatine that made things tough on my gut.

HighlyFanatic
08-13-2002, 01:54 AM
i've had similar experiences....

i think it has to do with the fact that when we exercise, gastric secretion decreases, and ur body slows down digestion when active.

about 2 weeks ago i made a pre-workout shake (2 scoops gatorade, 1 or 2 scoops whey, 750 mL of water) and chugged it down about 15 minutes before workin out.....during the workout i was fine....but right after steppin outa the gym. my stomach felt like a mess, i felt like crap, and my appetite was gone to hell

LAM
08-14-2002, 09:08 AM
why would you consume a high GI sugar like dextrose before training ? honey is a much better solution pre-workout...

pre-workout - 5 min prior to training I consume

1-2 tablespoons honey
20-25 grams of whey

gettinjackT
08-14-2002, 05:15 PM
Would the honey pre workout, lower your insulin spike postworkout?

Borgod Maxximus
08-14-2002, 07:15 PM
Why is a high GI sugar like dextrose before training not a good idea?

I have dextrose and maltodextrin with my creatine, both before and after my workout.

LAM
08-14-2002, 07:50 PM
how long before the training session are you ingesting the dextrose ?

Fuel
08-15-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Borgod Maxximus
Why is a high GI sugar like dextrose before training not a good idea?

I have dextrose and maltodextrin with my creatine, both before and after my workout.

simple sugars before workout will mess up valuable body chemistry while working out. but it depends on what schedule your meals are on too.....

Borgod Maxximus
08-15-2002, 08:00 PM
I probably drink it about 20/30mins before my workout

How does it mess up my 'body chemistry' ?

Not trying to be a pain in the arse, just very curious because I was thinking the simple sugars to help the creatine get in the muscles before my workout has to be a good thing.
Maybe I SHOULD get some ALA :/

LAM
08-15-2002, 11:12 PM
The onset of exercise will suppress an insulin spike if the drink is consumed directly before training. If insulin was allowed to be spiking pre-workout the post workout spike would not be as pronounced when it is most valuable.

The purpose of spiking insulin with dextrose/creatine is to drive the nutrients into skeletal muscle, which is "starving" post exercise. High GI carbs are not needed pre-workout to use creatine. By simply ingesting the creatine it will be present in the bloodstream for use in the Krebs/ATP cycle.

The practice of spiking insulin shouldn't be used all the time. I would reserve intentionally spiking insulin to post workout.

Borgod Maxximus
08-15-2002, 11:25 PM
OK I hear ya

How should ALA be used in this?
Postworkout also or 600mg over the day?

LAM
08-15-2002, 11:53 PM
use ALA with high GI carbs post workout and/or the meals during the day with the largest portions of carbs...I would use 1 gram post workout and 200-300 with each meal.

Borgod Maxximus
08-16-2002, 12:25 AM
i wonder if i can get it in powder form

anyone in australia know if ya can?