PDA

View Full Version : White vs. Brown rice.

Juan
07-17-2002, 02:35 AM
I was born in Hawaii, and had a Chinese babysitter. Then I moved to Huntington beach, and ate 4+ meals per week with a Vietnamese family that my family was close to. As a result, I LOVE WHITE RICE! Jasmine, sticky rice (short grain), or Basmatti, it all tastes great!

Brown rice on the other hand, is bland and boring. How much healthier is it? It must be much better than white rice nutritionally, because the taste can not compare to a steaming bowl of jasmine rice.

YatesNightBlade
07-17-2002, 06:43 AM
Basmatti is actually lower gycemic than Brown.

Enjoy.

Tryska
07-17-2002, 07:33 AM
it is?

there is a god.

WannaBeStrong
07-17-2002, 09:06 AM
I love vs. threads.

I think I am going to make one...like "Oatmeal vs Ice Cream" or "Metamucil vs Cheese"

hemants
07-17-2002, 01:03 PM
Brown Basmati if u can find it would be the pan-ultimate.

Also, New potatoes are MUCH lower glycemic than Red skinned (62 vs 88)

body
07-18-2002, 11:44 AM
there is not much difference between white and brown as there is between white and wholemeal bread or white pasta versus whole wheat pasta.

both of these in my opion are better carbs source than rice.

hemants
07-18-2002, 12:28 PM
Here are some nums:

http://www.logicnutrition.com/home/systems_thelow.htm

White Spaghetti 41
Whole wheat spaghetti 37

Basmati rice 58
Brown rice 55

White bread 70
Stone ground Whole Wheat 53
Rye Bread 65
French Baguette 95

P.S. I think the glycemic index is a bit hokey because it only samples insulin 1 hour after eating. What you would really need to know is an insulin curve for each food as some foods may spike b4 or after the 1 hour mark.

body
07-18-2002, 12:48 PM
there is more than the GI to consider.

rice is lower in protien then pasta and bread as well.

they both have like 8-10 gram protein per 100 grams compared to rice with 2 grams per 100.

if your eating a fairly large portion of food, this will add up to a bit.

mineral and vitamin wise, brown rice is probably better than white including basmatii.

can't you get basmartti rice in a brown form anyway?

Behemoth
07-18-2002, 01:03 PM
White Spaghetti 41

Why can't I eat this? What's wrong with it? Something besides GI?

body
07-18-2002, 03:43 PM
its not as good whole wheat spagetthi.

whole wheat has more vit and mineral and fibres, lower GI. on the negative side it has more phytates that will hinder asborption of calcuim.

Tryska
07-18-2002, 05:22 PM
lots of whjeat protein may not be a good thing tho.

Vido
07-18-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by body
there is more than the GI to consider.

rice is lower in protien then pasta and bread as well.

Just as all cals are not equal, all proteins are certainly not equal. Although protein in carbohydrate-based products adds to the total number of calories of the food, you should not count these grams of protein for your daily protein requirements (whether it's 1g/lb of bodyweight or 0.5g or whatever). The biological value of these proteins is too low and they are not complete proteins either.

Behemoth
07-18-2002, 09:31 PM
So white pasta isn't a bad food? I was under the impression it was, basically it's not bad, it's just not as good as some?
Would you guys feel guilty eating white pasta?

body
07-19-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Vido

Just as all cals are not equal, all proteins are certainly not equal. Although protein in carbohydrate-based products adds to the total number of calories of the food, you should not count these grams of protein for your daily protein requirements (whether it's 1g/lb of bodyweight or 0.5g or whatever). The biological value of these proteins is too low and they are not complete proteins either.

but when you added the chicken and tuna to the pasta. its a complete source of protein.

if you combine a eg beans on toast, the protien becomes complete source.

by your logic vegans can't add up protien as non of there sources are complete.

in regard to the GI. the Gi is altered anyway. when we add lots of mayo and meat to it.