PDA

View Full Version : some diet help....

tblair7788
05-16-2001, 09:56 PM
Can you guys give me some ideas on a diet.. I am trying to lose about 30 lbs.. i have a stocky build and have lifted weights off and on for about 5 years.. I am 5.7 and weigh 195.. if i could get down to 170..then i could start lifting heavy and gain some serious muscle... I do lift a few times a week..nothing serious..just a few sets of legs.chest.back... the major muscle groups... I do cardio a half hour a day..everyday except sunday.... mostly running on a treadmill or a lifecycle... I eat good foods.. eggs.tuna.chicken and some bad..pizza... i dont drink beer or smoke...so give me a idea on how i can kickstart this weight losing effort of mine...thanks for helping...

Joe Black
05-17-2001, 03:57 AM
OK first thing is start training SERIOUSLY and cut cardio down..

Most people believe the best way to lose fat is to do cardio and restrict weight training.. I think thats toially wrong it will just make you weak..

Train hard and heavy ALL bodyparts.. Search here for some good 3-4 day splits..

Weight training = more muscle = higher mtabolism = more fat burned each day.. Get it ?

Do cardio a couple times a week on your off days and start to diet properly...

How many meals do you eat a day? Try and get 5-6 If you are eating 3, make them smaller and eat more regualry.. Eating more regularly will again increase the metabolism..

Eat GOOD, CLEAN Foods .... Restrict bad foods to one day out of 7... (Cheat day)

I would start looking into how to calculate your amr (active metabolic rate) as this will help you to figure the right amount of calories to eat to lose fat..

This month Anthony's article explains that well..

http://www.wannabebig.com/dietbasics.php

Read through the archive sections too some good stuiff on clean food sources...

Hope that helps

tblair7788
05-17-2001, 07:57 AM
i eat 3 good meals a day... so if i add 2 or 3 protein shakes a day will that be added to the 5 or 6 small meals a day...Also its not going to hurt if i do a half a hour of cardio a day. or more... I can start lifting heavy and serious but i enjoy doing cardio.thanks for the help

Joe Black
05-17-2001, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by tblair7788
i eat 3 good meals a day... so if i add 2 or 3 protein shakes a day will that be added to the 5 or 6 small meals a day...

Well are you losing weight right now ? If not you donlt want to eat MORE calories... I would try and work out your amr thorught the artciel I gave you..

One you have the amount of calories your eating noted then you can divide it by 6 and eat 6 regualr meals..

Or if you donlt want to do that just cut your 3 meals down a bit and throw in some shakes yeah, but remember some carbs and fat with each meal too..

Also its not going to hurt if i do a half a hour of cardio a day. or more...

I would say it will work against muscle building which will work against fat loss.

but i enjoy doing cardio.thanks for the help :eek: Donlt think I have heard anyone say that before ! :D

gino
05-17-2001, 11:29 AM
Good advice. Shoot for 6 balanced meals(smaller portions than current 3 meals of course).

You enjoy cardio? Wow. Do you enjoy going to the dentist too?

tblair7788
05-17-2001, 11:37 AM
ok.. Lets just say I dont mind cardio..you feel your heart pumping..your sweating..listening to some music...sure.. i dont mind it...its making me healthier...One question....I am not trying to build muscle ..right now..i need to lose 30 lbs and then build from there... that is why i do cardio everyday and lift moderate..to heavy weights... I play basketball or atleast shoot some hoops everyday.. So what i am saying is that i want to tone up... i think if i stay with my current regien..i will see fat loss in a few weeks..but possibly some muscle to...but in the long run..the muscle will come back when i hit the weights hard and heavy in the future... As for eating 6 meals a day...what is the time frame for your hours between meals... thanks for all the help guys....

johnny123
05-17-2001, 12:56 PM
doing the weight training will speed up the fat loss process, i dont know why you wouldnt want quicker,more quality results.

Yaz
05-17-2001, 01:26 PM
I enjoy cardio.

Though look at me. :mad:

gino
05-17-2001, 01:29 PM
Yes, regardless of your end goals, maintain the maximum amount of muscle and the fat will go faster.

Besides, why would you want to sacrifice the muscle if it is detrimental to your goals of burning fat AND you want to put muscle back on in the future? Sacrifice the muscle and it's a lose-lose situation...your body will be a less efficient fat-burning machine, and you'll be trying to put it back on after you lose the fat. It's much easier to burn fat than it is to build muscle. I lost 12 lbs of fat with DIET ALONE. I didn't have to starve myself and spend every day on the treadmill, sacrificing hard earned muscle. I still enjoyed myself and played basketball and did other cardiovascular activities, but I did very little(if any) treadmill work.

tblair7788
05-17-2001, 08:49 PM
ok..so what you guys are telling me..start lifting heavy weights with high intesity. and only do cardio 2 to 3 times a week... also eat 5 to 6 small meals a day... i have been lifting since jan.1. so should i go on a 3 days on and 1 day off and then do cardio on the off day.. like..chest and tri;s on monday and shoulders and bi;s on tues..and then back and legs on wed... thursdday being my off day and then starting all over again..what should i do..thanks

gino
05-18-2001, 10:50 AM
Train each bodypart only once a week. I will be starting my "cutting" diet soon. Little will change in my training schedule:

Day 1 - Chest/Abs
Day 2 - AM cardio(fast walk for 30 min)
Day 3 - Back/calves
Day 4 - AM cardio(same)
Day 5 - SHoulders/Arms
Day 6 - Legs(hams/quads)
Day 7 - off

Diet is THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR. You can do anything you want in the gym, but without the proper diet to complement it, results will be less impressive.

Here are some general diet tips:

-Get most, if not ALL of your nutrients from whole food(save protein shakes for when you're pressed for time or just can't make a real meal)

-Eat often - 6 meals a day(one every 3 hours)

-Balance your meals - Shoot for a set amount of protein/carbs/fat/calories in each meal and try to come as close to that as possible with each meal. For instance, DON'T eat 75g of carbs in meal 3 and then only 15g in meal 4. Try to get around a set amount in every meal - between 30 and 40g for example.

-Avoid: Junk foods(obviously), white bread, pasta, processed meats.

-Cherish: Chicken, fish, oatmeal, wheat bread/bagels, brown rice, flaxseed oil (to name a few)

Eating often will speed up your metabolism - if your body gets on a set schedule where it is getting nutrients/calories consistantly throughout the day, it has no reason to slowly digest food - it knows another meal is coming soon, so it'll quickly take what it needs