PDA

View Full Version : Rehab from SLAP repair

Stonecutter
12-18-2012, 08:41 AM
I just had surgery yesterday morning for a torn labrum and biceps tendon. Surgeon said that it was minor when he got in and the anchors he used (for those who know the procedure) are resorbable, both good things. It was arthroscopic so that should help also as it's less invasive.

I know that I have a long road of PT ahead of me, but for those who have had the same or similar issues, how long do you think until I will be back into normal lifts? and eventually to full strength? Gonna take it as slow as necessary but just wondering.

packers1504
12-18-2012, 01:28 PM
I had a torn labrum and a torn rotator cuff repair in 2005. The doctor also ground down about 1cm of my collar bone. After rehab and 6 month wait before using heavy weight, I was able to come back and bench more than I ever did prior to surgery. My range of motion never came back the whole way, but the strength was fine.
In August 2010 I tore my pec - a complete tear of the pectoralis major tendon. I had surgery to repair the tendon (3 titanium pins to attach the tendon). After rehab and another 6 months, I was able to start benching heavy again. Again, my strength came back fine & I was again hitting PR's on the bench in the gym. Unfortunately I then tore my bicep (proximal) in January of 2012. After a third, and hopefully last surgery (with a fourth titanium pin attaching the tendon), I was able to return to heavy benching. In November 2012 at the WABDL World Championships in Las Vegas, I won the 181 lb wt class (masters 47-53) setting a PR and a world record of 518 lbs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoSMIM5RYsA&list=UU478ye2pzkJDzjyJwwepbhQ&index=1
You should be able to return to heavy lifting. However, it is very important to allow enough time for the injury to heal before you start lifting heavy. Good luck in your rehab and return to lifting.

Stonecutter
12-19-2012, 02:34 AM
If I'm reading correctly that's 6 months after physical therapy...So I'm looking at 9-12 months until I'm fully back?

packers1504
12-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Obviously, your doctor's directions should be followed. But I can share my post-surgery experience. My surgeon told me that it would take 6 months until the anchor sites and the cartilage is fully healed to the point that heavy training would be OK. He removed all limitations after 6 months, stating that no more healing to the anchor sites & cartilage would occur after 6 months. My labrum tear was accompanied by a rotator cuff tear, so the repair was more involved than yours. But at the 6 month mark I was cleared to go as heavy as I could.
My personal post-surgery workouts followed this time frame:
0 - 3 weeks: No workouts at all.
3.5 weeks: began rehab and continued to the 4 month mark.
3 months: started light benching and light tricep work. For benching, I used machines only (no barbells or dumbells) - started with half reps and slowly worked to 3/4 reps).
4 months: light benching with barbell - no dumbells
5 months: light to moderate benching with barbells and dumbells
6 months: began regular benching without restrictions

I did continue to lift my non-surgery side (single arm movements only) starting at the 3.5 week mark. I just tried very hard to make sure that I did not flex or strain my injured side keeping the weights on the lighter side and keeping the reps in the 10-15 range.
I hope this helps. It was a long 6 months after each surgery, but it did give enough time for the anchors to heal fully. The hardest part is making sure you don't go too heavy too soon.

packers1504
12-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Just to make it clear, the 6 month time frame is 6 months from the date of surgery.
At about the 9 month mark I set a new PR in the bench. So I would say about 9 months would be a good time frame to get you back to where you were before the injury.

ScottYard
12-19-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't have much to offer for post surgery advice. But I do want to say good luck. Good luck!

Goll65
12-19-2012, 04:39 PM
I made a post similar a while ago. I tore my bicep at the elbow, sounds like yours was at the shoulder. My doc said it would take over a year to completely heal, but a tear at the elbow is worse than at the shoulder. My surgery was June 28, I am currently using no more than a 20lb db for my upperbody exercises. I am taking this time to work on my squat #s.

Stonecutter
12-19-2012, 08:35 PM
I hope this helps. It was a long 6 months after each surgery, but it did give enough time for the anchors to heal fully. The hardest part is making sure you don't go too heavy too soon.
You are definitely correct about that.

Of course I'm going to follow doctor's orders. As I said, this is just so I have a rough idea, and 6 months is about what I figured, so it does help. Thank you.

I'll be starting PT very soon actually, likely within the next few days. I'm surprised they had you wait 3.5 weeks. That's longer than I'd have expected.

I don't have much to offer for post surgery advice. But I do want to say good luck. Good luck!
Thanks a lot Scott. Gonna be a long road but I have high goals when I get back so it will be worth it.

Goll65
12-20-2012, 08:29 AM
As fo "following the doctors advice" that was the main reason for my post. Now I agree the doc is smarter and knows more about the surgery and recovery but my doc has never been a lifter and is against me lifting half ass heavy in general. He says at 31 I'm too old too lift heavy and should do high reps and more cardio. Just make sure your doc understands you.

Stonecutter
12-21-2012, 03:51 AM
As fo "following the doctors advice" that was the main reason for my post. Now I agree the doc is smarter and knows more about the surgery and recovery but my doc has never been a lifter and is against me lifting half ass heavy in general. He says at 31 I'm too old too lift heavy and should do high reps and more cardio. Just make sure your doc understands you.
That is very annoying. I hate when they're like that..sorry to hear. As if 31 is even approaching "old."

And yes I will. I'm pretty much done with the orthopedist except f/u visits, but I'm going to make sure PT knows my goal is to be back to lifting heavy at full strength. Thank you