PDA

View Full Version : Two man 1,200# deadlift for charity

Bruiser
01-06-2013, 12:29 PM
It was an awesome time at Jakked Gym in Montgomery, IL yesterday. The event was called Pull For Pups and it was a fundraiser for two rescue shelters.There was an amazing turnout and a great time had by all. There was probably 5-6 times the amount of people that showed up last year and a lot more money and donations raised for the rescue shelters. Big thanks to Byron and Tami Hicks for putting on such a great event. And a special thanks to J-Dawg and Universal/Animal for donating some great items for the raffle.

Me and Josh had a pretty good warm up. It's hard to get ready for an event like this because we've never attempted a 2 man pull and have only trained (or even been in the same room together) maybe 3-4 times. Plus it's a custom made bar that we use for the pull. Unfortunately we came up short and just missed pulling the 1,200#. I didn't realize just how damn close we came until I saw the picture my oldest son took! Damn! For 2 guys who's combined DL total is around 850#, we did REAL F***ING good! I'm proud to have been a part of such an event. Here's a pic and video.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i466/pierce76/image-1_zps79826c55.jpg

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=T-nbXU4lWK4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DT-nbXU4lWK4

Bruiser
01-06-2013, 12:32 PM
My 6 year old (Autistic) son wanted to try to pull too! How could I tell my MiniMe no? Lol. So we went up and gave it a try. Of course it didn't move. But when we got home last night he was upset that he couldn't move the bar. This is how the conversation went.

Johnny: "I wasn't able to lift it" (tears in his eyes)
Me: "how many guys were there that who were bigger than daddy but didn't even try?"
Johnny: "a lot"
Me: "Then you did better than all of them"
Johnny: "yeah" (big smile)

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i466/pierce76/image-1_zps70aaccce.jpg

GazzyG
01-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Great work, bud! Story about your kid brought a smile to my face too.

Bruiser
01-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Great work, bud! Story about your kid brought a smile to my face too.

Thanks man. It was a great time! I am SORE today though! Lol.

vdizenzo
01-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Nice tuggin' for a great cause. Well done.

Bruiser
01-07-2013, 05:20 AM
Nice tuggin' for a great cause. Well done.

Thanks a lot. It was a great time and I'm already planning my strategy for the next one! I WILL pull at least 5 reps next year. And my son said he's gonna lift the bar over his head! That's my boy...

Rugby Dad
01-07-2013, 04:17 PM
my question is:
Let's say 2 guys both of whom can pull 600 on any given day (post warm up).
How hard or easy should a 2-man pull of 1,200 be?

Bruiser
01-07-2013, 05:02 PM
my question is:
Let's say 2 guys both of whom can pull 600 on any given day (post warm up).
How hard or easy should a 2-man pull of 1,200 be?

It's a whole different monster. The bar is a custom bar that's about 1/2" wider than a standard bar. Plus the start position is higher up. For me that made it harder. I get all my leverage from my speed coming off the floor. I've always pulled more from the floor than from blocks or a rack. You really can't get your hips into it, it's almost all your back. And a lot of it is timing too. Having to pull the slack and get your pull started at the exact same time. It's a bitch. I'd never pulled like that before we walked up to the bar so we had no experience with this at all. It was a great time though. Next year I'm getting 5+ reps no matter what!