PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Intermittent Fasting?

2kool
01-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Trying to spark some discussion here on the topic of intermittent fasting. I have a friend who uses this dieting method and swears by it. I think he uses the 16 hour fast/8 hour feast variation. I've read alot of articles about it (including the one here on WBB) but it seems like theres one contradictory article for every positive one written about it. Basically what I have taken away from it is that does prove that meal frequency isn't as important as traditional "bodybuilding" diets claim it to be. It's just hard for me to find any concrete evidence showing that it unquestionably is the best way of eating for all the things its proponents claim it to be (reduced body fat/improves cognition/numerous health benefits/etc).

Does anyone here follow a variation of the IF protocol? If so, do you feel like it has benefited you in terms of health or body composition?

oh and obviously the proper foods are the most important part of things. so i know that eating the wrong things whether through IF or not will get you nowhere. just wondering if anyone actually uses IF in any one of its forms.

vdizenzo
01-08-2013, 01:29 PM
I go between 12-14 hours without eating. It just works for me. Honestly, it's much like training. You can use 5/3/1, conjugate training, block periodization, and a myriad of other ways to get big and strong. They all work. You just have to find the one that you believe in and works for you. I believe the same to be true about dieting. Find a protocol that you believe in, makes sense to you, and then follow it consistently.

Allen Cress
01-11-2013, 06:01 AM
There is no one perfect way to diet. Different methods work for different people. Everything from carb cycle, IF, fat based, carb based, eating 6 times a day, etc... They all work, but not all work for everyone. Experiment and find out what suits you best. Some have better benefits than others.

For myself I couldn't even imagine only eating 8 hours out of the day because of the amount of calories I need, I have 7 meals a day. SO the take away point is no one type of diet is best. Everyone has their own philosophy.

2kool
01-11-2013, 09:57 PM
yeah that has been what i've taken away from it all. i think one of the articles i read on the subject was written by you wasnt it?

2kool
01-11-2013, 10:04 PM
I go between 12-14 hours without eating. It just works for me. Honestly, it's much like training. You can use 5/3/1, conjugate training, block periodization, and a myriad of other ways to get big and strong. They all work. You just have to find the one that you believe in and works for you. I believe the same to be true about dieting. Find a protocol that you believe in, makes sense to you, and then follow it consistently.

great advice. i think whats lost in the search for the right diet or right training method alot of times is actually the most important thing of all.... CONSISTENCY.