PDA

View Full Version : double bw bench achievable?

gaz90
01-08-2013, 02:14 PM
since i was 15 ive always been able to bench press 1.5 times bw or more.

i would consider the bench to be my strongest and favorite of the 3 lifts, because of this ive always wanted to achieve a double bw press...

ive been at a 1.75xbw for nearly 2years, as i get stronger i get heavier -I am happy with the progress I'm making, but it leaves me wondering if such a goal is in reach? not that it makes a difference, im addicted to lifting so screw the stupid numbers.

how common is a double bw bench anyway?!

ScottYard
01-08-2013, 06:59 PM
A double body weight bench isnt very common raw. In a shirt Guys are doing triple body weight.

Think about it

A double body weight for 198 raw is 396, for 242 its 484, for 275 its 550, and for 300 its 600. These are national caliber elite level benchs and I know in many feds would be american/national record or very close to it.

That being said its very possible. Just remember that powerlifting is a marathon not sprint and progress can be slow and take a long time. Just plug away and a double body weight bench could happen.

vdizenzo
01-09-2013, 07:07 AM
It is definitely achievable. It is something I am really proud I accomplished. However, I only ended up doing it after dropping some extra bodyfat. Pretty simple concept, the heavier you are the harder it is to achieve.

gaz90
01-09-2013, 11:09 AM
thanks guys, thats what i was hoping to hear!

Cary Pond
01-09-2013, 02:16 PM
A Just remember that powerlifting is a marathon not sprint and progress can be slow and take a long time. Just plug away and a double body weight bench could happen.

I think this is the most important thing to remember here. SOOOOOOOOO many people want something RIGHT now and don't want to work for it. That's what sets us powerlifters apart. WE have taken the time and effort to obtain something so many people want.

Keep up the good work and lifting. It sounds right now like you're dedicated to the hobby-obsession as it is !!!! Good things comes to those who work hard.