PDA

View Full Version : serious question - would a sauna benefit a powerlifter

jmccown
01-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Considering adding a sauna to my home gym simply for potential benefits of joint aches and pains, mobility, etc. I have been in a sauna less than 5 times my whole life and enjoy them but inquiring if they would be helpful if used a couple times a week for a guy who has ongoing shoulder and elbow problems.

Bruiser
01-11-2013, 03:20 PM
I can only imagine it would help speed up recovery. I know if I get right into a scalding hot shower the second I'm done training I don't have DOMS nearly as bad if at all. Here's a few articles about sauna and muscle recovery to check out.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hale5.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/268288-a-sauna-muscle-recovery/

ScottYard
01-11-2013, 04:04 PM
I like using the sauna post meet. I think it does speed recovery but who knows. I does help with my hangover LOL. I would check some medical journals about different heats and what works and doesnt work for sore joints and muscles.

theBarzeen
01-11-2013, 05:16 PM
I really like using contrasting temperatures to help recovery. So, not sure how well the sauna by itself would help, although it might, but to have a sauna and either an ice bath or cold shower to alternate between, that would be awesome.

larsen540
01-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Yes it will help

kingns
01-12-2013, 02:32 PM
My training partner warms up in the sauna for 15 mins or so before we workout. I dont know if he stretches in there or what but hes an older/beat up lifter and he says its imperitive

Alex.V
01-14-2013, 05:09 AM
I would never use one immediately before or after a workout- ESPECIALLY not after a workout. Go check out what the old Soviet sports teams and weightlifters would do with regards to sauna usage- they swore by it, but also worked it carefully into their programs.

Jonathan E
01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Would a hot tub translate to similar benefits? Just acquired one myself.

dammstrate
01-15-2013, 07:40 AM
All the NFL players/trainers swear by the cold tub after a workout, to shut down
swelling. Would seem like a sauna would be counterproductive. Would be nice
for 5 min or so as part of warming up, that would be helpful.

Jonathan E
01-15-2013, 06:40 PM
All the NFL players/trainers swear by the cold tub after a workout, to shut down
swelling. Would seem like a sauna would be counterproductive. Would be nice
for 5 min or so as part of warming up, that would be helpful.

At the same time though, after you ice an injured muscle for a day or two, its instructed to apply heat to it. Im not disagreeing with you at all, im just curious what others think when it comes to ice/heat benefits and when/how to use each one?

RhodeHouse
01-16-2013, 11:13 AM
I think a hot tub (immersion) is ther best remedy. The sauna would probably feel good adn help relax you, but it's not the best. If you like the sauna, it may be worth putting in just because.

Dank27
01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Sauna used to make my joints ache ironically. I sweat a lot so the dehydration was very quick for me.

Hot tub for 15min after training worked well for me but Ice Bath is still my #1. It hurts at first but feel much better next day.

I say try them all and see waht works. Or like Barzeen said a combo might do the trick