PDA

View Full Version : PR'S

powerm64
01-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Just want to ask the older guys like myself a question about PR's. When you are training and wanting to hit a PR, is the PR an all time best or what? I will be 49 years old next month and when I'm training and wanting to hit a PR it is getting so hard to do so. I know what all of my all time best PR's are from 1990 to present and use this as my guide. It is very hard to beat a PR from when I was at my peak about eight to tens years ago and some even longer than that:help. Do you reset your PR's by age, weight class or what?

chris mason
01-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I personally don't, no. I am 42. At some point you most certainly will no longer be able to progress. That varies from lifter to lifter and drugs certainly make a difference.

powerm64
01-31-2013, 06:33 PM
Thank Chris

ScottYard
02-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Just want to ask the older guys like myself a question about PR's. When you are training and wanting to hit a PR, is the PR an all time best or what? I will be 49 years old next month and when I'm training and wanting to hit a PR it is getting so hard to do so. I know what all of my all time best PR's are from 1990 to present and use this as my guide. It is very hard to beat a PR from when I was at my peak about eight to tens years ago and some even longer than that:help. Do you reset your PR's by age, weight class or what?

Im not as old as you but I know the feeling. I have trained at 305 all the way down to the 230's. I have done things I could only dream about now but Im also 50 pounds lighter now. TO combat the fact that all my biggest lifts are most likely behind me(Unless I go back up to 300plus) I make different goals. Like doing new weight classes or going 9 for 9 or making all three dealdifts come meet day(Something i have only done once in 35-40 meets LOL). Spice it up and dont let numbers be your only measure of success.

Tom Mutaffis
02-01-2013, 04:16 PM

One way to reach PR's is to work in new exercises and try to make consistent progress with them (not just doing something new for a default PR). An example would be if you never squat with bands and then you try it and squat 315 lbs + Doubled Mini Bands, and use that as a 'baseline' for Future PR's.

I know a lot of lifters also keep track of weight class specific PR's so if you previously lifted in the 220's and now you are in the 198's you would re-set for PR's specific to that weight class, and just documenting them differently in your training journal.

Hope this helps.