PDA

View Full Version : PR Box Squat

Bassist-Dude
02-01-2013, 12:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9opZV21-u4g&feature=youtu.be

From Monday's ME Lower day and (at time of filming) 13 days out from my first powerlifting meet. Was way beyond stoked after I hit this, and it's got me wondering what weights I should take at the meet.

Anyways, just thought I'd share, and any tips or suggestions are very welcome!

andhen2003
02-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Nice PR-grin!

Travis Bell
02-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Have you free squatted before? That will probably play into what you want to take at the meet. Obviously I'm a big fan of the box squat but if this is your first meet you might not know what your carryover is going to be.

Bassist-Dude
02-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Nice PR-grin!

Thanks! I love the transition I made from looking super angry/focused to bright and cheerful after, it was a cool dynamic to catch on film.

Have you free squatted before? That will probably play into what you want to take at the meet. Obviously I'm a big fan of the box squat but if this is your first meet you might not know what your carryover is going to be.

I have done a fair bit of free squatting. On the ME day before this one, I took 305 for a fairly easy triple after doing rack pulls, and I hit 315lbs x1 around four months ago. Prior to joining the gym I'm at now (about 3 months ago), I was free squatting 3 days a week on Madcow's 5x5. After joining, I moved into using box squats for speed work and various ME lifts, following more of a Westside approach.

You're absolutely right though, in that I'm not sure what my carryover will be. Are there any general rules or ways I can estimate my free squat without taxing myself too much in the week before the meet, or should I just play it by feel during warm-ups?