PDA

View Full Version : wtf?

bandit_193
07-18-2002, 09:05 PM
I been a lurker for a while... But I got ask this one!!!

I started doing a three-day depletion, one-day refeed about two-weeks ago.

Now I've gained 6 lbs but lost 1 in. from my waist.

I'm trying to cut, not gain. Although I'll take the smaller waist.

wtf?

Started at 226 last September.....

Blood, sweat and commitment have rewarded me with the following results:

hgt: 5'10"
wgt: 175
bf: 15%
goal bf: 10%

Goin_Big
07-18-2002, 09:08 PM
that's awesome, keep workin hard.

GuitarPlayer
07-18-2002, 09:43 PM
and you are complaining ..... ?

it's one thing to gain 6 lbs and lose inches off your waist but you have the nerve to brag about that stuff!

j/k congratulations

Behemoth
07-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Some of it could be water weight, or maybe it's just simply that your diet is in line and you've lost fat and gained muscle. Sounds like a good thing, so props to you man.

Tryska
07-18-2002, 10:50 PM
my advice?

ignore the scale and go with the tape measure for progress.

bandit_193
07-18-2002, 11:22 PM
No complaints here, pretty stoked to be honest. Just wasn't my expectation.

I actually thought I was losing weight judging by the mirror. Then stepped on the scale for the first time in two weeks and whoa, up 5.5-6.0 lbs.

I should have mentioned, I started doing WBB1 about two-weeks ago in addition to the diet mod. I am going fairly low volume, ultra high-intensity 2 sets 6-8. I am sure that has probably stimulated some muscle growth.

It's just pretty cool to see progress after being plateaued for the past 3 months.........

BTW-- Found WBB on a link from elite. I must say it is a much classier group over here.

raniali
07-19-2002, 12:33 PM
The SAME thing happened to me after giving myself 4 weeks on a CKD. I gained 7 pounds, noticeably leaner, and stronger - but I was completely baffled! After talking to some people, and doing a search for answers, I have concluded the following:

*I lost fat
*I MAY have gained muscle
*Most of the weight increase is water

If I had kept better record of body measurements and food counts - I would have a more definite answer. But in retrospect, I realize my calories on my no-carb days were HIGH with lots of protein (as usual). I think the additional calories coupled with ample protein and less training *probably* did cause some muscle synthesis. I have since refined my CKD, dropping calories significantly and am seeing the weight come off as planned.

Good luck.

galileo
07-19-2002, 12:56 PM
I am sorry for all of your problems. I will pray for you.

Behemoth
07-19-2002, 03:31 PM
I don't understand what you were trying to convey galileo, but anyhow, where in Pa are you from?

galileo
07-19-2002, 05:05 PM
To quote some of my homies in da' burgh - "Word up, wesside!"

bandit_193
07-27-2002, 12:35 AM
I weighed in at 181 on monday morning after a 5000 calorie clean cheat day.

Since Monday dropped all carbs except for trace and post-workout, no refeeds.

Dropped calories down to 1800 and drank 2 gallons a day of water plus a few diet coke to fill my belly after these low calorie meals.

Friday morning weighed in at 169 waist is now 31.

Must of been holding a lot of water to drop that much in 5 days.

I'm gonna stick to this diet as long as I can keep my sanity. Then go for about a week of BFL type diet. Then back to this again.

Shooting for 10-11%.

BTW- I was looking at some BFL transformations this week. Some of those fatties were saying they had 10% bodyfat. Seems like some people really have no concept of what bodyfat is.

mickeys
09-18-2002, 01:07 AM
your body probably stored fat because it stopped getting the nutrition it's used to getting.

the best way to lose is fat, is do cardio upon wakening, w/o eating. A new study shows that drinking whey protein BEFORE cardio will prevent muscle loss which comes with cutting.

Eating before cardio isnt good because then you're just burning off the calories in the food, and running on the carbs/fat for energy.

when theres no carbs/fat in your system (morning) your body is forced to burn it's own fat, and also will burn some muscle as energy (this is why whey protein helps)

Cutting out all carbs, and having a high fat, high protein diet will also cause you to lose fat. Have a carb up every 2-3 days.

also, lifting makes you lose fat, as the muscle eats up fat stores

Stray
09-18-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by bandit_193
Now I've gained 6 lbs but lost 1 in. from my waist.

Congrats man!

:D

Mortin
09-20-2002, 05:30 PM
one day refeed is called a binge. that is why you gain weight. your body will take that binge and store it all as fat. cut out the binging and you will lose.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-20-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by mickeys
your body probably stored fat because it stopped getting the nutrition it's used to getting.

Umm...i think he's posting his beneficial results. He doesn't seem to be complaining to me, only perplexed.

the best way to lose is fat, is do cardio upon wakening, w/o eating.

Only once your diet is in check.

A new study shows that drinking whey protein BEFORE cardio will prevent muscle loss which comes with cutting.

Eating before cardio isnt good because then you're just burning off the calories in the food, and running on the carbs/fat for energy.

when theres no carbs/fat in your system (morning) your body is forced to burn it's own fat, and also will burn some muscle as energy (this is why whey protein helps)

If there's protein in the stomach, sure it may spare muscle. But it'll just convert the protein to glucose via hepatic gluconeogenesis. Well, most of it anyway. So while you may be right in saying that if you have food in your stomach it'll just burn that off first, or burn a larger portion of calories from that source over another, having whey in your stomach isn't really gonna be that much different from having 'food' in your stomach. Thus, taking in whey would kinda negate your idea of morning cardio "on an empty stomach".

Cutting out all carbs, and having a high fat, high protein diet will also cause you to lose fat. Have a carb up every 2-3 days.

If i ate 4000kcals of fat and protein and only burned 2000kcals, would i lose fat?

If i ate 1500kcals of carbs (and some protein and EFAs to meet requirements) and burned 2000kcals, would i gain weight?

What does it all mean?

Organise your calories before jumping into any type of diet. Sure, lower insulin may help lose fat easier and less fluctuations in blood sugar levels may aid in keeping cravings and appetite at bay, but you need to be burning more than you consume for a net loss.

also, lifting makes you lose fat, as the muscle eats up fat stores

this i have absolutely no reply for.

I assume you are referring to the higher metabolic rate of having more muscle??

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-20-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Mortin
one day refeed is called a binge.

No.

A 'binge' implies you've gone off the rails and eaten all you can, usually in the quickest time possible.

A 'refeed' is where you plan to eat over calorie maintenance, focusing primarily on carbs in a bid to boost leptin expression via the hexosamine biosynthetic pathway of carbohydrate metabolism.

that is why you gain weight. your body will take that binge and store it all as fat. cut out the binging and you will lose.

Not true.

Not refeeding can cause more problems than doing so.

Refeeding too often may cause problems, as far as fat loss goes, however, cause there chances are you won't be in calorie deficit as much, and so losing the fat will take longer.

ps - I Love Tina.

Tryska
09-20-2002, 06:50 PM
heh. damn straight.

i did a refeed today.

Mortin
09-21-2002, 08:59 AM
i have a ripped 6 pack. i did not when i did 'refeeding'. what do you know.. those guys who are 'refeeding' are still trying to lose weight. what does that tell ya.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-21-2002, 09:25 AM
i have a ripped 6 pack. i did not when i did 'refeeding'. what do you know.. those guys who are 'refeeding' are still trying to lose weight. what does that tell ya.

Some people are genetically prone to become leaner easier.

Good for you.

In fact, it's people like you most people hate, you lean, six-packed bastard.

Besides, refeeds are performed periodically, not persistantly. It's like cyclical low calorie and high days. Your calories aren't constantly high.

Yanick
09-21-2002, 01:45 PM

Dude,

I'm glad that you can get a 'ripped 6 pack' by being ignorant of modern science, but not all of us follow that path.

I have been dieting for about 5 weeks now (took 1 week off, unplanned, completely off, no gym/structured diet/cardio). Losing about .5 lbs/week. Re-feeding every Fri night-Sat night, dieting sun-fri. My 're-feed' (read: week off) was unintentionally extended to monday after that week that i took off. So it happened that i had a 'refeed' for 7 days straight. I have lost 1.5 lbs (Dry, morning weight) in a week after my week off.

Just some more empirical evidence to throw into the pot.