PDA

View Full Version : 3 weeks out from RUM6 and I get injured...WTF!!!!

Brian Hopper
02-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Yep, last week I tweaked my pec unracking my last set. All week it felt fine and I haven't felt any pain at all, even when I did floor presses on Saturday.

Today, the same thing. All my warm-up sets felt fine, so I decided to keep going up and decided to stop when I feel any pain. I did just that, on my second working set I was supposed to get 340x8, but stopped at 5 because I knew if I did one more rep that was it.

On the bright side, I still plan on doing the meet. But, it looks like i'll be taking a token bench. I'm making an appointment to have it worked on. So, I might see how it feels the day of the meet. But, It's not worth going out there and making things worse, so I might not even chance it.

I'm pretty bummed out about this, because I felt ready to post a PR total and get close to my goal. Oh well, things like this happen, and now it's time to get it better.

ScottYard
02-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Hammer the triceps, delts, and back Brian. 3 weeks isn't that long out. You may still be able to pull
Off a pr bench if you rest now.

chris mason
02-05-2013, 08:54 PM
What is the symptom?

Scott Weech
02-05-2013, 10:43 PM
I think you will be in pretty good shape by the meet. See this is what happens when you don't train with me jk. When are you doing your openers?

Invain
02-06-2013, 06:49 AM
Damn, sorry to hear that man, injuries always seem to happen at the worst time.

3 weeks is still plenty of time to get healed up. Don't count yourself out just yet.

Justin Randal
02-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Hammer the triceps, delts, and back Brian. 3 weeks isn't that long out. You may still be able to pull
Off a pr bench if you rest now.
He's absolutely right Brian! Add ice and deep tissue to the mix and i bet you'll be just fine!

Brian Hopper
02-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys for the comments!

@Scott and Justin-I'll still train my accessory work like normal leading up to the meet. But like you guys mentioned, I'll hit my delts and triceps pretty hard.

@Chris-Right now there are no symptoms, lol. I have full function, and no bruising. I can poke at it with no pain. Last night I was doing a pectoral push-in exercise and it didn't really hurt. But yesterday when it happened, I felt a sharp pain, but more like a deep painful stretch...make sense? I'm sure it's not serious, but I'm trying to prevent from getting serious.

@Weech-I know, but your schedule is a little weird like mine. We'll train together soon, hopefully you can keep up, lol. j/k!

@Invain-Your right, this definitely is a bad time, lol. I'm not counting myself out completely. I'm just going to go by feel and play it safe. I feel the pain on the way down, so if I feel anything not normal, I'll tell them to grab it.

joey54
02-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Bring your grip in for this comp just to be on the safe side? Could probably hit a decent number even with a close grip?

Travis Bell
02-07-2013, 06:27 AM
Brian to me it sounds like you have a shoulder issue that's causing it to tug on your pec when benching. Do you do any work with a lacrosse ball? Stretching? Both of those would really help. I've had the same issue you are describing and these fixed it.

Brian Hopper
02-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Bring your grip in for this comp just to be on the safe side? Could probably hit a decent number even with a close grip?
We'll see what happens, if I have to I will.

Brian to me it sounds like you have a shoulder issue that's causing it to tug on your pec when benching. Do you do any work with a lacrosse ball? Stretching? Both of those would really help. I've had the same issue you are describing and these fixed it.
I actually do. I hurt my shoulder a few months ago. It feels better now, but sometimes doing OHP's I'll feel it, and it's always wanting to pop in and out. No I don't, and I really need to. I'm going today to have my pec worked on, and I'll talk to him about my shoulder as well. Thanks Travis!

Cricket_Fire
02-09-2013, 10:10 AM
I don't have any suggestions, but I had the EXACT same thing happen a couple weeks ago (same kind of pain, 3 weeks out... same weight even, just less reps lol)

I iced and stretched very lightly. After a couple days I started doing ultra-light high rep pec dec without much ROM, just to pump a tonne of blood in there to hopefully help it heal (sets of 50-100 with the lightest weights possible, and only going back probably 3/4 of the way).

A week after I did some slow reps with 95 & 135 just to feel it out, and 2 days ago did 185; both times with no hint of pain/pulling.

I'm 1 week out now and it feels much better. Not sure if any of that helps, but it seemed to do me well so far.

UncleAl
02-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Hope you heal quickly, Brian.