PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifting without shoes

Invain
02-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Any of you guys prefer pulling without shoes on? I notice guys pulling in just their socks fairly often and I'm curious how much different it would feel.

DontTakeEmOff31
02-07-2013, 05:55 PM
I always pull without shoes, barefoot actually. I just don't feel solid in shoes, even with chuck taylors.

Brian Hopper
02-07-2013, 06:24 PM
I pull with DL slippers and love it. I've tried a couple times pulling with shoes on and it feels awkward. I use to pull in my chucks or a pair of wrestling shoes, but not anymore, lol. Just don't like it.

DontTakeEmOff31
02-07-2013, 07:50 PM
I pull with DL slippers and love it. I've tried a couple times pulling with shoes on and it feels awkward. I use to pull in my chucks or a pair of wrestling shoes, but not anymore, lol. Just don't like it.

What DL slippers are you using? Anything specific or is it just a pair of shoes that works for you? I've been looking for a solid shoe for competition (chuck taylors don't feel that solid for me).

Brian Hopper
02-07-2013, 07:59 PM
I have a pair of RDC, these are the closest you'll get to being barefoot, besides just pulling in your socks.

I could be wrong, but I always thought when you deadlift in a meet, you have to have some sort of a sole. You can't just go out there with your socks on.

I also have a pair from Titan. These have a pretty thin rubber sole.

Have you tried wearing a pair of wrestling shoes?

chris mason
02-07-2013, 08:04 PM
I pull in socks. That small differential in ROM helps me when at the limit.

DontTakeEmOff31
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
I have a pair of RDC, these are the closest you'll get to being barefoot, besides just pulling in your socks.

I could be wrong, but I always thought when you deadlift in a meet, you have to have some sort of a sole. You can't just go out there with your socks on.

I also have a pair from Titan. These have a pretty thin rubber sole.

Have you tried wearing a pair of wrestling shoes?

RPS lets you pull in socks but I felt a little slippery on the rugs they laid out, but that could have just been that meet. I've been looking into the Otomix Ultimate trainers, heard good things about them but not sure how they would be for powerlifting.

Don't want to hijack the thread Invain. I've never noticed a difference in the ROM, just the stability. But I'm also not at the level as many guys here.

Workhorse
02-08-2013, 08:00 AM
I use the DL slippers from Titan...really like them.

GazzyG
02-08-2013, 08:37 AM
I wear deadlifting slippers - I find how much lower it lets me get to the bar makes a big difference.

Invain
02-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys. Any of you know if I can wear only the knee high socks in an APF meet? The WPC rule book doesn't say anything about wearing shoes during deadlift, it just says you must have socks on. If not, I may order a pair of the Titan Slippers.

Brian Hopper
02-08-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm not 100% sure on that. You might want to get with the meet director and ask him. Like you said, you do have to wear some sort of shin protection, but not sure on footwear. If your looking for something very thin, then try the Ricky Dale Crain pair. The Titan ones are not as thin, but they have a rubber sole which will keep your feet planted.