PDA

View Full Version : lower body assistance

DontTakeEmOff31
02-21-2013, 05:08 AM
Was curious how everybody structures their lower body assistance work, I'm trying to learn more about it. For the longest time I would do Squat or Deadlift, then an iso-lateral leg exercise, hamstring exercise, then glutes.

How do you guys choose sets / reps? Thats my biggest problem with assistance. I tend to always want to go too heavy or set the bar too high and end up missing what I should be doing.

joey54
02-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Right now I do squats, deadlifts, and sumo stance good mornings. Abs the other two training sessions of the week.

theBarzeen
02-21-2013, 07:13 PM
A lot of my programming depends on how my body is holding up and how close to a meet I am.

If I'm healthy or just a ways out from a meet I'll do my heavy geared squat and pull on Saturday, then go back on Sunday and do lighter, high rep box squats ( raw), pause squats, deficit pulls, rack pulls, and GHR.

If I'm feeling slow or my hips are shot I'll sub in box jumps and/or prowler pushes and drags.

I should probably start doing some sort of calf work because they look teeny tiny.......

RhodeHouse
02-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Honestly, it's assistance work. It's really simple. 3-5 sets of 10. Go!

DontTakeEmOff31
02-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Honestly, it's assistance work. It's really simple. 3-5 sets of 10. Go!

That's the approach I've been taking lately.

A lot of my programming depends on how my body is holding up and how close to a meet I am.

If I'm healthy or just a ways out from a meet I'll do my heavy geared squat and pull on Saturday, then go back on Sunday and do lighter, high rep box squats ( raw), pause squats, deficit pulls, rack pulls, and GHR.

If I'm feeling slow or my hips are shot I'll sub in box jumps and/or prowler pushes and drags.

I should probably start doing some sort of calf work because they look teeny tiny.......

I do the same when I feel beat up, usually when my lower back is really sore I'll use drags or pushes.

ScottYard
02-27-2013, 06:08 PM
I have two days. My heavy days and my light ter days. I alternate the two. On my heavy days I do Squats, Dls and block pulls. Thats it. On my lighter days in between I only squat, I skip Dls and then I pick 2-3 asst lifts and do 3 sets of 8 each in ascending fashion.