PDA

View Full Version : RUM6 meet report

Brian Hopper
02-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Saturday
Meet Report

Raw Unity 6

Well, I don't really have much to report. It was a super fast meet and it all ended in under 4 hours. The turn out was no where near as big as the past. We only had 15 total lifters. All the equipment was top notch. A big shout out to West Cary Barbell, that guy makes some kick ass equipment. Now to the important stuff...:)

Squat
All my warm-ups felt good and I didn't feel any hip or quad pain. I finished with 575 as my last warm-up. My form felt spot on. I did feel some pain in my right knee after my second to last warm-up. Not sure from what, but i'm good now...I think. Here is how my attempts went...

1st attempt: 622-good lift
2nd attempt: 661-good lift
3rd attempt: 672-no good

My 3rd attempt felt great walking out and not heavy at all. So I thought it was going up, boy I was wrong, lol. I have alot of work to do, something is missing and i'm going to find it.

Bench
Same thing, my warm-ups felt good and fast. I finished my warm-ups at 345. My shoulder and pec felt fine. I wish I would of opened heavier but glad I didn't, check it out...

1st attempt: 391-good lift
2nd attempt: 418-no good...WTF!
3rd attempt: 418-good lift

I have no clue what happened on my second attempt, but it wasn't moving. I came back on my 3rd and smoked it! Same thing with my squat, something is missing and I have to work on this lift hard.

Deadlift
The same, warm-ups went smooth and easy. I pulled 605 as my last warm-up. Here are the attempts...

1st attempt: 672-good lift
2nd attempt: 722-good lift Meet PR!
3rd attempt: 733-no good

Last attempt just wasn't in me today.

Total
1801-Not a PR, but i'm still happy with it.

A big thanks to my wife and kids for their continued support. Thanks to Scott Weech and Scott Lamb for their help and support as well. Everyone here who supports me and pushes me, thank you!

Another big thanks to Chris Mason from AtLarge Nutrition and Ken Anderson from Anderson Powerlifting. Thanks guys!!!!

27 weeks out from my next meet, stay tuned!!!

Judas
02-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Nice showing considering the issues you've had to deal with. Not far off your best. You're a 242 i assume?

Very disappointed to hear about the small meet though. Thats my plan for next year, and the one meet i was deciding to focus on... but its gonna be hard to want to spend thousands ov dollars to do a big deal meet with only 15 lifters. Why was the turnout so small...???

Brian Hopper
02-24-2013, 07:03 AM
Thanks, yes I was 242. I have no idea why it was a small turnout. He said there was 30 competitors on Saturday. So I'm not sure what happened to the other 15, lol. You were thinking about doing RUM next year?

Brian Hopper
02-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Just to clear things up, there was 15 lifters between middleweights and heavyweights. Today, the lightweights and women compete. So I'm not sure how many lifters will be competing today. But, I did see alot of females weighing in, so they'll probably have more today.

ScottYard
02-24-2013, 09:56 AM
Nice work Brian. Congrats on the DL PR. Awesome squat too.

andhen2003
02-24-2013, 10:01 AM
congrats.

Brian Hopper
02-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Nice work Brian. Congrats on the DL PR. Awesome squat too.

congrats.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!!!

Tom Mutaffis
02-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Nice work and congratulations on the PR! 1,800+ RAW is nothing to be disappointed with, especially if it was a bit of an 'off' day.

Brian Hopper
02-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Nice work and congratulations on the PR! 1,800+ RAW is nothing to be disappointed with, especially if it was a bit of an 'off' day.

Thanks a lot Tom, I appreciate it!!!

Brian Hopper
02-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Just a few other highlights from the meet:

Scott Weech: 2166 @ SHW
Kade Weber: 2044 @ 242
Jeremy Hamilton: 1951 @ 220
Jay Nera: 1876 @ 220
Talon Wright: 1566 @ 198

Kade missed his 3rd attempt deadlift of 859lbs which would of beat Pacifico's total by 3lbs.

Paulo_Santos
02-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Great job. You guys are strong.

Ryan Celli
02-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Nice man! I seen some of your squats live...strong.

Sorry about the turn out. I know there were a few other raw meets, the record breakers one in Tampa a few weeks ago, and USPA American cup is now raw which was around the same time, now people are getting ready for the animal cage? hahaha

I think the other meets around the same time, coupled with the fact that many are afraid to get judged properly was the reason for low turn out? Many always drop out due to injury too.

Did they have cash awards this year?

Brian Hopper
02-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Great job. You guys are strong.

Haha, thanks!!!

Brian Hopper
02-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Nice man! I seen some of your squats live...strong.

Sorry about the turn out. I know there were a few other raw meets, the record breakers one in Tampa a few weeks ago, and USPA American cup is now raw which was around the same time, now people are getting ready for the animal cage? hahaha

I think the other meets around the same time, coupled with the fact that many are afraid to get judged properly was the reason for low turn out? Many always drop out due to injury too.

Did they have cash awards this year?

Thanks alot Ryan, I appreciate it!!!

Yeah, there was alot of meets scheduled around this one. They also have the USPA Florida State meet next weekend. Not to mention, Brian Schwab had his APF Florida State meet on the same day as day one of RUM, lol.

There was a cash prize and I believe the winners won $500 each. I'm not 100% sure on that one though.

The meet being small really didn't bother me. I was just happy and blessed to be able to share the same platform with some of the top raw powerlifters in the world. To me that was worth it and extremely motivational.

I did watch alittle bit of today's lifting and it looks like they had a decent turnout between the ladies and lightweight men's.

Judas
02-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Thanks, yes I was 242. I have no idea why it was a small turnout. He said there was 30 competitors on Saturday. So I'm not sure what happened to the other 15, lol. You were thinking about doing RUM next year?

The original plan was CPF Nationals in June then WPC Worlds in November, but i just like the idea ov RUM more. I realize you're not going to get a massive turnout with those qualifying totals, but its been a decent amount bigger in the past, yes? Feb 2014 vs Nov 2013 also gives me a bit more time to train too. I wish i had money to do both. Those are some goddamn fucking sick totals at 220/242... heh... i think i'd have an easier time at WPC worlds!

Buccos1
02-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Awesome numbers and congrats on the deadlift PR!

UncleAl
02-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Yea, between the RUM, Raw United's record breakers, Brian Schwab's APF meet, USPA next weekend, and even the senior games that pulled some of us geezers, there are just too many good meets to choose from in central Florida this time of year. That said, RUM gathered many of the best of the best. So, let's call it quality over quantity.

Awesome performance, Brian! You not only held your own, you again proved your ability to hang with the big boys. You've become a force to be dealt with, and it's only a matter of time before you are on top of the heap. Congrats on the PR.

Brian Hopper
02-25-2013, 06:12 PM
The original plan was CPF Nationals in June then WPC Worlds in November, but i just like the idea ov RUM more. I realize you're not going to get a massive turnout with those qualifying totals, but its been a decent amount bigger in the past, yes? Feb 2014 vs Nov 2013 also gives me a bit more time to train too. I wish i had money to do both. Those are some goddamn fucking sick totals at 220/242... heh... i think i'd have an easier time at WPC worlds!

I've thought about lifting in the APF/WPC again, but they don't allow any knee sleeves or wraps. Since my knee surgery, I'm afraid to squat that heavy without any sort of comfort around my knee. So, until they do (which I doubt they will) I'm sticking with the USPA and RAW United. Possibly the RPS since they are here in Florida now.

Brian Hopper
02-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Awesome numbers and congrats on the deadlift PR!

Thank you!!!

Brian Hopper
02-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Yea, between the RUM, Raw United's record breakers, Brian Schwab's APF meet, USPA next weekend, and even the senior games that pulled some of us geezers, there are just too many good meets to choose from in central Florida this time of year. That said, RUM gathered many of the best of the best. So, let's call it quality over quantity.

Awesome performance, Brian! You not only held your own, you again proved your ability to hang with the big boys. You've become a force to be dealt with, and it's only a matter of time before you are on top of the heap. Congrats on the PR.

They definitely had a good quality of lifters, I won't argue with that. Thanks alot for the kinds, I really appreciate it!!!!

MarcusWild
02-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Congrats on the deadlift PR. I'm sure you'll get the squat PR next meet.

Brian Hopper
02-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Congrats on the deadlift PR. I'm sure you'll get the squat PR next meet.

Thanks Marcus, I hope so!!! lol

chris mason
02-26-2013, 12:06 AM
Hey, that is still a good raw total. How do you currently train Brian?

Brian Hopper
02-26-2013, 02:22 AM
Hey, that is still a good raw total. How do you currently train Brian?

Thanks Chris, I appreciate it!!! I've been following the prilepins chart for awhile, which I got from Tone. For this meet I did a 7 week peaking cycle which considered alot of volume. Nothing to special. I've pretty much found what builds my deads, now I need to see what's going to build the other two.

Judas
02-28-2013, 07:24 AM
I've thought about lifting in the APF/WPC again, but they don't allow any knee sleeves or wraps. Since my knee surgery, I'm afraid to squat that heavy without any sort of comfort around my knee. So, until they do (which I doubt they will) I'm sticking with the USPA and RAW United. Possibly the RPS since they are here in Florida now.

Well dude, you are definitely spoiled for choice in Florida. I'd be a wreck if i lived there... i'd be competing constantly. Wow. Where i am it is the exact opposite... one fed, and utterly hamstrung by ugly politics.

For the knees... how about a really small (read: TIGHT) sleeve instead? I've had a Titan women's small around my 28" leg and it was pretty goddamn solid for a sleeve. I dont actually use sleeves, nor will i, but i couldn't resist trying them on when my girl got a pair. Pretty sure the WPC allows IPF legal sleeves, which is what i was talking about.

Kade Webber with 2044 @ 242... fuck me. I need to fatten up or lean out...

vdizenzo
02-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Nice lifting.

Brian Hopper
02-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Well dude, you are definitely spoiled for choice in Florida. I'd be a wreck if i lived there... i'd be competing constantly. Wow. Where i am it is the exact opposite... one fed, and utterly hamstrung by ugly politics.

For the knees... how about a really small (read: TIGHT) sleeve instead? I've had a Titan women's small around my 28" leg and it was pretty goddamn solid for a sleeve. I dont actually use sleeves, nor will i, but i couldn't resist trying them on when my girl got a pair. Pretty sure the WPC allows IPF legal sleeves, which is what i was talking about.

Kade Webber with 2044 @ 242... fuck me. I need to fatten up or lean out...

Yeah, if I wanted to, I could compete at least once a month, lol.

Brian Hopper
02-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Nice lifting.

Thanks Vin!!!