PDA

View Full Version : Rehab/Prehab Workouts

Travis Bell
03-09-2013, 07:14 PM
I know for myself I'm a huge fan of these. Short 30min workouts usually consisting of mobility movements, ultra high rep (30+ reps each set) movements to pump blood into connective tissues etc.

These are really handy in keeping your body going through workouts week in and week out.

I find I recover better and suffer less little nagging injuries throughout the training cycle.

Only problem I sometimes have is finding the time to get them in or that I neglect them until something does crop up lol.

What do you guys think of recovery type workouts? how do you utilize them and what do you do?

ScottYard
03-10-2013, 06:52 AM
One of my favorite rehab post bench workout days went like this.

Bench with curl bar 3 mins
Last pull down with 25 lbs 3 mins
Push downs with mini bands AMRAP in 1 minute

I used to do this every day after my heavy shirted days. I dont do this anymore as I do lots of soft tissue and mobibility crap and I dont get tore up like I did with a shirt on. I def thing they are uesfull.

KJDANEXT0
03-10-2013, 07:12 AM
Could anyone gimme a list some excercises for different parts of the shoulder and surrounding areas(bicep and pec tendon)

Murderous
03-10-2013, 11:11 PM
External shoulder rotations are good for the rotator cuffs, and so are tricep pushdowns for the elbows and triceps tendons.

RhodeHouse
03-11-2013, 05:00 AM
Not a fan of doing exercises for rehab/prehab. I guess I do them, but I prefer to doing extra conditioning, stretching and a very basic dynamic warm-up as my rehab/recovery. I try to stay off the weights so that when I do lift, I'm excited about it. If I "lift" too often I get very sick of it.

JK1
03-11-2013, 11:20 AM
I've been known to grab light (no more than 20 lb dumbells) and do curls or triceps extensions or laterals as I walk through the gym. The same with standing calf raises or GHR's or standing abs.... I never really keep track of what I do, I just move a little bit at a time I'm not training.

RhodeHouse
03-11-2013, 03:41 PM
I've been known to grab light (no more than 20 lb dumbells) and do curls or triceps extensions or laterals as I walk through the gym. The same with standing calf raises or GHR's or standing abs.... I never really keep track of what I do, I just move a little bit at a time I'm not training.

I "manufacture" reps that way, too.

chris mason
03-11-2013, 10:09 PM
One thing about such sessions that I see occurring with some frequency is that people do them with too great of an intensity of effort and the workouts which should aid their recovery actually end up compromising it.

Travis Bell
03-12-2013, 08:26 AM
One thing about such sessions that I see occurring with some frequency is that people do them with too great of an intensity of effort and the workouts which should aid their recovery actually end up compromising it.

This is key! These sessions should be quick, high paced and very light. you should not feel overly tired at the end of the workout.

Ligaments and tendons don't heal nearly as fast because they get very limited blood flow when not in use. So with these workouts, using ultra light weights, to create blood flow it'll greatly help with recovery.

DontTakeEmOff31
03-12-2013, 10:58 AM
I find that the small irritations I get from lifting will go away if I'm consistent with extra foam rolling and mashing at home, as soon as I stop this they tend to come back (mostly hip knots and arm knots). It's my goal to take a half hour each morning to address this.

ThomasG
03-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Sled work for lower body. Band pull aparts for shoulders. I'll also do high rep lateral leg raises with bands for the hip flexors.