PDA

View Full Version : Arching back in bench press

Soni
03-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Hi

I have seen a lot if big benchers that are able to pull their scapula back and rotate it down under them and hold that position. I have tried upping my lat work and do alot if face pulls but just can't seem to get that feeling of rolling onto traps and pulling scraps down. Any tips? As my bench sucks !

Thanks

Travis Bell
03-12-2013, 03:54 PM
bench with a PVC pipe underneath you. It takes time to develop that level of flexibility. Everyone's ability to arch is a little different. I'm not able to arch much, but enough that it makes me more stable on the bench and allows me to drive with my legs more.

ScottYard
03-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Add some upper back mobilit yinto your warm up. I lay on a roller and stretch my upper thoracic spine starting at mid back and working to to upper traps. While lying down on the floor with your roller on your mid back, Hold the back of your head with your chin tuck and just lean back. Slid up a hair and repeat. this this a few times and your be really loose back a nice arch.

Soni
03-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys. I will invest in a pipe and try some mobility work. For a 275lb guy my bench sucks , manage 369 lb press raw with pause got to try everything to push I up !!!