PDA

View Full Version : Squatting and deadlifting in the same day...

Brian Hopper
03-15-2013, 04:54 PM
For you guys who squat and pull in the same day, what do you do for accessory work? Do you have a separate accessory day on a 4 day split or do you train on a 3 day split with one lower body session?

ScottYard
03-16-2013, 11:23 AM
I like to alternate different workouts in a 4 week mini cycle

Week one and 3

Hard Squat
Hard DL
Block pull

Week 2

Hard squat
No pulls
Step ups
Ham assistance lift
Quad asisstance lift
Glute assistance

Week 4

Deload squat
No pulls
Step ups
Ham assistance lift
Quad asisstance lift
Glute assistance

I found if I try to all my heavy stuff and all my assistance work in one day I skimp or dont get in what I need. By purposefully splitting the two up I get in better work.

Brian Hopper
03-16-2013, 02:31 PM
So your deadlifting from the floor and doing block pulls every other week? Let me ask you something, when you were doing 5/3/1 how did you do it?

ScottYard
03-16-2013, 03:26 PM
My cycles have allot of 531 in them. Just not to a T and not very close to it either at times. I essentially use Week one as maybe like a 333 week and then week three is similar to a 531 week. This goes for the first mini cycle but then I add weight and things go more lienar progression mode. I usually pick a number on the block in the beginning of the cycle and start light and end heavy at the end of the cycle. I may block pull like 5 times in a meet cycle. I think this meet cycle I started at 650 and ended at 710 adding 10-15 each time.

If you want I can send you a word tamplate of how I do things.

xolix
03-16-2013, 04:01 PM
i did it for a long time with a lot success : squats 531 , deads 531 , good mornings 3 x 10-12 , abs , done .

the squats did not take much power from the deadlift , i went direct to the 3 worksets without warm ups . the recovery was very good ! if i was training for a deadlift-only-meet i changed the workout a bit : squats 531 (no extra reps !!) , deadlifts all out or with 351 + singles , deadlift assistance (deficitpulls or something like this ) , legpress 3 x 10-15 , abs .

Brian Hopper
03-16-2013, 06:06 PM
If you want I can send you a word tamplate of how I do things.

I sent you a PM!

Brian Hopper
03-16-2013, 06:10 PM
i did it for a long time with a lot success : squats 531 , deads 531 , good mornings 3 x 10-12 , abs , done .

the squats did not take much power from the deadlift , i went direct to the 3 worksets without warm ups . the recovery was very good ! if i was training for a deadlift-only-meet i changed the workout a bit : squats 531 (no extra reps !!) , deadlifts all out or with 351 + singles , deadlift assistance (deficitpulls or something like this ) , legpress 3 x 10-15 , abs .

That's what I started now, squats-pulls-GM's-abs-done! You don't do anything else? No hamstring work, KB swings, pull throughs or any other lower body work?

theBarzeen
03-16-2013, 08:15 PM
I've been on a 3 day training cycle for the last few years and it's been great for me.

Sat- squat and pull..... 3 week waves of light reps, med, and heavy.
Sun - accessory work, rack pulls, light deficit work, raw squats for reps, GHR, box jumps
Mon - Bench and upper body accessories.

Abs get hit on Sunday and then at home on Wed.

xolix
03-17-2013, 02:14 AM
That's what I started now, squats-pulls-GM's-abs-done! You don't do anything else? No hamstring work, KB swings, pull throughs or any other lower body work?

thats right , when i go all out on squats and deadlift , sometimes i did abs and was totally done ! good mornings = hamstrings . the mainmovements hit all the muscles you need for squat and deads.

Jonathan E
03-17-2013, 02:41 AM
I've been on a 3 day training cycle for the last few years and it's been great for me.

Sat- squat and pull..... 3 week waves of light reps, med, and heavy.
Sun - accessory work, rack pulls, light deficit work, raw squats for reps, GHR, box jumps
Mon - Bench and upper body accessories.

Abs get hit on Sunday and then at home on Wed.

I've never seen a template set up like this. How do you feel during the week? On Sunday, are you burned out from Squats and Deads?