PDA

View Full Version : Big Ragu's 5/3/1 Journal

big ragu
03-25-2013, 11:59 AM
3-25-13
I've never done one of these things so I figured maybe it'll help me hold myself accountable if it's out there on the web. Today I started the 531 program. My goals are to get stronger, plain and simple. I'm new to all of this, so if anyone happens to read this and see something I'm doing wrong, please comment. I'm not dieting, I'm just eating. I'm 6'4, 220lbs. So without further ado, I bring to you, day 1:
Bench Press:My 1RM is 315.
Couple warm up sets
185X5
210X5
240X8
Assistance:
Flys-50X15, 5 sets
Dips-Body WeightX50

Thoughts: Going into the workout I wondered how I'd feel afterward. Just didn't seem like a ton of work, so I figured it'd be easy and I'd walk out feeling like I didn't do enough. This was not the case. My chest was swollen when I was done, I felt like I had gotten a hell of a workout. I assume that's due to the high reps of assistance work. Even now, a couple hours later, I'm walking around work feeling like Jay Cutler (if you look at the amount of weight I lifted, you would no that I have no business feeling that way!). I'm looking forward to tomorrow and seeing how that goes.

big ragu
03-26-2013, 10:24 AM
3-26-13:Slept decent last night, was really tired throughout the night but couldn't fall asleep til about 11. I get up at 5am every day for work so I was a little light on sleep. Chest was a little sore from yesterday but overall I felt great. I hit the gym this morning around 10:45 for Military Press day. I kind of had to guess at my 1RM, as I never really went all out on this lift before. I guessed it somewhere around 160.
A few warm up sets
95X5
110X5
125X10
Assistance:
Shrugs-A few warm up sets, then 2 sets of 225X20. At this point everything was on fire!
Close Grip Bench-Couple warm ups, then 135X12. Again, everything burning

Thoughts: I am very happy with this program thus far. I leave the gym with a crazy pump, my shoulders and arms felt huge (they aren't). I'm surprised at how beat I am when I walk out, it doesn't seem like a ton of labor but I'm pretty wrecked. I like it. Looking forward to my next workout.

big ragu
03-27-2013, 10:56 AM
3-27-13
Slept real good last night, felt good all morning. Hit the gym at 11, and did deads. I've pulled 500 before, but it's been a while so I based my max on 450.
Several warm ups
265X5
300X5
345X7. I feel like I could have done more, but lost my grip at 5, reset, and only got 2 more.
Assistance:
Barbell Rows-3 sets of 135X15
Good Mornings-3 Sets of 95X15

Thoughts:I would have taken today off, but I can't get to the gym Fri so I needed to go today and tomorrow. 2 weeks ago I put on a bullshit belt they had in the gym to try to lift with. I have some kidney/lower back issues unrelated to lifting and I wanted to see if the belt helped. Well it did, but their belt was some velcro piece of shit that kept blowing open. I asked here and looked around and bought an Inzer lever belt. Today's the first time I used it, and I like it. What a quality piece. The only thing I would change is I would use socket head flat head screws instead of slotted. Again, I left the gym wrecked, I feel like I really accomplished something. Makes me think my last program was shit. I'm looking forward to squatting tomorrow in the new belt.

big ragu
03-28-2013, 11:31 AM
3-28-13
Woke up sore as hell. Every muscle in my back was sore. It was a good feeling though. I slept great, had about 8 hours sleep.
Squats:
Bunch of warm up sets
235x5
275x5
310x6
Assistance:
Preacher curls-5 sets of 15
Dumbbell bench press-5 sets of 15

Thoughts:
I have a torn meniscus in my right knee which makes squats almost unbearable. It doesn't seem to be the weight that bothers it so much, but the reps. I'll be having surgery to repair it soon (2nd time) so I'm hopeful that my squatting will improve. By rep 3 on the last set I was hurting, and at 6 it felt like there was a knife in it so I shut it down. I definite had more in the tank though. My body feels pretty beat up, I'm looking forward to the long weekend.

bald bull
03-28-2013, 02:48 PM
WHY DONT U BREAK UP UPPER BODY AND LEG DAYS. START W BENCH, SQUAT, MILITARY, PULL. IT WILL BE MORE REST THAT WAY FOR YOUR MUSCLES

big ragu
03-28-2013, 06:31 PM
I can do that. I appreciate the info! My whole body is feeling it right now

BULK_BOY
03-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Rest, If you keep this up at this rate your CNS will be fried by the sounds of it.

Solid numbers thou.......

big ragu
03-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Thank you. This is the first week of this kind of program for me, ideally I'd like to do a mon tues, thurs fri split. I knew I wasnt going to be able to train today so I did all 4 in a row. I should have been thinking about squats following deads but I wasn't, I'm glad it was pointed out. If at any point anyone sees me fuckin up, please point it out! And you're right, it took a serious toll on me already. I was pretty dead last night. The 3 days rest will certainly help.
Again, thanks for looking

big ragu
04-01-2013, 10:19 AM
4-1-13
The long weekend was great for recuperating. I woke up feeling great, body felt good, no pains, no soreness, etc. Thanks to some suggestions I'll be switching my my training days to Mon Tues, then Thurs Fri. I'll be breaking upper body up with lower. So anyway, today was bench, week two of the 531.
Bench:
5 Warm up sets
200X3
225X3
255X6
Flys:5 sets, 60X12
BW Dips-5 sets of 10

Thoughts:
Felt strong today. Everything felt good, the accessory work really set my chest on fire and beat me up. It was a great workout. I ordered some Creatine from ALN, I've never used it so I'm interested in seeing how I react to it. My bench is my weakest lift I feel, I'd love to see it improve. I'm certainly trying!

BULK_BOY
04-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Nice work mate. ;)

big ragu
04-02-2013, 05:27 AM
Thank you sir!

big ragu
04-02-2013, 10:12 AM
4-2-13
Kinda slept like shit. Went to bed early enough, but my fat ass pitbull thinks she's a lap dog and sleeps on the bed with me and my girl. Well she likes to lay right against you, and she moved all night long. I probably woke up 15 times in an 8 hour period. Still felt great when the alarm went off, just a little tired. I haven't had much ambition at work though, luckily it's a slow day and I'm leaving early for an ultra-sound (get to see my future kid). So today is squat day, my least favorite lifting day.....
Lots of warm up sets (gotta break in the knee)
255X3
290X3
330X4
Accessory:
Close grip bench-135X15X5 sets
Thoughts:
I didn't have a lot of time today, so I only did the close grip after squatting. I had plenty of strength, but my knee is just not doing well with this. I went down for a 5th rep, and my knee flat out refused. So I hung it up. I feel like if I had a properly working leg I'd be able to lift quite a bit more. I have been fighting with worker's comp to get it fixed, I got the call this morning saying that surgery is approved, looks like the 23rd I'll go back under the knife. I'm glad to have it fixed, but I don't know what that's going to mean for my lifting. I'm sure I can still bench, but I'll have to wait to see what restrictions I come out with. I'm kinda bummed, I just started this program and now I'll have to back off. Anyway, overall it was a good workout, quite a bit of pain in the knee and I feel like puking, but other than that it's great!

FearFactory
04-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Isn't benching so much fun when you're tall?

I wonder how much we'd bench if we were 5'8" instead. We have the same build/same 1rm. Screw trading that height in for a bigger bench though.

big ragu
04-03-2013, 08:48 AM
I completely agree, a bigger bench would be great but I have no interest in losing my height! I'll be stoked to get to 350, I don't even know if that's going to happen. We gotta push the damn bar so far!

FearFactory
04-03-2013, 11:28 AM
I completely agree, a bigger bench would be great but I have no interest in losing my height! I'll be stoked to get to 350, I don't even know if that's going to happen. We gotta push the damn bar so far!

I firmly believe 405 is in the grasp of every average, healthy human being. It might take us 10-15 lbs/year but if you stick to it you can eventually get there without having to become 300 lbs.

big ragu
04-03-2013, 01:52 PM
I firmly believe 405 is in the grasp of every average, healthy human being. It might take us 10-15 lbs/year but if you stick to it you can eventually get there without having to become 300 lbs.

I do hope you're right. I'd really be happy to push 350 by the end of this year, and I feel that since I haven't ever trained to specifically get stronger I should be able to achieve that. And if I do, 405 will be next on the radar. I've been 300lbs, and I wasn't half as strong as I am now!

big ragu
04-04-2013, 01:16 PM
4-4-13
I have to get a smaller dog. 2am and she's up and ready to play. 2:30am and I'm out walking this moose for about 45 mins. I gotta buy a house and sell the condo so I can have a yard to send her out to. When I got back up at 5 for work I felt pretty good. The first half hour at work went fine, then all hell broke loose. At 11 I said fuck all this and bounced to the gym. I needed that workout, the people I work with were really making me wish it was legal to punch people in the face. Here's what went down:
Military Press:
Hit a bunch of light warm ups
100X3
115X3
130X11
Accessory:
Shrugs:225X15X5-Shoulders completely fried
Incline Bench Press:135X15X5
Thoughts:
I hit the gym completely irritated with work. I couldn't wait to workout, and I enjoyed every second of it. I hated to leave and go back to the bullshit. I'm thinking I under-guessed at my 1RM, as I hit 11 on my third set. Overall it was a great workout, and I can't wait to deadlift tomorrow.

big ragu
04-05-2013, 10:19 AM
4-5-13
Ah....Friday. Couldn't sleep too well, but woke up feeling great. My "eat whatever the hell I want" mentality is starting to catch up with me. I feel like I'm 300lbs. I'm not, I still weight 220, just feel fat. I couldn't wait to hit the gym, so I went a little earlier, around 9.
Deadlift:
Warm ups
285X3
325X3
365X7
Accessory:
Barbell Rows-135X15X5 sets
Standing straight bar curls-65X15X5
Thoughts:
I needed a good workout to take me into the weekend, and this one did not disappoint. That last set of deads felt like some crazy cardio session, my chest was burning, I was completely out of breath. Felt awesome! I gotta say I love my new inzer belt, my back has felt amazing since I started using it, and I also started wrapping my wrists which also helps. I usually deadlift bare foot, but today I wore my Chucks. I don't know if it was any difference or not, but it wasn't worse. Also, I got home from work yesterday to a package from ALN. Some BCAA and creatine. Both are new to me so I'm interested in seeing if I feel any different. I'm not sure how next week will go, I have to be in VA for the week for work, but I'm going to try to find a gym. If anyone knows of anything in the Atkins/Wytheville VA area, please let me know! I must say I feel much better this week than I did last. The break on Wed and splitting my upper days with lower seems to have really helped.

big ragu
04-13-2013, 07:40 AM
This whole week was a wash. Was in VA working all week, the only gym I found was a community center. I waited over an hour to use the one bench they had, said fuck this and bounced. I'll resume Monday

big ragu
04-15-2013, 12:34 PM
4-15-13
Back at it today. Last week sucked balls, being out of town sucks. I was anxious to get back in the gym, luckily work pissed me off enough to really motivate me.
Bench:
Warm ups
215X5
240X3
270X5
Accessory:
Flys-60X15X5
Close Grip Bench-135X15X5
Jogged a mile
Thoughts:
I went under the bench shooting for 5, and that's what I got. Maybe if I told myself more, I'd have gotten more but who knows. Everything felt great, but I have been feeling like a slob lately. I need to start thinking about the diet more, and start doing some cardio. I don't like the amount of fat I've accumulated and I need to start cutting back on the garbage meals. I haven't felt very athletic. Anyway, tomorrow is squats and that shall be fun.

Chubrock
04-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Not bad Ragu. Not bad. I've found the easiest way to keep diet in check is to allow 3 cheat meals during the week. You have a pretty good idea of when you and yours like to go out to eat, or go and do whatever. Save those meals for those times. It gives you something a bit more concrete to work towards.

big ragu
04-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Not bad Ragu. Not bad. I've found the easiest way to keep diet in check is to allow 3 cheat meals during the week. You have a pretty good idea of when you and yours like to go out to eat, or go and do whatever. Save those meals for those times. It gives you something a bit more concrete to work towards.

Thank you. Seems like pretty sound advice. I don't want to get full on into a diet, but definitely need to scale back my shit intake.

So I woke up this morning thinking about squatting. Looks like my mind was right, too bad my body didn't want to cooperate. Here's how today went down:
Squats:
Warm ups
275X5
310X3
345X2
Accessory:
BW Pullups-5X5
Seated overhead dumbell press-50X15X5
Jogged a 10 min mile
Thoughts:
My knee has really been giving up on me. The pain and locking are starting to become a real problem, luckily next Tues I have surgery. I was hoping for a better workout, hoping for like 5 reps or so but it just wasn't happening. I did do a little running and even that was pretty damn painful. Tomorrow is an off day, I may throw a little cardio session together. I don't know what the outcome of surgery next week will be, I know my benching and pressing should be relatively unaffected, but the squat/deadlift are going to probably take some steps backwards. Wait and see I guess......

big ragu
04-18-2013, 11:31 AM
4-18-13
Ah, the day back in the gym after a rest day. Again I woke up thinking about lifting, I kind of like that. Although it does concern me a little that my chick is laying next to me naked and I wake up thinking about moving weights. I'll have to work on that....
Anyway, the day started great, woke up feeling great, and still going that way. Work hasn't been bad, it got to be about 10am and I hit the gym.
Standing Press:
Several warm up sets
110X5
120X3
135X12
Accessory:
Barbell Shrugs-225X15X5
Incline Bench-135X15X5
Ripped off 1 10 min mile
Thoughts:
Everything went well. I use a 5,3,1 program on my phone that tells me what weight I should be lifting and how many times, etc. It tells you reps to beat and I think it said 10 or 11 on the last set. I'm wondering if I ignored that damn thing and mentally tell myself to do as many as physically possible if I wouldn't squeak out another rep or so. Who knows, I was happy with 12. I still think I underestimated on my original 1RM, but that's cool. Ran a mile easily, just a lot of pain in my knee. I must say I'm quite envious when I read others logs and see such huge numbers being moved, but you gotta start somewhere, right? I'm happy.

Side note, I must be the only moron who decides that summer time would be a good time to get fat.....225 this morning

Stumprrp
04-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Dont feel bad, my weight is also going up haha. Nice OH presses.

big ragu
04-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Lol thanks. I was just reading someone's log on here that talks about carb backloading. This is something new that I need to read about, seems like it may be perfect for me!

Stumprrp
04-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Its good stuff. Very controversal around here but no one has the credentials of Kiefer so i just blow that off. I lost about 25 pounds doing CBL with no muscle loss and VERY little strength loss. My bench actually went up.

Theres two crowds with this shit. The calorie is a calorie just go on a deficit crowd, and the marco manipulation crowd. But lets be honest, deficit and calorie counting blows, so lets just eat bacon and eggs and get jacked.

big ragu
04-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Well I've been as heavy as 300 in past years and weak as fuck. I decided that wasn't working for me and that's when I discovered weight lifting, running and dieting. Through dumb luck I got down to 220. Then bounced around back and forth. I've done keto diets and got pretty lean, carb cycling, etc. the problem I've always ran into is when I'd get lean I'd get weak. The heavier I get, the stronger. But stronger and heavier includes fatter. My bf% seems pretty high right now. This back loading thing might be the ticket I've been looking for. I love proteins and fats, and I still get to eat the carbs I love!

I'm gonna research it out and give it a go at some point. Thanks a lot for your input!

big ragu
04-19-2013, 09:29 AM
4-19-13
I love Friday. Gotta be the best day of the week. Woke up really tired today, shoulders were sore. Felt good though, around 10am I hit the gym.
Deadlift:
Warm ups
305X5
345X3
385X4
Accessory:
Barbell rows-135X15X5
Preacher Curl-55X20X5
Thoughts:
Interesting workout. I walked in the gym in pain, my knee is giving me fits. It's cracking and making all sorts of noise, swollen, and just plain hurts. I was thinking I'd get more reps on my 385, but 4 was it. I was wrecked. When I walked in there was a guy working out that I hadn't seen before. He was in all sorts of gear, and I didn't pay a ton of attention to him. So anyway, I just finished deadlifting, when I realize he's also deadlifting. I look over, he's got 4 plates per side and putting them up with ease. Hmmm.....now 5 plates, easy. Now 6 plates, for 3 reps. Seriously? Now I'm REALLY feeling like a little bitch. I said to him "Impressive lifts man!". His reply? "Nice artwork". Damn, as if I didn't feel like a bitch already, all he had nice to say is I have nice tattoos! Anyway, started talking to him, his first comp was when he was 14! He's 41 now, and definitely strong as shit. I was stoked to find an actual powerlifter in my gym, until he said he's only in NY to commentate a logging competition. He's from WV. Figures. So there's still nobody here to learn from but talking to dude definitely motivated me.

big ragu
04-22-2013, 10:26 AM
4-22-13
Had a good weekend, just in quite a bit of pain knee wise. Woke up feeling great, decided to squat today since I'm gonna have the knee fixed tomorrow. This is technically week 4 of the 5/3/1 so it looks like the weights are pretty light.
Squats:
Plenty of warm ups
145X5
180X5
220X5
Accessory:
Hammer Curls-30X15X5
Seated overhead press-95X15X5
Pullups-BWX5X5
Thoughts:
The knee is buggin the fuck out of me. Walking sucks, lifting sucks, it all sucks. 7am tomorrow they're fixing it. I have no idea what that'll mean to my lifting, how light I'll have to go and for how long. Just gonna play it by ear I guess.

Judas
04-23-2013, 03:40 AM
Okay, its a bit late for this, but why not TEST your maxes for a program instead ov guessing? A lot ov evil can come from guessing at this crucial point... Guess too heavy and it could be overtraining city. Guess like a hero and it could be injury city. Guess too light and nothing happens. Its way too easy to just go into the gym on a fresh day, on a fresh week, and rip off a little 'mini competition'... squat to a max, then bench to a max, then deadlift to a max. You should have energy left to do a press max too. I do this to EVERY new client i get, and i dont care if they've lifted a barbell before. If they can demonstrate good enough form, they're showing me EXACTLY what they can do within the first 2 weeks. THEN i have the data i need to design a proper program.

For finding a max to plug into a program, you dont even have to go to all-out max on the lifts. IF you know yourself, you can pull say, 405 and guess with some authority that you could get 440 if you went all-out. Thats what i usually do with clients... i need only get close to their max and can always figure their max. You might actually have to do them, but either way can work.

And dont let anyone tell you that this program is too much on the CNS. Lifters from other continents laugh at our 'less is more' mentality and work ethic when it comes to barbell work... The human body can get used to ANYTHING... If you start on a light program you'll get used to that and it will remain your yardstick. If you start training like a weightlifter under a sadistic coach you'll get used to that just as easy... Perspective is everything.

big ragu
04-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Judas, first let me say I appreciate you taking the time to look at my log. I've been following yours and I'm amazed at both your workload and the amount of weight that you move. It's a straight up inspiration.

I only guessed at one lift, and I don't really know why I did that. I've just never maxed on the overhead press and I guess I should have. I also know that I could have guessed much better given the fact that my seated overhead dumbbell press is over 200, it stands to reason that my standing barbell press would be something similar.

With all that said, help a brother out! Talk to me, tell me what you would change, tell me what I'm doing right, if anything, what I'm doing wrong, etc. I'm new to this man, I will take real critisicm and put it to work. I have goals shooting for and I'd like all the help I can get to achieve them. I've got no problem stepping up the workload if that'll help. Don't leave me hangin bro, point me in the path of gnarlyness!!!!

Side note, currently laying on the couch with my knee all wrapped up. Surgery went well, I have no idea how to proceed in regards to lifting. If anyone has some input, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Judas
04-24-2013, 03:52 AM
Judas, first let me say I appreciate you taking the time to look at my log. I've been following yours and I'm amazed at both your workload and the amount of weight that you move. It's a straight up inspiration.

I only guessed at one lift, and I don't really know why I did that. I've just never maxed on the overhead press and I guess I should have. I also know that I could have guessed much better given the fact that my seated overhead dumbbell press is over 200, it stands to reason that my standing barbell press would be something similar.

To me a military press is but ONE thing... standing full ROM from chest to lock, with a barbell. Honestly i dont know why anyone but bodybuilders do any other style. Standing barbell press is one ov the original manly lifts, and it is a daily-life-useful lift... unlike everyone's favorite... bench.

Also, a word on bench. Long arms are not the great evil for bench most think. Sure, a leverage disadvantage, but not insurmountable (plus... i'd rather have a shit bench than a shit deadlift). I have very long arms, i was told by numerous vets and experts i'd maybe get to 315 someday, but probably never 405. Took me exactly 5 years (to the day) to get from my day-1 195lbs to 405, and six to get from a strict 175lbs to 452lbs. I just had to change the way i bench, the way i set up, and REALLY become a technician, basically, growing into better levers (add chest) and shrinking the ROM (killer set-up).

With all that said, help a brother out! Talk to me, tell me what you would change, tell me what I'm doing right, if anything, what I'm doing wrong, etc. I'm new to this man, I will take real critisicm and put it to work. I have goals shooting for and I'd like all the help I can get to achieve them. I've got no problem stepping up the workload if that'll help. Don't leave me hangin bro, point me in the path of gnarlyness!!!!

I cant really comment on 5/3/1 as i know many people doing good things on it. But to ME... it just doesn't seem like much work at all. I'd be bored outta my tree doing that program, but then i'm a junkie workaholic. I eat Russian programs for breakfast. I dont know anything about that program.

I will say this though, maybe it applies. I've never 'just' benched. From day one i've powerbuilded... and if i had to be utterly honest, much ov the time more bodybuilding than powerlifting. For the leverage-disadvantaged like me, i had to build up my levers, and basically ad a LOT ov size to get my bench up. I started with a 195 bench at 180, hit 275 at 198 (8 months), 385 at 220 (about 4 years - 22 more pounds ov LBM helps!), 415 at 231 (5 years), and finally 465 at 242 six years later. Had i stayed at 198 i'd be benching WAY less than i am now, even 220 was limiting it seems. Chest, delts, upper back, arms... it all helps. Mass moves weight. What i tell people is that you are either a bench-freak and are pushing double-bodyweight in high school, or like the rest ov us you aren't and have to bloody work for it.

The point is, if the program has you bench, and maybe press, then you need to add assistance. Press and bench can easily be done on the same day PLUS assistance, though again, i dont know if this would mess with the program.

Side note, currently laying on the couch with my knee all wrapped up. Surgery went well, I have no idea how to proceed in regards to lifting. If anyone has some input, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Your doc should be the first person to ask. He'll know how long to stay off it. Just dont be an idiot and come back hard before its ready. The ONLY thing worse than a crippling injury is re-injuring yourself worse by coming back hard too soon.

big ragu
04-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Again man, thanks for the input. I'm looking for motivation wherever I can find it. I'm new to lifting for strength. It's always been about trying to lose fat, get in shape, etc. And I haven't been at it long. I'm gonna be 36 soon, I don't have 20 years of lifting under my belt. I've been at it for a couple years, and this is the first powerlifting program I've done. I asked what others opinion was as to what I should do, and the 5,3,1 is the only one that was brought up. I'm sure westside is a great program, bit I think it's more advanced for me right now.

I don't have a coach, a trainer, or anyone to even lift with. I go to a small gym that has a nice selection of equipment but no members that are into it for powerlifting purposes. Like I said in an earlier post I met a guy from out of state that was heavy into it and was very disappointed to find he was just visiting. I could only imagine what I can learn from him. I have to rely on forums like this, it's really all I have. If you have anything that can help, I'm more than happy to learn. The couple weeks I've been at this program has been the most fun I've had so far since I've started exercising. I can only imagine how great it must be to pull 700lbs, or squat 700. Hell, I will be elated to bench 350!!! And I will. I know that's not some huge number to most of you, but it's my goal right now.

Tomorrow I'm heading back to the gym for bench day. I'm sure I can still bench and press, depending on how I feel I may or may not deadlift on Saturday. It'll be very light weight I'm sure.

Judas
04-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Again man, thanks for the input. I'm looking for motivation wherever I can find it. I'm new to lifting for strength. It's always been about trying to lose fat, get in shape, etc. And I haven't been at it long. I'm gonna be 36 soon, I don't have 20 years of lifting under my belt. I've been at it for a couple years, and this is the first powerlifting program I've done. I asked what others opinion was as to what I should do, and the 5,3,1 is the only one that was brought up. I'm sure westside is a great program, bit I think it's more advanced for me right now.

I'll get torn a new asshole for saying this here, but i definitely would not recommend WSB for powerlifting or powerbuilding. There are many good programs out there. You've chosen 5/3/1, which is by all accounts a good one, so stick with it for a while. Thats a big lesson most starting, or even intermediate strength trainers need to learn... pick something and stick with it. Long enough to see if it works anyways.

I don't have a coach, a trainer, or anyone to even lift with. I go to a small gym that has a nice selection of equipment but no members that are into it for powerlifting purposes. Like I said in an earlier post I met a guy from out of state that was heavy into it and was very disappointed to find he was just visiting. I could only imagine what I can learn from him. I have to rely on forums like this, it's really all I have. If you have anything that can help, I'm more than happy to learn. The couple weeks I've been at this program has been the most fun I've had so far since I've started exercising. I can only imagine how great it must be to pull 700lbs, or squat 700. Hell, I will be elated to bench 350!!! And I will. I know that's not some huge number to most of you, but it's my goal right now.

Tomorrow I'm heading back to the gym for bench day. I'm sure I can still bench and press, depending on how I feel I may or may not deadlift on Saturday. It'll be very light weight I'm sure.

I had a good trainer for my first 3 months... then i've been on my own ever since. I've learned more off ov forums than anywhere else... though my bullshit-filter is top-notch and set on 'kill'. Dont feel bad about training partners either. I'm one ov those guys that thrive off ov competition, and i've been alone in the gym since day two. I've had lots ov guys to train with, and train, but never anyone near my level. I hate that.

big ragu
04-25-2013, 04:18 AM
I'll get torn a new asshole for saying this here, but i definitely would not recommend WSB for powerlifting or powerbuilding. There are many good programs out there. You've chosen 5/3/1, which is by all accounts a good one, so stick with it for a while. Thats a big lesson most starting, or even intermediate strength trainers need to learn... pick something and stick with it. Long enough to see if it works anyways.
I've chosen to give it 6 months. The downside to that is I'm now finishing up my 4th week, and I'm set back with this surgery. My bench and military will continue as planned, squat and deads will now fall far behind. I want a 500lb squat, I want a bigger dead, but who knows where I'll be at the end of the 6 months.

I had a good trainer for my first 3 months... then i've been on my own ever since. I've learned more off ov forums than anywhere else... though my bullshit-filter is top-notch and set on 'kill'. Dont feel bad about training partners either. I'm one ov those guys that thrive off ov competition, and i've been alone in the gym since day two. I've had lots ov guys to train with, and train, but never anyone near my level. I hate that.

That's what I like, the competition. I like the push that working with others gives. I did a bullshit bench comp at my gym (trust me, it's not anything close to what anyone on this site is doing as far as competitions go), and I really liked laying on the bench with a bunch of people standing around cheering you on. If I can improve my lifts substantially, I'll maybe do a comp. But not until I'm comfortable with what I can move. Just to give you an idea of what kind of people are at my gym, it's rare that I see people lifting as much as I do, and you can see from my log that I don't move much. So to be able to learn from anyone there is out of the question.

big ragu
04-25-2013, 10:36 AM
4-25-13
Went to work today, took one day off from surgery. My doctor would be pissed if he knew I was working, but frankly I'm not getting paid to sit at home and with a baby on the way that just won't do. I feel ok, the vicodin is making me kinda sick but whatever. Went in early since I am now a couple days behind, and I thought I'd be able to spend a good portion of my day at my desk. That has NOT been the case. I went to the gym and benched, according to the program this week is light. So here it is:
Bench Press:
Plenty of warm ups
115X5
140X5
170X25
Accessory:
Flys-60X15X5
Close Grip Bench-135X15X5
Thoughts:
So I guess I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to keep the last set of bench at 5 reps, or go all out like the other 3 weeks. I chose to go all out and got 25 reps. Felt really good, hit the flys which finished setting my chest on fire. I left the gym feeling like Arnold, only with a pimp limp. The knee is feeling ok, I want to see how the rest of the week goes and I may start some light squats next week. I'd also like to get on the treadmill and do some jogging. Gonna play it by ear for now, if it feels good I'll go for it.

big ragu
04-29-2013, 04:01 AM
4-26-13
Military Press:
Warm ups
60X5
70X5
80X25
Accessory:
Shrugs-225X15X5
Incline Bench-135X15X5
Pull up-BWX5X5
Thoughts:
Fri the knee was feeling OK, not great. The workout went well, felt great afterwards. I missed back this week but that's ok. I woke up Saturday completely drained, I probably shouldn't have pushed so hard with work and whatever right after surgery but I rested most of Sunday. Feeling pretty good today, we'll see how today's workout goes. 5-3-1 month number 2 starts today!

GazzyG
04-29-2013, 04:54 AM
Hey bud, good luck with the 5/3/1.

On the final all-out set, when I was doing it I was told to keep a coupla reps in the tank, ie when you think you'll fail in the next one or two reps, end it there.

That said, if you're getting 25 reps, I'd say you've picked a max that's a bit low for you, haha!

big ragu
04-29-2013, 05:23 AM
Hey bud, good luck with the 5/3/1.

On the final all-out set, when I was doing it I was told to keep a coupla reps in the tank, ie when you think you'll fail in the next one or two reps, end it there.

That said, if you're getting 25 reps, I'd say you've picked a max that's a bit low for you, haha!

Lol! I'm using a program on my iphone that figures the weights out for me. On week four, it's a deload week, at 60% of your max. Where I did fuck up, however, is on week 4 I wasn't supposed to go for max reps. I was supposed to stick to 5 reps, not 25. I should have looked through the book and read that first but I neglected to. Last week was week 4, so that's why the weight is low, and the reps are high.

GazzyG
04-29-2013, 05:51 AM
Aha! Well... that would explain that then!

big ragu
04-29-2013, 12:42 PM
4-29-13
Ah....Monday. Fuck Mondays. I hate em. Had to be up early for a job I had to do, slept pretty good. Felt good when I got up, knee was feeling decent. Hit the gym around 10am
Bench Press
Plenty of warm ups
185X5
215X5
245X10
Accessory:
Flys-60X15X3
Tricep pushdown-100X15X3
Not a ton of time today, however it was a good workout. I was very happy to get 10 reps at 245. I had a grip issue, my hands were sliding on the bar but I got through it. Chest feels really good, triceps got a good burn. Tomorrow is supposed to be squat day, and I feel good enough today to attempt it. There won't be a lot of reps, and if there's any problems I'll shut it down, but I'm gonna attempt it.

big ragu
04-30-2013, 11:30 AM
4-30-13
Went to sleep REALLY late last night. My girlfriend was pretty miserable (she's pregnant) all night and kept me up. She's doing all the hard work, the least I can do is be supportive and try to make her life a little easier. On top of that my dog decided that she was going to sleep ON me which was pretty damn uncomfortable. All together I probably seen 4 hours sleep, about half of what I normally get. I bought a big ass redbull on my way in and I'll probably buy another one on my way out. Pretty stoked, today we have an ultrasound, get to see the kid. I guess it's 3d? I don't know, this is my first and last kid so it's all new to me. Anyway, I chose to squat today.
Squats:
Lots of warm ups
245X5
280X5
315X5
Accessory:
Close grip bench-135X15X5
Hammer Curls-25X20X5
Thoughts:
Ok, in theory squatting was not a good idea. I certainly wasn't supposed to, but it was highly successful. There was very little pain, last week was much worse. I hit 5, could have done far more but I thought it'd be better to be safe. I'm very happy with how it went, maybe I'll pay for it tomorrow. Who knows. All in all, a great workout.

big ragu
05-02-2013, 12:35 PM
5-02-13
Been kinda fucked up since Tues afternoon. I'm allergic to latex, and I had a reaction tuesday night. Sends me in anaphylactic shock. I don't have a pen to stab myself with so I had to suffer all night. I still don't feel right but whatever. My knee was ok yesterday and it's pretty good today. Sore, swollen, and it's fuckin up the stitches but the pain is minimal.
Press:
Warm ups
95X5
110X5
125X17
Accessory:Shrugs-225X15X3
Bench Press-135X20X3
Thoughts:
Ok so I think I've been limiting myself by thinking about the last set too much. I went into today hoping to get 20, that seemed like a ridiculous number and yet I still managed 17. I think if I stopped and took a breather I could have squeezed one or two more out but I'm happy with 17. I feel good, just didn't have much time today. Tomorrow's deadlift day, one of my favorites. We'll see how the knee puts up with it.

Judas
05-03-2013, 04:30 AM
5-02-13
Benn kinda fucked up since Tues afternoon. I'm allergic to latex, and I had a reaction tuesday night. Sends me in anaphylactic shock. I don't have a pen to stab myself with so I had to suffer all night. I still don't feel right but whatever. My knee was ok yesterday and it's pretty good today. Sore, swollen, and it's fuckin up the stitches but the pain is minimal.

Nothing wrong with kinky sex... but dont let it mess with your training.

big ragu
05-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Nothing wrong with kinky sex... but dont let it mess with your training.

HA! Yeah, I tend to forget that I have that allergy. Gets worse every fuckin time too......

5-03-13
Woke up feeling pretty normal finally. All morning I've felt great, other than the fact that I spent 3 hours bent over in one position repairing a machine. Took a toll on my back which sucks since it's deads day.
Deadlifts:
Warm ups........................
270X5
310X5
350X10
That's it.....
Nothing about this workout went well. I left the gym disgusted. My back is all sorts of screwed up from this mornings breakdown, and it showed in my lifting. To top it off, I didn't wrap my knee, and now I have some serious pain. Something keeps shifting and it is really buggin me. Luckily it's the weekend. I know I've really pushed it too hard this week, with working, squatting and now deadlifting, but it's pissin me off. I just don't do well with injuries. Stupid, I know. I'm just irritated now. I did step on a scale this morning, no idea why, but I weighed 228. I feel 300 though.

big ragu
05-06-2013, 12:39 PM
5-6-13
No time today to do shit, got in the gym for 30 mins and only was able to bench.
Bench:
Warm Ups
200X3
230X3
260X8
Thoughts:
Today blows, last 2 workouts have been shit. Just didn't have time today, and that's quite disappointing.

big ragu
05-07-2013, 01:37 PM
5-7-13
Squat day. My knees been feeling ok, there's some weird popping going on that hurts like hell. I seen the doc earlier, he said if there's still an issue he will give me a lubrication injection? Weird. Anyway, he says no squatting for another 2 weeks, but I did it last week so I promptly left the docs and hit the gym.
Squats:
260X3
300X3
335X3
Accessory:
Flys-60X15X5
That was it. With the appointment I didn't have a lot of time. The knee still felt fine and 335 was not bad. I had more in me but stopped at 3.

big ragu
05-09-2013, 10:19 AM
5-9-13
Press:
Warm Ups
105X3
120X3
135X16
Accessory:
Shrugs-225X15X5
Upright Rows-70X12X5
Thoughts:
This was a much better work out. Everything felt good and I had plenty of time. The knee is feeling better everyday so I'm happy about that. Starting next week I'm cleaning the diet up, getting too fat. I can hardly stand it.

big ragu
05-10-2013, 11:33 AM
5-10-13
Deads:
Warm Ups
290X3
330X3
375X10
Bent Barbell Rows-135X12X5
Thoughts:
Awesome workout. I was stoked that my knee didn't give me any issues, extra stoked when I ripped a callus off, and even more stoked to pull 375 10 times! I had to regrip every two pulls but my grip strength isn't that great. Overall I was happy. I also recently learned why ever since surgery I have been miserable as fuck and sick. I had an infection in my knee. That much I already knew. What I didn't know was how it was effecting me. Now that it's healing I feel awesome again. Now I gotta do something about this extra 20lbs, and keep my strength up, and life will be great.

GazzyG
05-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Workouts all seem to be on point - even when you're not feeling 100%, you're getting in and getting the main lift done!

Great work on all the big sets - 10x375 is no joke at all!!

big ragu
05-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks dude! I really appreciate it!

big ragu
05-13-2013, 10:24 AM
5-13-13
Bench:
Warm Ups
215X5
245X5
275X5
Accessory-More Bench!135X15X5
Run 1 mile
Thoughts. I wanted more than 5, but it's all I had. Not sure how I feel about it, but better 5 than none! I super-setted the accessory benches with running, 1 set, then run a quarter mile, etc. Felt good, the knee held up just fine. All in all pretty happy. I started a Keto style diet today, and so far so good. I am trying to keep the energy and strength up, hopefully I get it right. I really need to shed 20lbs.

big ragu
05-14-2013, 10:44 AM
5-14-13
Squats:
Warm ups
280X5
315X3
355X2
Accessory:
Preacher Barbell Curls-65X20X5
Ran a mile
Day 2 of the Keto, and squatted. I feel great so far. I have the fats up as was suggested and I have had some post workout simple carbs. I had plenty of energy yesterday and today so far. I know it's early in the diet, but so far I'm happy. I'm not going to turn the cardio up much more, I really just don't have the time. Anyway, I planned to only do one rep at 355 as I'm still trying to be somewhat decent to my knee, but it felt good. The one draw back is I'm not going full depth. I get almost parallel but not quite. I don't know if at my height I should be anyway. I go as deep as I can, and fuck it the dude next me had 225 on the bar and barely bent his knees. As long as I got someone beat I'm ok.

big ragu
05-16-2013, 11:09 AM
5-16-13
Press:
Warm Ups
110X5
125X3
140X15
Shrugs-225X15X5
Ran a mile
Thoughts:
Stepped on the scale, 225. That's a 5lb loss since Monday. I feel pretty good, seemed to have plenty of energy and strength wasn't bad. I'm wondering what it would be like to run the Keto every other week. I may experiment with it for a month and see how that goes.

big ragu
05-20-2013, 04:58 AM
5-17-13
Deadlift
Warm Ups
310X5
350X5
395X1??
Barbell Rows-135X15X5
Ran 1 mile
Thoughts:
I fuckin sabotaged this workout without even realizing it. So Fri was a "no work" day at work. Basically, it was a 4 hour meeting, followed by 4 hours of seminars after lunch. Normally I break away from work around 10am and lift. I generally don't eat much before this, usually a light breakfast, a snack around 8, then lift. Well Fri I wasn't able to lift until after work. To top that off, my girlfriend met me for lunch and we went to a diner across the street. I ate way too much, and when I finally got to the gym it did not go well. I warmed up, everything was ok. I threw the belt on, grabbed the bar at 310, and everything felt wrong. It felt like everything I ate was trying to make a re-appearance. I got threw that set, went up to 350, same shit. I had a really bad feeling about 395, as I pulled the first rep all hell broke loose in my stomach and I dropped the bar and ran for a garbage can. Totally ruined my workout, irritated the shit out of me.

Also, I had to give up on the no carbs deal. I just don't like the way I feel, so fuck it. I'll figure something else out, or just do a proper diet.

big ragu
05-20-2013, 10:39 AM
5-20-13
Bench
Warm up
115X5
145X5
175X5
315X1
Accessory-More bench, 135X15X5
Thoughts:
Today's been a busy one, and I don't have a whole lot of time. So I just stayed under the bench the whole time. It's week 4, so that means it's a light week. I threw a couple plates on to see if I could still do 315, and I was successful. Not OVERLY successful though, like I doubt there was much more, if any. I may take this week to assess my strength, see how squats go tomorrow. Overall I'm happy with the program. I think it would have been awesome to easily put down 315, and get a pr, but time and strength just weren't there. I'm happy and bummed at the same time.

big ragu
05-21-2013, 11:17 AM
5-21-13
Squats:
Warm Ups
150X5
185X5
225X5
315X1
405X1
Accessory:
Close grip bench-135X15X5
Standing E-Z Bar Curl-85X15X5
Thoughts:
I was quite happy with this workout. To be 3 or so weeks past surgery, and be able to painlessly squat 405 is a big win in my book. Was there more in the tank? Absolutely. Did I want to push it? Absolutely not, so I shut it down at 405. Like bench day, this ties my heaviest squat. It was hot as balls in the gym, but I left quite happy with my results.

GazzyG
05-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Big squats, damn right to be happy. Also right not to push it for more!

big ragu
05-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks man! I typed it wrong, I did 315 once and 405 once, not 5. But I was still happy!

big ragu
05-24-2013, 10:29 AM
5-23-13
Press:
Warm up
60X5
75X5
90X5
Can't remember the weights, but worked up to 205X1
Accessory:
Shrugs-225X15X5
Thoughts:
I enjoyed this workout, everything went well. The only bad part was the worlds biggest douchebag was working out and I swear this fucker can't move without making all sorts of stupid, insanely loud grunts and slamming weights, etc. I cannot stand when this dude is in the gym.

big ragu
05-24-2013, 10:35 AM
5-24-13
Deadlift:
Warm Up:
165X5
205X5
250X5
315X1
405X1
455X1
Accessory:
Bent over barbell rows-135X15X5
Pull Ups-BWX5X5
Thoughts:
Been watching some youtube deadlifting which made me think I could possible use some form help. So during this workout i spent a bit of time focusing on my form. I know I've been guilty of rounding my back and I tried like hell to minimize it. Seemed to work out pretty well. I'm happy, however I don't believe I could have pulled much more than the 455.

big ragu
05-28-2013, 08:42 AM
5-28-13
Bench:
Warm Ups
190X5
220X5
250X12
Accessory:
Dumbell Fly-50X15X5
Thoughts:
Felt pretty good going into the gym, and was shocked to lift 250 for 12. I was hoping for 10, the 12 was a very nice surprise. Time is starting to become rare, between building a race car, street car, getting ready for the baby, and working 55 plus hours a week. I'm disappointed to only do a main lift and one accessory exercise, but I guess it's better than eating donuts and not lifting at all. All in all, VERY happy with this workout.

GazzyG
05-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Lot of demands on your time there. As long as you get the main lift in, any accessories are a bonus, bud.

What kinda cars you working on?

big ragu
05-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Just doesn't seem like much, you know? I'd like to get at least two accessory lifts in.

I have a rear engine dragster I'm switching out the fuel system on, so that's been taking time. I'm also building a 62 BelAir, air bagged, fresh paint and body work.

big ragu
05-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Squats:
250X5
285X5
325X8
Thoughts:
No fuckin time at all today. Works been out of control, it's so busy it isn't even funny. Squats felt good, I'm easing into them. I think the knee is going to be fine.

Judas
05-30-2013, 04:30 AM
Heh... i didn't know you built cars. I was a hotrod-punk long before i ever touched a barbell. That was all i did. Build and 'race' muscle cars and all the associated illegal fun stuff that comes with. That could be the one and only thing that could haul my ass out ov the gym for any real amount ov time... if the street racing scene ever started up again.

big ragu
05-30-2013, 06:29 AM
Yeah man, I'm a big time gear head. Right now in the stable is a dragster, 62 Chevy, 72 Chevy, a motorcycle and an S-10 project. Been racing since I was a kid. I've had to lay off the street shit though, I've lost my license too many times. I lost track of the thousands and thousands of dollars I've spent in fines. Been arrested for speed and unlicensed shit more than once. I try to keep it on the track now, the only problem with that is I always want to go faster. Right now I should be 7.85 at 165mph through the quarter mile. In a couple years I'll build a car that'll certify faster, and shoot for the 6's.

big ragu
05-30-2013, 10:39 AM
5-30-13
Press:
100X5
115X5
130X12

Thoughts:
I had some shoulder pain so I stopped at 12. I also did a bunch of accessory stuff, but I didn't record the weights. I did bench, shrugs, bicep curls.

big ragu
06-01-2013, 07:30 AM
5-31-13
Deadlift:
275x5
315x5
360x12
Thoughts:
Everything went well, I concentrated on my form and it seemed to work well. I'm discouraged that I don't have more time to work out, I really need life to slow down.

Judas
06-02-2013, 05:05 AM
Yeah man, I'm a big time gear head. Right now in the stable is a dragster, 62 Chevy, 72 Chevy, a motorcycle and an S-10 project. Been racing since I was a kid. I've had to lay off the street shit though, I've lost my license too many times. I lost track of the thousands and thousands of dollars I've spent in fines. Been arrested for speed and unlicensed shit more than once. I try to keep it on the track now, the only problem with that is I always want to go faster. Right now I should be 7.85 at 165mph through the quarter mile. In a couple years I'll build a car that'll certify faster, and shoot for the 6's.

Sorry about the Chevy affliction... hahahaha

But nice. Very good friend ov mine's daily driver (literally), is a 60 Chevy with a straight-axle front end, 327 and dual Q-jets... on a tunnel ram. He'd have the new engine in and racing this year but he bought a dreamy 67 Riviera i found (that I wanted... the fucker... hahah) that has taken over his life. I love those 67-69 Rivs... if i was a GM guy i'd have one in my driveway right now... right beside a 70 'Firebird with a 500 Caddy and a stick in it.

My driveway is being protected by my two dream-cars... a 70 Challenger (building a T/A road-race car), and THE most hideously evil 68 Caddy hearse that ever collected moss. I daily drive the sketchiest, most rat-bagged and bashed early Pinto you ever saw. Dont even begin to pretend you're not jealous, not everyone can pull off the Pinto dream... That ones getting the 5.0L, 5speed and gears as soon as i'm done playing Cannonball in it...

big ragu
06-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Yeah man, all chevy, all the time! The gasser Chevy sounds sweet, I'd like to see it. I really dig Riviera's, that's one I really want in my stable one day. Sounds like you have some pretty cool rides, I picture some Giant crawling out of the Pinto!

GazzyG
06-03-2013, 08:06 AM
All gobbedly-gook to me, I'm afraid; over this side of the pond we know next to nothing about American cars, haha.

See a Charger, a 'Vette or whatever on the roads over here and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Rare as rocking horse poo. But then, no-one can afford to fuel them over here, lol.

big ragu
06-03-2013, 02:31 PM
You're missing out gaz! Those cars are very normal here, my dad has owned a few vettes! Fuel here in NY is pretty pricey, but probably not as bad as there. I run methanol in the race car so it's a little cheaper.

6-3-13
Bench
205x3
235x3
265x9
Accessory:
More bench! 135x15x5
Thoughts:
Other than some lingering shoulder pain, everything went quite well! I pushed for 10, got 9, and I'm good with that!

Judas
06-04-2013, 02:52 AM
All gobbedly-gook to me, I'm afraid; over this side of the pond we know next to nothing about American cars, haha.

See a Charger, a 'Vette or whatever on the roads over here and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Rare as rocking horse poo. But then, no-one can afford to fuel them over here, lol.

If you are talking about new "Chargers" then you have still never seen a Charger. Let me give you a hint: NO Charger EVER came with 4 doors...

Gas is getting pretty gross here too. Cocksuckers in BC are charging $1.50 a liter... Its only $1 a liter 20 miles away (in the US) or one province away (Alberta).

big ragu
06-04-2013, 07:10 AM
If you are talking about new "Chargers" then you have still never seen a Charger. Let me give you a hint: NO Charger EVER came with 4 doors...

Gas is getting pretty gross here too. Cocksuckers in BC are charging $1.50 a liter... Its only $1 a liter 20 miles away (in the US) or one province away (Alberta).
^^This. Unfortunately I have little love for any vehicle that's been produced in the past 40 years. They just aren't the same.....

As for gas, paid $3.61 this morning for 87 in the truck, paid $3.97 a gallon for the bike.

big ragu
06-04-2013, 11:13 AM
6-4-13
Squats:
270X3
305X3
345X6

Again, everything felt really good. The knee is giving me no problems as far as lifting goes. I just wish I had more time.

big ragu
06-06-2013, 10:08 AM
6-6-13
Press:
105X3
120X3
140X14
Shrugs-225X15X5
Overhead Dumbell Press-50X15X5
Thoughts:
Went well. No shoulder pain, everything went really well. I had a little bit of time so I threw in some accessory work. Finally!

GazzyG
06-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Doing good, mate. The little niggles don't seem to be bothering you, so that's good too!

GazzyG
06-06-2013, 03:42 PM
As for gas, paid $3.61 this morning for 87 in the truck, paid $3.97 a gallon for the bike.

So, 90 cents a litre? 50 pence per litre, in our money.

If we got it that cheap here, I'd be driving a V8 too, lol.

big ragu
06-07-2013, 03:43 AM
Thanks man. I'm getting fat, but at least I'm getting stronger! So it's not all bad.......

Isn't a pence basically a US penny? Wouldn't that make a gallon about $1.90 over there? My math isn't very good though

GazzyG
06-07-2013, 05:34 AM
Thanks man. I'm getting fat, but at least I'm getting stronger! So it's not all bad.......

Isn't a pence basically a US penny? Wouldn't that make a gallon about $1.90 over there? My math isn't very good though

$1 = 0.64

On my last fillup of my car, it cost me 1.45 per litre. That's 6.58 per gallon.

That's $10.25 per gallon at the current exchange rate.

My car costs me on average ~80.00 to fill, so about $124.00

big ragu
06-07-2013, 05:57 AM
$1 = 0.64

On my last fillup of my car, it cost me 1.45 per litre. That's 6.58 per gallon.

That's $10.25 per gallon at the current exchange rate.

My car costs me on average ~80.00 to fill, so about $124.00

Lol, so yeah, I am definitely NOT good at math! That's a lot of bread man

GazzyG
06-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Lol, so yeah, I am definitely NOT good at math! That's a lot of bread man

Pfft, Britain's not even the most expensive in Europe, lol. Think the Swedes have that honour.

Good job our country's not too big. As the saying goes:

'In Britain, a hundred miles is a long way; in the US, a hundred years is a long time!'

big ragu
06-10-2013, 10:03 AM
6-10-13
Bench
220X5
250X3
280X8 (barely)
More bench-135X15X5
Incline bench-135X15X5
Thoughts:
I lifted Fri but forgot to record it. Anyway, I loved this workout. Chest felt really swollen afterwards (which is good cuz so is my belly!), always makes me feel like I did something lol. 280X8 is a lot for me. I "think" next week I'll be able to get a PR for bench. We'll see come Monday.

big ragu
06-11-2013, 11:44 AM
6-11-13
Squats:
285X5
325X3
365X5
Front Squats-135X15X5
Thoughts:
Felt pretty good, I have some lower back pain that was bothered by the weight on my shoulders. Next week I feel pretty confident that I can get a PR on this lift as well.

GazzyG
06-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Great work with the benching and the squats, bud!

big ragu
06-27-2013, 04:10 AM
Been a while, life and pain have gotten in the way. I did get a bench PR about a week and a half ago, 335. I also PR'd on squat, 435. Unfortunately I hurt my shoulder and it made it pretty impossible to lift. It's feeling better right now, I will probably wait til Monday to get back in the gym.