PDA

View Full Version : Help. Shakes are making me crash hard.

colorado
03-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Hey everyone,

I am 5'10 and about 145. I got up to about 160 at one point and that's been the most I've ever weighed. I have to take in a ton of calories to put on any weight.

So I try to go through one of these shakes a day. But the problem is I crash 20 minutes afterwards quite hard. Can barely keep my eyes open, etc.

Is there anything I can change to prevent the crashes?

Shake consists of:

3 cups milk
1 cup oats
3 scoops BSN True-Mass Strawberry Milkshake

Thanks everyone.

Behemoth
03-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Try a shake with equal calories but less carbs and more protein and fat and see if that helps.

tcooper
03-26-2013, 04:04 PM
why milk?? to much dang sugar.

use egg whites..
1 cup of oats isnt that many carbs at all..

colorado
03-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Yeah I tried going without oats today. Used some peanut butter instead, but it didn't help.

You think I should use egg whites instead of milk? How much would you suggest I add to my shake?

Behemoth
03-26-2013, 10:50 PM
why milk?? to much dang sugar.

use egg whites..
1 cup of oats isnt that many carbs at all..

50g is significant. Add those to the 90g in his gainer and its evident he's crashing from either too many carbs, or simply just the total overall calorie load. 39g of lactose is not the variable to start at imo.

Yeah I tried going without oats today. Used some peanut butter instead, but it didn't help.

You think I should use egg whites instead of milk? How much would you suggest I add to my shake?
I wouldn't. Finish off that junk weightgainer and just use a protein powder, some of your oats, milk, and some fats like PB. Dthat gainer is 90g of maltodextrin per serving. Ditch those calories by using more straight protein powder and fat and I bet there is improvement.

If not, you'll have to try and spread out your calories into smaller servings or just suck it up and accept that its worth making progress for.

colorado
03-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks Behemoth.

Do you have any recommendations for adding fat and calories to the shake? I will look into other protein powders for sure.

Behemoth
03-28-2013, 03:12 AM
Use whole milk and more peanut butter. A tablespoon or two of oil should go undetected in taste.

Don't forget that you have to eat big all day if you're struggling to gain weight. There's no magic or purpose in a shake if it offsets the amount of food you consume the rest of the day. if you're naturally thin/small you're going to have to tolerate the feeling of being full and quite possibly the crash.

There's truly nothing wrong with eating right before bed so that may be something else to consider as far as meal/shake timing vs energy levels is concerned.

DontTakeEmOff31
03-28-2013, 07:23 AM
if you're naturally thin/small you're going to have to tolerate the feeling of being full and quite possibly the crash.

All too true.

BULK_BOY
03-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Complex carbs. You might want to up these to help smooth out your simple sugar intake. Do you have access to lots of food? I'm talking Meat & Potatoes, Bread etc.....

It will take time. You can change your body. You just have to be a persistent bugger about it. It's your body, take it to the Max.

tcooper
03-30-2013, 09:10 AM
still don't understand why people recommend whole milk.. the macros are horrible. IMO id much rather get my carbs from oats, or such and fats from PB or olive oil...

Egg whites + oats + olive oil and maybe a scoop of whey is a better shake imo..

Alinshop
04-01-2013, 11:43 PM
3 cups of milk in one shake? :)

Matthew Bryduck
04-02-2013, 11:01 AM
tcopper,

This gentleman is trying to put on size. Ever heard of the Gomad diet?

tcooper
04-02-2013, 04:38 PM
putting on size doesnt = getting fat..

gomad diet is freaking horrible....

tom183
04-02-2013, 04:42 PM
still don't understand why people recommend whole milk.. the macros are horrible

Care to elaborate?

3 cups of milk in one shake?

Why does that surprise you?

tcooper
04-02-2013, 04:48 PM
whole milk vita D

1 cup = 160 cals
8g fat ( 5 is saturated )
total carbs 13g ( 12 is sugar)
Total protein is 8

so all of the carbs are sugar and all of the fats are saturated... how is that good compared to

Egg whites + oats + olive oil..
I dont care if youre trying to gain weight or cut you should still eat the same just more or less...

the im bulking attitude lets get to 20% BF is a mistake..

Matthew Bryduck
04-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Oh no sugar and fat??!?!? I think my heart just stopped.

tcooper
04-02-2013, 06:50 PM
lol! don't get me wrong man i love my damn milk! i would do some nasty things for some milk and cereal right now.

but as ive learned (from bodybuilding viewpoint) its really not a good choice for calories. To each their own tho, different people, different goals. just voicing my opinion is all

Matthew Bryduck
04-02-2013, 07:23 PM
The dude is 145lbs at 5'10", I'm sure 3 cups of milk a day isn't going to the deciding factor of him getting to 20 percent bf.

Jonathan E
04-02-2013, 08:21 PM
When it comes down to it, it's calories in verse calories out. Yes, calories from oats and egg whites might be better for you in the super long run compared to whole milk (as far as health is concerned, even then, I'm saying that loosely). But from an aesthetic approach, if both give the same amount of calories, it doesn't make a difference as far as BF goes.

Alex.V
04-02-2013, 10:28 PM
He's got a point, though.... shoveling down a big load of relatively unhealthy crap is NOT the way to gain quality weight. I don't really like GOMAD either, though I do know it's worked for some guys who really CAN'T take in enough whole calories. (Shit, I can house 6-7k without too much thought, but I do love good food).

Don't get me wrong, I do believe a calorie is a calorie, but it also pains me to see skinny guys suddenly start pounding WAY too many calories without ramping up their training intensity enough and going from skinny to skinny fat. It also does pay to take a moment to consider the health aspects of these things. (Again, not that saturated fat is in any way "bad", nor that sugar itself is necessarily bad either... just presenting the other side. )

Jonathan E
04-02-2013, 10:41 PM
He's got a point, though.... shoveling down a big load of relatively unhealthy crap is NOT the way to gain quality weight. I don't really like GOMAD either, though I do know it's worked for some guys who really CAN'T take in enough whole calories. (Shit, I can house 6-7k without too much thought, but I do love good food).

Don't get me wrong, I do believe a calorie is a calorie, but it also pains me to see skinny guys suddenly start pounding WAY too many calories without ramping up their training intensity enough and going from skinny to skinny fat. It also does pay to take a moment to consider the health aspects of these things. (Again, not that saturated fat is in any way "bad", nor that sugar itself is necessarily bad either... just presenting the other side. )

Most definitely...it's all about balance.

tom183
04-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Why do all milk arguments seem to turn to GOMAD as if its GOMAD or nothing. Plenty of room in between.

He's got a point, though.... shoveling down a big load of relatively unhealthy crap is NOT the way to gain quality weight.

Alex, are you speaking in broad terms or do you actually rate whole milk as 'relatively unhealthy crap'?

Matthew Bryduck
04-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Alex V,

I would love to see you shovel down 6-7k of calories of clean food. I really don't see that happening. When I refer to clean foods I mean lean meats and complex carbs.

Matt

Alinshop
04-03-2013, 01:02 PM
The dude is 145lbs at 5'10", I'm sure 3 cups of milk a day isn't going to the deciding factor of him getting to 20 percent bf.

I was thinking he meant he had several shakes a day w/ three cups of milk in each .

tcooper
04-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Alex V,

I would love to see you shovel down 6-7k of calories of clean food. I really don't see that happening. When I refer to clean foods I mean lean meats and complex carbs.

Matt

I put down that much in clean cals. It's not that hard once you get used to it..

Matthew Bryduck
04-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Tcooper,

List your daily intake and no bullshit. Why would you put that much down being 191lbs?

tcooper
04-03-2013, 05:31 PM
damn dude calm down lol, why so hostile?

you not read my sig?? im in middle of contest prep.. 5'6 191lbs at 8% bf is pretty big if you havent forgotten..

and to be honest im more like 5'5 lol 5'6 is pushin it

im about 220-230 in the off season....

Matthew Bryduck
04-03-2013, 05:50 PM
I'm not hostile, I just think you not being truthful. I'm currently 5'8/9 255-260, so I know what it takes to get big. Let see some progress pics of your "pretty big" self. I start my contest prep at the end of this month.

tcooper
04-03-2013, 05:55 PM
so youre 5'9 255 at 30% body fat? lol.. good job there big boy. you can call me out all you want.

since youre such an experienced body builder right? i might be newer to the body building scene but im working with one of the best coaches in the south.. following exactly what he says and he has produced numerous pros and top level competitors.. i dont have to prove myself to you.. im just stating my opinions and youre getting hot about it.. lay off the sups man.. infact lay off the forums and go outside.. its nice out ya know

Matthew Bryduck
04-03-2013, 06:14 PM
30 percent BF? HAHAHA..I post video and pictures all the time in the bodybuilding forum, so you can go see what I look like. Who is your prep coach? (IFBB Pro Don Long or Shelby Starnes?) I live in the south as well, so I would be interested to know. Well stop acting like a internet tough guy and a know it all, I'm stating my opinions and you're getting a little defensive. I will be posting progress pics so you can see how my prep is going.

I'm not trying to make enemies and might be stirring the pot a little, but your know it all attitude pushed me to do it.

tcooper
04-03-2013, 06:21 PM
man reread the whole thread i never once had an attitude.. If it seemed like I did my apologies.. you came at me with some strong sarcasm for no reason dude

Matthew Bryduck
04-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Well you came off as a know it all. I accuse myself that sometimes, then I talk to Chris Mason and I feel like I know nothing. hahah You missed a couple of my questions..

tcooper
04-03-2013, 06:25 PM
lol it's all good. My apology for the know it all attitude.. must of been irritated cause thats not me at all. Not gonna put any names on blast over a forum though (coach) sure you understand

Matthew Bryduck
04-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Well wish you the best of luck at your show, make sure to post pics in the bodybuilding section..