PDA

View Full Version : Protein question.

JCooper
03-30-2013, 04:49 PM
I've read many different articles on protein absorption, I've read that a mix of whey and casein protein gives the benefit of both fast and slow absorption and I've conflicting articles that mixing the two causes casein to slow down the absorption of the whey. I've personally wondered if the body can even tell the difference and just absorbs at it's own rate regardless of type. Is any of this relevant or should someone just get as much protein as one can stomach and not worry about absorption rate?

If I have asked this in the wrong place please move.

chris mason
03-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Ok, first, there is a difference. Second, the people that argue simultaneous ingestion of casein with whey compromises the speed of whey absorption to any significant degree are wrong.

Now, this argument really only becomes important at the nuance level. For example, if you are on a low calorie diet etc. It is also a concern if you are supplementing with protein as you can take less of a whey and casein blend and get the same results (i.e. save money).

All of our protein products utilize a blend of whey, casein, and egg proteins.

www.atlargenutrition.com

JCooper
03-31-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks, I use a whey isolate and the interest came from reading the ingredients and I noticed that it was a blend of whey and casein isolates. That got me to reading and as with and thing you read on the "web" you can find an article to support anything and against anything. My next question, is there any benefit to using a 100% whey vs. a blend for post workout?

chris mason
04-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks, I use a whey isolate and the interest came from reading the ingredients and I noticed that it was a blend of whey and casein isolates. That got me to reading and as with and thing you read on the "web" you can find an article to support anything and against anything. My next question, is there any benefit to using a 100% whey vs. a blend for post workout?

No, in fact the blend is always better because it will provide for greater net retention and thus potential utilization and the blend will include whey so you will still receive its quick absorption benefit.