PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat before or after working out?

trooth
07-19-2002, 02:36 PM
I was wondering when you all eat - before or after working out? I just started going to the gym, basically to get myself into better shape and build a little muscle - nothing major. I also started eating healthier, cooking at home and such since I was used to eating out quite often.

I was wondering is it better for me to eat before I workout, or after? Just looking for peoples opinions and why... thanks :)

trooth
07-19-2002, 02:37 PM
Ok... what a n00bie move, can a moderator please move this to the Diet and Nutrition forum. My apologies. tuttut

Budiak
07-19-2002, 10:08 PM
I eat before and after workouts. You should too, what, are you not eating? WTF are you doing on the board and not in the kitchen?

NateDogg
07-20-2002, 06:48 AM
Lol @ Budiak

Definitely eat before (at least an hour, probably not more than 2 hours) before you workout, and as soon as you can afterwards.

Before = complex carbohydrate (oatmeal, brown rice, etc) and protein (steak, chicken, fish, etc)

After = simple sugar (dextrose) and quick absorbing protein (whey)

ND

trooth
07-20-2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Budiak
I eat before and after workouts. You should too, what, are you not eating? WTF are you doing on the board and not in the kitchen?

I'm learning, thats what. :p

Nah.. I'm just getting started, and just trying to learn bits at a time. Thanks for the help fellas..

body
07-20-2002, 12:14 PM
i eat/drink before and after the gym.

Silverback
07-20-2002, 01:20 PM
b4/after although i eat about 15mins before i workout, take in a carb drink throughout,

Finish with dextrose, creatine and whey protein, then about 1h30 after i have a meal.

Mystic Eric
07-20-2002, 01:50 PM
I eat DURING the workout! lol ;)

IceRgrrl
07-20-2002, 02:10 PM
I eat something about 1.5-2 hours before my workout and then right afterwards...like as soon as I get in my vehicle and head home :) Then again about an hour after my workout.

Flyersfan
07-21-2002, 07:01 PM
I eat 1-1.5 hours before my workout. Any closer to the workout, and I'm guaranteed to yak.
After my workout, I eat something on the drive home and have a protein shake when I get there. That's usually about 30 minutes after I finished my cool-down stretching routine.

Kayak_boy
07-21-2002, 10:25 PM
Before, during, after........ food is always going in my belly!!:D

Natural Animal
07-21-2002, 10:27 PM
I just had a workout and before it I ate a complex carb "weet bix" with full milk, and now Im chilling on the net and sucking down a can of tuna, an apple, alot of water and I bought some muscle gain/fat loss drink as well for a laugh.

Budiak
07-22-2002, 01:12 AM
I wonder what it'd be like eating a tuna sammich while working out. Maybe the gym staff would come up to me and complain but I'd say 'Hey, how about that kid not wearing a shirt, those 8 people not using towels, that dude who isnt wearing shoes, the people who dont sign up for cardio equipment, and the unattended children running around? Are you going to throw all of us out?'

Then I'd slap him.

GIS
07-22-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric
I eat DURING the workout! lol ;)

Hehe, I've been known to do the same. Guys are always looking at me funny when I stand just outside the weightroom in the middle of training with a protein bar munching away. I usually get pretty hungry even after eating a meal right before going so I eat, eat, eat. Eating before is important but eating after is REALLY important.