PDA

View Full Version : Bigger weight classes

DontTakeEmOff31
04-05-2013, 06:47 AM
I was hoping to get advice from some of the bigger guys on this. I'm a short guy, 5'6, was weighing in around 220 until I tore my pec, about 210 now. I really enjoy powerlifting and strongman and just being big in general and was considering eating my way up to 242.

My question is, will this be overkill at my height, or will this be a good spot for big numbers? I'm not a bodybuilder and have no desire to have abs, so I'm ok with a little fat. I'm more concerned with quality of life. Any advice on moving in to or being in the higher weight classes?

gaz90
04-05-2013, 12:03 PM
muscle for strength -or fat for leverage??

im also 5'6 and i dont even wanna imagine what id look like a 242...would be seriously bad for your health too

i dont mean to be a dick, i just dont think its a smart move for the sake of some extra weight on the bar...just saying

ThomasG
04-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Not necessary and overkill.

joey54
04-05-2013, 03:30 PM
I was hoping to get advice from some of the bigger guys on this. I'm a short guy, 5'6, was weighing in around 220 until I tore my pec, about 210 now. I really enjoy powerlifting and strongman and just being big in general and was considering eating my way up to 242.

My question is, will this be overkill at my height, or will this be a good spot for big numbers? I'm not a bodybuilder and have no desire to have abs, so I'm ok with a little fat. I'm more concerned with quality of life. Any advice on moving in to or being in the higher weight classes?

I'm 6 inches taller than you with better numbers in the squat and deadlift at the same weight class. You can certainly drop weight and continue to get stronger. It really depends on things like age and what you want to do. If your goal is to be as strong as possible while sacrificing other things, why not spend a few years packing it on? If you are worried about how the weight will affect your health more than your numbers, maybe you don't want to go up much higher. I've met Vincent D in person and he can't be more than a few inches taller than you. He made it to 308's and even then never looked extremely obese.

DontTakeEmOff31
04-05-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm 6 inches taller than you with better numbers in the squat and deadlift at the same weight class. You can certainly drop weight and continue to get stronger. It really depends on things like age and what you want to do. If your goal is to be as strong as possible while sacrificing other things, why not spend a few years packing it on? If you are worried about how the weight will affect your health more than your numbers, maybe you don't want to go up much higher. I've met Vincent D in person and he can't be more than a few inches taller than you. He made it to 308's and even then never looked extremely obese.

Yeah I'm not too overly concerned about health, I enjoy being heavier but was just curious about other opinions. I'm almost 24 now, fairly young and pretty new to the sport of powerlifting. I am also far from obese, the general person doesn't think I have much fat on me (although I do, I'd say around 15% bf give or take).

I'm in this sport for the long haul, and if I do decide to pack on more weight it would be a slow process. Thanks for the input guys.

theBarzeen
04-05-2013, 04:34 PM
It all depends on how much quality muscle you carry, and how quickly you can pack it on.

One of my teammates, the guy who helped my wife and I at Relentless 2013, is 5'7" at 242 and is healthy and strong as heck - hit an easy 954 squat in his last geared meat and has done raw reps with over 600 in the gym...
but he took his time getting there. At 230 or so the guy has visible abs. At 250+ he did a box jump to the pad on our reverse hyper.

Some guys can carry that much weight and be strong as heck at around your height, but if you are already sloppy and rush your weight gain you'll just end up fatter, not much stronger.

SO, eat as much clean food as you can and se where your body goes.

ScottYard
04-06-2013, 06:26 AM
It will certainly help your bench by gaining weight. have fun.

Brian Hopper
04-06-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm 5'6 and I woke up this morning at 252 and I feel great :)

Travis Bell
04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm 5'8" and 265 and easily am able to carry a manual labor job as well as running my gym.

vdizenzo
04-07-2013, 07:16 AM
At 5'8" I got up to 328.5. That's what I had to do to get my first 600 raw bench. Yeah, it wasn't healthy. My bloodwork was not good, but it was not completely awful either. I could hardly walk half a mile the day after. That's when I started conditioning Work. That said, I think it was worth every ounce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7LjtMZRTZ0

With the confidence of hitting 600 raw a couple of times at shw, I was able to diet down a bit and hit it at 308. Even though I was about 23 lbs lighter, I think this was a much better 600 than my original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6WVyWLlaWM

Alright, so now I am chasing it at 275. I had a real close attempt last summer. This is doable. Now, with that said, had I never gotten to 328.5 (just couldn't make 330), I do not think I'd be knocking at the door of 600 in my third weight class. I am also pleased to say, my bloodwork is excellent now. In addition, I have been a lifelong asthmatic (regardless of my weight). With my conditioning and proper nutrition, I no longer take medication for it. The point is, I think it is ok to put the weight on as long as you monitor yourself and ultimately plan to take it off down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNYGR8XFYrg

ScottYard
04-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Im in the same boat you are Vinny. While I was never 330 I did get up to 305 the day after the ARNOLD bench bash in 2007. I dont regret being that heavy as the things I was able to do were worth like you said ' worth very once". But it is nice to get a bigger perspective with all your life goals and find a happy medium.

DAMN that 600 at 275 close.

DontTakeEmOff31
04-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I want to reach the big numbers one day and I feel that I need to get to a heavy weight class first, even if I cut back down to 220 afterwards. Once my torn pec heals up it my goal to get to 242 (I bulked up to 220 from 135 so its not a hard goal for me to hit).

Vincent, I listen to Just Big all the time and that has been part of my motivation to take powerlifting more seriously and get up to the bigger weight classes. This is definitely my sport that I wan't to do for the next 20+ years, plus I like being bigger. Just gotta let this pec heal now.

Judas
04-11-2013, 05:22 AM
Know yourself and listen to your body. If you have to fight it tooth and nail to put on the weight and dont see the gains with it then its not meant to be. On the other hand, if it wants to grow, let it. I dont get the way so many lifters fight to stay in a lower weight class when it is obvious they'll lift more (weight on bar AND by formula) by getting bigger. Leverage counts for a lot in bench press, and more mass can help stabilize a lot ov weight on squats. Just keep it QUALITY mass. At 5'6" and 210 and 15%BF you sound like you could be leaner. I'm all for letting the body get as big as it wants to get, as long as the gains are lean and contributing. When i started i was 180lbs and decided i'd be a great 198 lifter. I got to 200lbs in 5 months. I nearly shit myself at how fast i gained mass. I had to quit eating to stay in the 198's by the 8th month, and wish i could go back in time and slap myself upside the head. I cost myself a lot ov beginner gains by not letting myself grow when it was bloody obvious thats what the body wanted. If you'd have told me i'd be a leaner 240lb lifter 6 years later i would have laughed you out ov the building.

Ed Coan did his best deadlift at 198, but he did his heaviest deadlift at 220. Not sure if he had to cut to 220, but he was around 5'6 or 5'7" i think. He also had a sick bench. Levers man...