PDA

View Full Version : Warmups for Bench Training

Travis Bell
04-16-2013, 08:29 AM
How do you guys warm up for bench training?

When I first started I'd really not do anything. As time went on though I slowly accumulated more bodily abuse that I needed to take care of to prevent a serious injury.

I usually start with some internal and external rotation stretching for about 5-10minutes, then move on to indian club swings for about 2min, some light pushdowns for a set of 30 and sometimes lacrosseball massage on the shoulders and forearms.

I'm training early in the morning as well which makes a difference. I haven't been moving around all day, rather I've been sitting in my truck for 2hrs driving and I'm usually stiff.

This stuff has greatly alleviated a lot of injuries during training. My shoulders feel good most days, elbows feel good etc. But it's boring and sometimes I like to change it up so I'm interested in seeing what you all do.

Murderous
04-16-2013, 08:55 AM
I am a novice lifter but I usually did a set of external rotations just to warm up the rotator cuffs and then I would do a lengthy warmup on the bench with small increments. If I was to be attempt a new max of 220 I would warm up this way:
Bar×10+
65 lbs×8-10
95 lbs×8-10
115 lbs×8-10
135×6-8
155×5
185×5
200×3
2 sets of 210×2
220 1RM attempt

Travis Bell
04-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah I'm more talking about the stuff before benching.

Most people start with the bar and work their way up, although there was a time when I didn't do that even lol.

BloodandThunder
04-16-2013, 10:03 AM
I do some thoracic extension work, some pull aparts and face pulls with a small band, some YTWLs and some general traction work on the shoulders to add to what Travis put down. Pretty much enough to get a light sweat going before I even hit the bench.

ScottYard
04-16-2013, 01:36 PM
I have a warm up routine that Mike Robertson made for me. Its 10 movements of 1 set of 10 each. I then hit the rollers on my hips and back. Nothing major. 10 passes each. I then hit the strick on my arms and a lacrosse ball on my delts and pecks. Nothing major here either. About 10 second per area.

I then hit the indian clubs for about 20 swings each shoulder and then Im good to go.

It seems like overkill but after I tore my shoulder in 2009 it takes me this long to get it lose and ready to lift.

Stumprrp
04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
I usually strech my shoulders out a little and then do some side laterals, front laterals, and rotator cuff. After that ill do light pushdowns and some light pulldowns. Ill strech my hips out a little bit and do the bar. Ill simply load my max attempt for the day after that and bench it. Just kidding.

big ragu
04-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Warmups other than getting under the bar? Fuck, I don't do anything. Just start real light and work up a bit. Sounds like I need to makes some changes...........

vdizenzo
04-16-2013, 03:58 PM
I have really refined my warmup in the past couple of years. It includes foam rolling, dynamic stretching, and some lightweight exercises. It takes about 15 minutes if I keep a good pace. I usually have a good sweat going and am breathing just a little heavy. The only other thing I'll add is some jumps or med ball slams if I feel like jumpstarting my cns.

Brian C
04-16-2013, 06:45 PM
foam rolling, dynamic stretching, band pullaparts, band dislocates, and some banded traction work for shoulders. Usually good to go then.

Judas
04-17-2013, 03:59 AM
I dont roll or stretch before i bench, and the days i do bench its always done first, so for me its actually kind ov a nice break to just be able to walk into the gym and start benching. For EVERYTHING else i do there is considerable stretching and mobility work to do beforehand... on Olympic days usually an hour before i even touch a bar.

I start with a rotator cuff circuit done with (always) 5lb plates. Side raises x10, rear delt raises x10, 'backhand' raises x10, and the 'Hey mister... wanna buy an 8?' 'raises x10. Then i bench the bar 20 times playing with different grips to hit everything.

That whole deal i repeat three times. Rotators happy now, and in 8 years never hurt a rotator once.

Then i go (assuming a max ov say, 440):
135x10
185x4
225x2 'Warm-up' is pretty much done now. Rest is just acclimation.
275x1 Start pausing here.
315x1
345x1
365x1
385x1
405x1
425x1 Or 'daily max' x1

I always work to a 'daily max', then drop down and do whatever set/rep scheme is programmed. Occasionally i'll do a 3-board daily max and then a 5-board daily max after the big single... (on the above scheme say maybe 455 and 485lbs), though nothing really taxing, just enough to feel some real weight. I like about 10 sets to hit my max... greases the groove quite nicely.