PDA

View Full Version : Who here naps

vdizenzo
04-25-2013, 05:48 AM
Yesterday I was supposed to either condition or perform a recovery activity. There was no part of me that wanted to do either. I remember watching one of Mark Bell's vids talking about Stan Efferding and his push towards his last meet. Mark talked about how Stan incorporated naps into his program.

So I decided to take a nap instead of forcing myself to do something I really did not want to do. Man, it felt awesome. I either train, condition, or perform some type of recovery each day. Of course I won't nap instead of train. However, I will now use a nap as a viable option instead of the usual recovery option or even conditioning if I'm not in the mood.

GazzyG
04-25-2013, 06:55 AM
I try to, Vinnie, but whenever I sleep during the day I always feel SHATTERED when I wake up, no idea why.

Always happens. Feel tired, nothing to do, take a nap. Wake up feeling worse than before, haha!

Rock1984
04-25-2013, 07:12 AM
I'm with Gareth on this.
This happens to me about once a month, usually on monday: I come home from work, at about 7pm; I have to put my stuff in the gym bag and hit the weights; but the "call of the bed" is strong, and I can't resist laying down "for a short nap".
I usually wake up 4 hours later, completely numb but angry as hell because of my idiocy: training session is gone, and going back to sleep almost pointless for another 3 hours, so the next day I'm even MORE f*cked up.

So no, no naps for me!

tom183
04-25-2013, 07:12 AM
Quite common for me to nap in the middle of the day. I work a split shift though so my lifestyle is very accommodating to doing so.

big ragu
04-25-2013, 07:20 AM
I try to, Vinnie, but whenever I sleep during the day I always feel SHATTERED when I wake up, no idea why.

Always happens. Feel tired, nothing to do, take a nap. Wake up feeling worse than before, haha!

This is EXACTLY what happens to me! I can't nap, I wake up moody as fuck

vdizenzo
04-25-2013, 09:05 AM
You guys might want to try setting an alarm for your nap. They recommend all different times for naps. I napped for 1.5 hrs yesterday. That allows you to get through a full cycle of sleep.

I don't think I would normally try to nap on the day of training for fear of being groggy.

Things might also be different for me. I am noticing as I have gotten older, I need more sleep to recover for training and life.

big ragu
04-25-2013, 10:04 AM
While my gym workload is not as much as most of you guys, I find that 8 hours of sleep per night gives me plenty of energy to get through the day, my workouts, etc. If I nap for 10 mins, an hour, or whatever it completely ruins the rest of my day. I will say that the older I get the more I require that 8 hours. I used to do the same on 4 hours.

joey54
04-25-2013, 10:23 AM
20 minute nap can the trick. Lay on your floor, flat on your back.

Meatfish
04-25-2013, 04:40 PM
15 mins to half an hour most afternoons (well, probably every second day, often an hour or two after training) helps me and has for a while. It's not something i plan, I just fall asleep. It does help though and backs up something I was taught years ago in school -15 minute power naps to refresh your mind -any more would lead to you going into too deeper sleep which means you would be groggy after. 15-30 mins is just enough to refresh you. You could try an alarm but whenever I try to organise it that much I then can't get to sleep.

ScottYard
04-25-2013, 07:10 PM
I havent had a mid day nap in 8 months since kid number two was born. I also havent had a full night sleep without being worken up atleast once a night during that time either. I guess all Im saying is that Im jealous!

KJDANEXT0
04-28-2013, 06:12 PM
What sort of rep range do you guys use on your nap?

Will high reps promote more hypertrophy for naps?

Brian Hopper
04-28-2013, 06:25 PM
I'll usually take a nap whenever the baby takes a nap.

MarcusWild
04-28-2013, 09:57 PM
I train Saturday and Sunday morning. I love to eat then nap after.

JasonLift
04-29-2013, 04:10 AM
I end up taking a quick power nap every time my wife starts talking to me about the Jodi Arias trial.

I always find that if I nap for about 20 minutes it is a great recharge after the initial wake up grogginess. If I sleep longer than 20 minutes than I better make it a full sleep because I feel worse afterwards.

Bigboy1968
04-29-2013, 10:34 AM
I am retired so I get a nap in every day, it's one of the only skills I learned in the Army that still benefit me (never pass up the opportunity to get some sleep) I try to limit it to a 30-45 minute snooze, I usually feel great afterwards.

chris mason
04-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Every day. I only get 5-6 hours of sleep at night and that is not enough for me. My naps are anywhere from 30 min. to a little over an hour. I usually do it around 4-6P.M.

Chad Walker
05-01-2013, 06:35 AM
I work nights on 12 hours shifts. The days I am not working I sleep at night. Naps play a huge roll in my recovery for training and ability to function (politely) with society.

vdizenzo
05-01-2013, 08:45 AM
I work nights on 12 hours shifts. The days I am not working I sleep at night. Naps play a huge roll in my recovery for training and ability to function (politely) with society.

Great to see you post here. Awesome response about the "politely" funcitioning in society. I have to work on that on a daily basis.

chris mason
05-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks for joining Chad!

larsen540
05-05-2013, 11:18 AM
I take naps on nearly everyone of my days off.

Chubrock
05-05-2013, 01:54 PM
I work the road. We rotate between night and dayshift every 14 days. Night shifts are usually 6p-4a or so. I try not to sleep during the day so even when I get home between 4-5a, I'll only sleep until 8a or so. I very rarely get more than 6hrs of total sleep (split between a few hours continuous and then one nap).

Cards
05-05-2013, 10:41 PM
i take a 2 hour nap every saturday/sunday, its awesome.

SEOINAGE
05-06-2013, 08:38 AM
fri/sat/sun if I don't feel like doing anything at all with myself I'll take a nap, usually that means I need some serious rest. Weekdays I just force myself to get stuff done, not enough time m-th to take a nap, rare occasion fall asleep for 15 minutes, but usually if I go try to take a nap in the evening I'm out for a really long time. Get 5-6 hours of sleep a night, If I'm lucky it will be uninterrupted. Occasional 3 hours due to work is the worst. Been getting sick a lot because of it.

Naps are great, I would get more if I could. I used to have a job with two set 15 minute break periods, napped through both of them and it was amazing.