PDA

View Full Version : A rebuttal video relating to bands for strength training

chris mason
04-25-2013, 09:26 PM
I've been seeing videos and posts as of late inferring that bands are an ineffective tool for strength training. Here is a quick rebuttal I made:

1iNGJPEwtrQ&feature

Stumprrp
04-26-2013, 08:05 AM
There is this whole new wave of raw, boxless, bandless, chainless lifting mostly coming from the guys at juggernaut who i respect greatly, especially brandon lilly, that i find incrediblly aggravating. He has a new video out that essentially is another westside/gear bash. I didnt expect this from him.

RFabsik
04-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Chris this is a good summary on the benefits of bands. What is you take on the nay sayers cons to bands such as (I'm no agreeing with the cons, just want your take):

Bands put you in a groove and prevents you from building stability since the bands lock you in place?

Bands train the wrong end of the strength curve for raw lifters since the most force is on the top and most people struggle on the bottom?

People who train on a box and with bands lack stability in the hole and should be doing pause squats instead?

Or overall, is there a balance, and based on your weaknesses/strengths will depend on how much band work you do. Geared lifter more band work than raw. Weak lockout more band work then someone weak off the chest or in the hole?

chris mason
04-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Chris this is a good summary on the benefits of bands. What is you take on the nay sayers cons to bands such as (I'm no agreeing with the cons, just want your take):

Bands put you in a groove and prevents you from building stability since the bands lock you in place?

Bands train the wrong end of the strength curve for raw lifters since the most force is on the top and most people struggle on the bottom?

People who train on a box and with bands lack stability in the hole and should be doing pause squats instead?

Or overall, is there a balance, and based on your weaknesses/strengths will depend on how much band work you do. Geared lifter more band work than raw. Weak lockout more band work then someone weak off the chest or in the hole?

I think bands are a great tool. I have never said you should only use them and never lift straight weight. In fact, I have always maintained raw lifters should include straight weight competition lifts in their ME rotation.

I agree the bands impart stability in one sense, but depending upon their placement (i.e. the angle of the band) they can also do just the opposite and force the lifter to fight the band pulling them laterally one way or the other. I think this is a non-issue if both bands and straight weight are used.

The strength curve argument is stupid. Even with the squat where there may be some validity to the argument, see my above point of including straight weight in your rotation.

The same argument for the box squat.

04-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Cool vid, thnx
yes, it is 9.8 m/s2 :)

Now, couldn't one also make the argument that bands are a very effective tool for hypertrophy - and by extension strength? As well as many other arguments I suppose.

chris mason
04-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Cool vid, thnx
yes, it is 9.8 m/s2 :)

Now, couldn't one also make the argument that bands are a very effective tool for hypertrophy - and by extension strength? As well as many other arguments I suppose.

Yes, that (the bodybuilding) would be reasonable conclusion based on the fact you can make the muscles work more on each rep. I've always maintained bodybuilders should use them (wrote an article about it :)).

Joe B
04-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Very informative, thanks Chris.

If I could ask you to expand on one point, does training with overspeed eccentrics carry over to one's lifts with straight weight (e.g., at a meet)?

JK1
05-04-2013, 01:01 AM
Bands make me seriously, seriously f'ing sore.... thats all I can say about them. I've rotated them in and out of training for years, and they still make me seriously f'ing sore.