PDA

View Full Version : First powerlifting competition completed!

fpr
05-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Just a local meet, but my first one.

350SQ 270BE 550DL @ 210#

Best gym lifts are 365SQ 255BE (with pause) 585DL

Had never done all 3 lifts back to back before, DL was a disappointment but the squat took a lot out of me.

Lot of fun, can't wait till the next one!

ScottYard
05-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Awesome. I bombed my first two meets so dont be too dissapointed. Nice work.

big ragu
05-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Shit, don't be disappointed, that's a big deadlift!! Great job!

BULK_BOY
05-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Congrats bro! I would love to do those numbers next month at my first competition. But that's just wishful thinking. hahahaha
Either way, nice job on your first. Keep it up!

Cheers.

fpr
05-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks all for the words of encouragement.

I've had a few people mention and ask what's going on with my squat vs deadlift ratio.

Only thing I can draw from it is that I have pretty tight iliopsoas' so I have a tendency of squatting and deadlifting with my quads primarily.

When I try and drive through my heels I have no power whatsoever, especially with heavy squats I really start to ride up on my toes. I pay for it the next day with the squats as my knees ache, no problems with deadlifts though (I deadllift with a very rounded lower back due to the iliopsoas tightness too)

chris mason
05-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Nice work!

You don't want to keep pulling with a rounded lower back. That will lead to no good... Take a video of you squatting with correct form with a relatively light weight. If you can get into position properly it isn't a tightness issue, it is a strength issue. You have likely been squatting improperly so long you just have a major strength imbalance.

fpr
05-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks -- I will do that.

Have my first strongman competition tomorrow, competing in the novice division. Stoked!