PDA

View Full Version : Tuna and mayo?

Marcel
07-20-2002, 04:45 AM
What is the 'healthiest mayo'? By this I mean no soybean oil. Is there a better version?

Thanks.

mr_fit2002
07-20-2002, 07:41 AM
I dont understand why u want mayo with your tuna, just it it right out of the can. The mayo will only make u fat.

Fredde

Manveet
07-20-2002, 09:38 AM
I dont understand why u want mayo with your tuna, just it it right out of the can. The mayo will only make u fat.

Just down it with some water.

Behemoth
07-20-2002, 10:22 AM

Are you kidding me? First off tuna+mayo is awesome, tastes 10 times better than plain. And as for the "it will make you fat" statement, it's very low in saturated fat's and has fair amounts of unsaturated fats. Unless your one of the crazed people that thinks fat will make you fat, I can't possibly begin to understand your reasoning for this.

body
07-20-2002, 11:25 AM
mayo used rape seed oil? well it does in the UK anyway.

GIS
07-20-2002, 02:13 PM
Best foods makes a low fat mayo... it's in a green bottle so check it out if you want.

If you're not worried about carbs I like to take 1 english muffin split in halves, mix a can of tuna or chicken with a little of the fat free mayo, and put half the can on each half of the muffin.

Top with some shredded cheese if you want and stick it under the broiler until the cheese is melted or the muffins are a little toasted.

They make health nut muffins that are whole grain and they're good.... deffinatly a good meal if you want to mix things up a little.

IceRgrrl
07-20-2002, 02:18 PM
Tuna mixed with cottage cheese is pretty damn good.

Marcel
07-20-2002, 04:49 PM
mr fit - you gotta be kiddin.

Manveet - that's what I have done before.

Ttbb - Exactly. I want a better souce of fat though. I guess I will have to make my own mayo.

Body - here it's soybean oil.

Icergrrl - thanks but no thanks. :D

Manveet
07-20-2002, 06:16 PM
Manveet - that's what I have done before.

continue with it then. If you want a better source of fat eat unsalted, plain peanuts. I buy a s*** load of shelled peanuts every week, they are a very good source of polyunsaturated (spl) fat.

Marcel
07-20-2002, 08:39 PM
Oh sh*t I skipped GIS post...I think what I will do is add about an ounce or so of shredded cheese on top of it. Right now I'm not having my tuna with carbs but that recipe sounds excellent. Good idea.

Manveet - they don't beat flax or fish oil though! Yea peanuts are a good source of fat. Almonds are my favorite nuts though. You ever try natty almond butter? Good stuff I tell ya.

Raven Blade
07-20-2002, 09:27 PM
Don't bother putting mayo on tuna... put salsa.... hmmmm makes it taste great. Think I'll go eat a can right now. :burger:

Behemoth
07-20-2002, 10:00 PM
Yeah, tuna with olive oil is awesome too. One tablespoon makes it nice and moist and no more dry chalky taste. I'm not sure which I like more, mayo or olive oil, I definetly alternate.

GIS
07-21-2002, 01:17 AM
Oh dear God! I just tried tuna and olive oil... I thought I was going to throw up! I used a table spoon of olive oil with a can and it was horrible.

I think I'll stick to dealing with the carbs associated with two slices of 12 grain bread, load it with veggies, and get my tuna that way.

:(

Behemoth
07-21-2002, 01:41 PM
Some people just don't appreciate good food:). Oh well, I'll be chowing down 2 cans of tuna and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in about a hour, you in?

Raven Blade
07-22-2002, 01:08 PM
Salsa all the way baby!!!!

Stray
07-22-2002, 01:30 PM
Tuna mixed with scrambled eggwhites is nummy.

raniali
07-22-2002, 02:34 PM
I found Safflower mayo at the store....and I must say, I luv it. 1 Tbspn has 11g fat, with only 1 g sat'd. Additionally, it is super high in Vit E and tastes good. This is my choice for mayo.

Marcel
07-22-2002, 05:37 PM
raniali - I will look for safflower oil mayo at the 'health food store'. I'm sure I will find it. Thanks.

Everyone else thank you for your suggestions.

Tiare
07-23-2002, 10:40 AM
Question: Whats wrong with soybean oil? Mmmmm, good stuff!