PDA

View Full Version : Squat training question for those who compete RAW...

Chris Rodgers
06-03-2013, 06:50 PM
I'm just curious how you guys setup the last few weeks of training for your squat going into the meet. I competed for a bunch of years in Multiply. This is basically what I did then:

3 weeks out: Full gear Heavy Squat W/bands \
2 weeks out: Full Gear Opener only
1 week out: Briefs only up to ~50% of opener for a few light singles

Now I compete in belt+wraps. I basically have 2 squat days. The first I typically work up to one work set in just a belt. Sometimes it's 10-12 reps, sometimes as low as 2-3 reps depending how I feel. The second day is my heavy day where I use wraps and typically work up to a heavy set of 1-5 reps w/wraps.

I was thinking of doing something similar for this meet like this:

3 weeks out: Belt+wraps Heavy single with Chains
2 weeks out: Belt+wraps Opener for 1-3 reps
1 week out: Belt only Up to last warmup set

So what do you guys do?

chris mason
06-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Do you wave/periodize your training in any specific way? Do you always back squat twice per week?

April Mathis
06-04-2013, 01:33 AM
I would do last regular full-range heavy 5 weeks out, week off, heavy 2-3reps with bands or chain (just belt) 3 weeks out and last heavy single with bands or chain (belt and wraps) 2 weeks out and light the last week (just belt, less than opener), then week off till meet.

Also would only squat once per week last 3 weeks.

ScottYard
06-04-2013, 05:42 AM
I'm just curious how you guys setup the last few weeks of training for your squat going into the meet. I competed for a bunch of years in Multiply. This is basically what I did then:

3 weeks out: Full gear Heavy Squat W/bands \
2 weeks out: Full Gear Opener only
1 week out: Briefs only up to ~50% of opener for a few light singles

Now I compete in belt+wraps. I basically have 2 squat days. The first I typically work up to one work set in just a belt. Sometimes it's 10-12 reps, sometimes as low as 2-3 reps depending how I feel. The second day is my heavy day where I use wraps and typically work up to a heavy set of 1-5 reps w/wraps.

I was thinking of doing something similar for this meet like this:

3 weeks out: Belt+wraps Heavy single with Chains
2 weeks out: Belt+wraps Opener for 1-3 reps
1 week out: Belt only Up to last warmup set

So what do you guys do?

I would run that but be more sport specific those last 3 weeks. Dump the chaims get a triple at 90% with reg weight. On week to just do a single. You need to be in recovery mode now. On week 1 deload with 50% but in meet fashion with wraps.

I did this for years and made my way to 765.