PDA

View Full Version : Strength loss on P90x

sandcracker21
06-07-2013, 08:24 PM
I have built up my strength over the last 5+ years doing basic powerlifting. I got my deadlift over 500lbs and my squad over 400..

However, I'm tired of having a medium sized gut. Also earlier today I did a bodyweight circuit that KICKED MY ASS. Who would have know just jumping around for 15 minutes could be so damn hard??

I've wanted to try P90x for a while now and get 'lean' again. But I'm terrified of 90 days putting me back years in my lifting. Anyone out there do this before? Results? Reviews? Thanks in advance

chris mason
06-07-2013, 10:37 PM
You can certainly get leaner and more conditioned without P90X and while maintaining most of your strength. You simply need to adjust your diet and if conditioning is a goal, add some conditioning work to your training.

SEOINAGE
06-08-2013, 09:36 PM
You can certainly get leaner and more conditioned without P90X and while maintaining most of your strength. You simply need to adjust your diet and if conditioning is a goal, add some conditioning work to your training.

Chris nailed this one.

06-09-2013, 07:15 AM
you will certainly lose a little max strength - especially if P90X is the only thing you do (no max strength work). But the prospect that it will set you back YEARS in 90 days is beyond far-fetched. It might seem like you've had to grasp and claw your way to the strength level you've reached and that taking a breather will cause you to fall hard, but our bodies are not that pathetic...

Nasty Nate
06-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but they're right, you can lean out and maintain strength. Yeah, you might drop some on your lifts because your mass will decrease and your leverages will change.

You can probably hit this 2 ways:

1) Hit p90x HAM, and use an in-season lifting program, (think 1-1-1 ~90% ish)

2) Or clean up the diet a little bit, keep lifting hard, and add in p90x conditioning a few times a week on non-lifting days or as a finisher to your training sessions in lieu of or in addition to strength work. Hope that helps, train hard and listen to your body.

Last note, as a coach, I consult a lot of people who have been broken by good ol' Tony Horton and the beach b0dy crew... just watch your six with some of the high volume plyos and "ab rippers"....

get after it and good luck!

Alex.V
06-17-2013, 08:22 PM
I've wanted to try P90x for a while now and get 'lean' again. But I'm terrified of 90 days putting me back years in my lifting. Anyone out there do this before? Results? Reviews? Thanks in advance

Why would you waste your time with it? It won't make you stronger. It won't lean you out as well as simple calorie reduction and mild cardio would do. And it'll certainly make it harder to maintain max strength and muscle.