PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting Gear

robertjr93
06-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Who do you think makes the best gear and why. I dont want this to become a flame war but I wanna know why you guys like the gear you like.

Buccos1
06-17-2013, 09:11 AM
I've lifted in/competed in Inzer, Metal and Titan shirts, suits and briefs. And I lift 100% Titan now (not sponsored). Their single-ply gear, stock, fits me well and ordering through Anderson PL is the best I've ever experienced!

mike95763
06-17-2013, 11:07 AM
I've lifted in a ton of gear (mostly bench press). I've used the Metal Ace, Metal Jack, 2-ply Overkill, 3-ply Overkill, 3-ply SDP, 1-ply F6, 1-ply Fury, 1-ply Katana, 3-ply Katana. The F6 and the Fury are pretty worthless as far as support, but they don't change the groove much from a raw lift. Metal Ace requires your body to compress a lot and is pretty hard to touch in. Metal Jack has a lot more stretch than the Ace and is relatively easy to use for a multi-ply shirt. The chest plate on the Jack has to be set just right or I don't get much out of it, but if it is set right then I get a ton of spring of the bottom. The 3-ply SDP (if you get the right material) is kind of like the Jack in the way it feels and the stretch that you get. It is easy to use (once it is broken in) and it gives as good or better carryover than any shirt I've used. The problem is that it is expensive, the material seems to be hit or miss, and it doesn't last as long as other multi-ply shirts. The 3 ply katana is pretty insane. I have successfully touched and pressed in it, but I have to struggle so much to touch that I can't lock out quite as much as my best shirt which is the Overkill series. Overkill uses a similar material to a katana or a Rage X (closer to a rage X) but it has more stretch so if you can get in the groove and bring the bar down quickly touching isn't as much of a problem and you still get a lot of spring off the bottom. The 1-ply katana is a great shirt. It isn't too much shirt, a beginner can get a loose fitting katana and get a fair amount out of it. For me, a tight katana is better (more carry over) than any multi-ply shirt that I've used except the 3-ply Overkill and SDP. The downside of the 1-ply shirts in general is that they don't last as long I do most of my training in my 3-ply katana because it can take a ton of use without needing adjustments, then I compete in my 3-ply Overkill or my 1-ply katana. In general when I order new gear I order Titan from Ken Anderson just because the service is so much better than elsewhere. As far as squatting goes I lift in a Titan Boss. It is a great squat suit and an even better deadlift suit, but I pretty much suck at squatting and pulling so...

Travis Bell
06-18-2013, 05:02 AM
Inzer SDP for the easiest to use bench shirt with the most carryover.

I don't squat in meets, but if you look around multiply meets by far and above the most common squat suit you see is the Inzer Leviathon.

I haven't lifted single ply since about 2005 or 6 (I can't remember) but when I did I wore the F6. I really struggled in anything else but that may have been largely inexperience.

mike95763
06-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Travis, has Inzer fixed their issues with the SDP material? Seems like in the past few years the material has been different depending on color or batch and it's been hard to get a good version. I've been wanting to get another SDP but I don't want to have to send it back 5 times before I get one that works.

Travis Bell
06-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Yeah each color fits differently. I've had each work great but I had to adjust the sizing each time the color changed. The red ones fit much bigger so I wore a 56.

I tried a 57 in the new black material and it was too tight so I moved to a 59.

If you wore a certain size in the red, I'd move up two sizes for the new black stuff.

Really like the pop and support of the new black ones though.

mastermonster
07-07-2013, 10:57 PM
I love Titan. I think they make the best single ply of all companies. I had very good success with the older Boss suit. The new Boss suit is a bear! I hadn't been successful in taming it before I got hurt last year. Maybe now that I'm training again I can work on it some more. I have high hopes for it still. The single ply stuff is so good I've set several multi-ply records over the years using it in multiply meets