PDA

View Full Version : How far do you travel to train?

Travis Bell
06-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Just curious for the guys on here, how far do you travel to train?

Do you travel because of a commercial gym that has the equipment to train with or because you have training partners you prefer to work with?

I run my own facility so most of the week I'm 4 miles from the gym, but every wednsday and occasionally on Saturdays I drive down to Westside which is 220 miles round trip. I really bend a lot of my schedule to make that work but I've been driving that trip for 4 years. Before that I was about 45min from Westside and made the trip every day.

It is a huge pain in the neck occasionally but always worth the effort to train with my Westside brother.

JohnnyRingo
06-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Travis, I remember reading one time you drove around 2 hours just to train, and that blew my mind. I feel like I would lose my motivation (car rides make me drowsy even when I'm driving, not dangerously so just out of it). I am a 7 minute bike ride from my gym. In the next year I'll be around 45 minutes away. That's when I'll start building my home gym.

Falcon63
06-21-2013, 10:36 AM
15 minute drive. But, if it was too far, I'd just use my tiny home gym and calisthenics. I LOVE calisthenics!

ScottYard
06-21-2013, 03:52 PM
5 minutes. I'm lucky. I train at a smal private gym that's in an old leather shop that we rent from a lady. The owner is a successful insurance agent that's benched 455 raw at198 but is retired from the platform. He charges a small yearly fee and then pays a good 7,000 or so yearly for us to train.

Alinshop
06-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Just curious for the guys on here, how far do you travel to train?

Do you travel because of a commercial gym that has the equipment to train with or because you have training partners you prefer to work with?

I run my own facility so most of the week I'm 4 miles from the gym, but every wednsday and occasionally on Saturdays I drive down to Westside which is 220 miles round trip. I really bend a lot of my schedule to make that work but I've been driving that trip for 4 years. Before that I was about 45min from Westside and made the trip every day.

It is a huge pain in the neck occasionally but always worth the effort to train with my Westside brother.

Pretty cool you make that trip every week, you must really enjoy those workout's.

I am lucky enough to belong to a gym that has 3 locations w/in a 15 mile radius, so if i get tired of one, i can switch it up. I like to visit different gym's when i'm on vacation and usually pick a few out before i leave. I try my best to find the cool ones!

Buccos1
06-22-2013, 07:14 AM
I train in my basement. About six years ago, I bought my first power rack, which was one of the best decisions I ever made. Now, I have everything I need. When I am getting ready for a meet, to do some shirted work, I drive to Cellis' gym, which is about 20 minutes each way.

Brian C
06-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Travel time is about an hour each way twice a week to train at Iron Sport. The other days is about a 20 minute ride

Chris Rodgers
06-22-2013, 12:08 PM
I have a membership at a commercial gym(World Gym) that is less than a mile from my apartment. I am also a member of a private gym that my buddy owns that is loaded up with strength equipment and all kinds of specialty bars. I travel around 40 mins each way to train with them.

Rock1984
06-22-2013, 01:37 PM
6 minutes walk from my condo's door...it's mainly a commercial gym, but we now have a small but close group of lifters, 2 racks, a new shiny adjustable-posts bench (got it in yesterday!) and 3 decent bars, so we're set....and, the "commercial" part means you can look at chicks while you squat.

JK1
06-22-2013, 02:25 PM
less than a minute... but I own the gym, which is really a garage type gym, so basically I just have to walk through the door.

That said, all of my training partners drive a minimum of about 20 minutes and one will make a 2-2.5 hour (one way) drive up here today. I have had 3-4 people at a time driving that far to train at my place, mostly because we are all friends and I have, I think, the only monolift within a long distance. So, the equipment I have (bars too and other stuff) gets people on the road. I've actually had a couple of people drive down from another state (Tennessee) to train on saturday, spend the night, and train again on Sunday as they were getting ready for meets.

I myself have made more than one 100 mile tip to go train with Rob and Chris or back when I benched with Curt Dennis to drive up to Tuscaloosa to bench with them on Sundays.

Personally one of the reasons I bought the equipment was because I hate driving. I'd rather people came to me than I drove to them.

Travis Bell
06-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Travis, I remember reading one time you drove around 2 hours just to train, and that blew my mind. I feel like I would lose my motivation (car rides make me drowsy even when I'm driving, not dangerously so just out of it). I am a 7 minute bike ride from my gym. In the next year I'll be around 45 minutes away. That's when I'll start building my home gym.

Yep it's about 2hrs one way. I leave my house at 5:30 am to get there by 7:30 so I can stretch and warmup.

The drowsyness sucks but you get used to it. I have trained at Westside since 2006 and wouldn't have it any other way. When my wife and I moved up further away from Columbus, we both knew I'd be making the drive at least once a week.

Its really the drive back that's the hardest. By the time we are done training I'm pretty wore out and it can get difficult. But you just drink some coffee and move on.

Even as long as I've been training there, I still get all jacked up every tuesday night because I know I get to train there the next morning.

kingns
06-23-2013, 12:28 PM
5 mins from my apartment or office, depending on where my clients office is, could be an hour. I have traveled 5 hr round trip numerous times to train with Kennelly when I was shirted benching. It was always worth it

Rugby Dad
07-16-2013, 04:51 PM
For years I traveled an hour once a week.
After about 5 years of it started to wear on me. Plus the fact I couldn't take a week off bcuz my training bud depended on me being there. That sucked.
We needed a group of about 4 to train with, takes the burden off anyone who wanted to skip a workout.

mastermonster
07-21-2013, 03:30 PM
About 3 miles.

GazzyG
07-21-2013, 03:46 PM
5-10 mins

evilxxx
07-24-2013, 03:43 PM
13 minutes on the dot from the house to Quest gym in Duluth,GA

gopostal42
07-27-2013, 03:01 PM
40 minutes since i moved

Rock1984
07-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Even as long as I've been training there, I still get all jacked up every tuesday night because I know I get to train there the next morning.

My friend and training mate Massimiliano visited Westside 2 weeks ago: one of the things I've ever been most envious of! Not to mention having a pic with Louie!

A.Schnupp
07-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Most days I train at home, if theres a meet coming up ill travel about 45 minutes to use a mono or be coached by better lifters and at least once a year we'll travel up to 3 hours to train with some other lifters. The car ride always sucks!

Tim K
08-01-2013, 01:05 PM
I train at home. I already spend 3 hours a day in the car commuting. I lack the testicular fortitude to do any more than that. My progress would be quicker/better with partners, etc. However, this is the choice I've made. I am lucky enough to have folks like Donnie Thompson only a hour away and have taken advantage of his hospitality a few times. But I don't want to wear out my welcome.

rockofages
08-04-2013, 10:19 AM
60 miles one way trip to bench with Mike Wolfe. Best decision ever. Been doing this for 3 years and contest bench has gone up from 365 to 507.

muscle_g
08-04-2013, 11:19 AM
From my house to the gym it's around 15-20mins

SEOINAGE
08-07-2013, 07:11 AM
In my garage normally. Next closest gym is 1 hour one way 2 the other. Whenever I can I train on saturdays with some guys that live 4 hours away. But I don't make the trip just to train, usually need something else that weekend going on in the area. I don't really have a good place to stay there anymore either, so that'll happen less than in the past. If I knew more lifters at those closer locations I would be willing to lift with them on occasions, I am aware of a couple people that do powerlifting that aren't too far away, just haven't met them.

Travis Bell
08-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Man where on earth do you live? I could drive to gyms in another state in 4hrs lol. Either that or your garage gym is really that pimped out

SEOINAGE
08-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Man where on earth do you live? I could drive to gyms in another state in 4hrs lol. Either that or your garage gym is really that pimped out

Yeah middle of no where honestly. Wish my garage was pimped out. I have a power rack I built with close hole spacing and band pegs on a platform, and a flat bench I built. 1 texas powerbar, a cheap bar, and some weight and bands. I like it but if I had more space I would add some things here and there.