PDA

View Full Version : Sumo dead grip width

Stonecutter
06-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Just started working these into my program and the gym I train at has pretty crappy barbells. That is its own issue, but I noticed that there is no knurling in the area where I would like to place my hands. I have to position them wider than I want. Is this because they don't have the barbell I need, or I am just setting up too narrow?

ScottYard
06-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Not all bars are created equal. A dl bar will have a lot of knurling where as a economy all purpose bar may have less. Pick up a Texas power bar and see if the gym owner will let you stash it at the gym.

Invain
06-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah this is a problem for me as well, really annoying. I can pull more sumo but my grip shits out quicker compared to conventional stance where I use a wider grip.

Stonecutter
06-23-2013, 05:28 AM
Not all bars are created equal. A dl bar will have a lot of knurling where as a economy all purpose bar may have less. Pick up a Texas power bar and see if the gym owner will let you stash it at the gym.

Right, that's what I thought as well. However, I looked up that bar and the one I was using seems similar. Obviously it's not a Texas Power Bar, but it does have center knurling. What seems like it would be my most comfortable position is between the center and outer knurling. Here's a picture of me setting up with my hand right hand there (actually even a little wider than I want, but I needed to grab some knurling to lift). Do I need to just set my grip wider?

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=d8e0a52745&view=att&th=13f70c4f93d84152&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P94aF8w-02Irq5XteP20Dbl&sadet=1371986577311&sads=rOcsfArGxx_vyMor2naHG9iWhkM&sadssc=1