PDA

View Full Version : Couple Shots, almost done with cut

Invain
07-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Pic section seems to be dead so I figured I'd throw these up. Still a little fat on my legs and lower back. I'd like to drop another few pounds over the next month and then maintain for my next meet. I hate cutting a bunch of water for meets, would much rather just be as lean as possible.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30880&stc=1&d=1374201932

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30881&stc=1&d=1374201937

GazzyG
07-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Looking fucking beastly, mate. Good work!

Behemoth
07-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Nick you great. What do you weigh and what are you down from?

Jonathan E
07-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Good. Good.

chevelle2291
07-20-2013, 09:41 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/3754240_o.gif

Invain
07-21-2013, 07:02 AM
Nick you great. What do you weigh and what are you down from?

I'd say I'm around 205 on average. Scale at my gym isn't the most accurate and my weight fluctuates a fair amount during the week due to carbs. Down from 215.

Time+Patience
07-22-2013, 05:39 AM
You looking freaking huge Nick!

I see Ryan still has some corny ass GIFs, LOL.

Your PLing has built up a tremendous amount of thickness my man! It's definitely doing you some good. How big are your damn legs? They look damn near 30".

Invain
07-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks. I haven't measured anything in years so I really have no idea.

chris mason
07-22-2013, 11:24 PM
You look great!

Invain
07-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Thank you Chris.

I still need to use my buddies camera to get some better pictures sometime. Quality from my phone is pretty bad as you can tell, I look a fair bit leaner in real life.

Behemoth
07-27-2013, 12:48 PM
What's your diet look like these days Nick?

Invain
07-27-2013, 01:38 PM
About the same as it's always been. Low carbs except maybe a banana or two post workout. One or two days a week I'll have a higher carb meal post workout. One of the days I eat higher carbs, usually a Friday, I'll have a cheat meal and go over on cals for the day to give my metabolism a boost.

Matthew Bryduck
07-31-2013, 08:55 AM
Invain, I do something similar to you as far as diet guys. I wish more people would see this as optimal compared to eat carbohydrates all day.

Allen Cress
07-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Invain, I do something similar to you as far as diet guys. I wish more people would see this as optimal compared to eat carbohydrates all day.

There is no such thing as optimal as everyone responds differently to carbs & fats. I have had many clients who could not take in less than 300g carbs a day or they would loose weight way to fast and this is during a prep. I also have clinets who if they go above 200g they start storing fat.

I agree a lot overdo carbs for sure and unless your body responds well to carbs then you should have 1-2 meals that are protein/fat based to keep insulin sensitivity up. But carbs are still important. Right now fats are what is voguing now in the industry and 2 years from now it will be something else.

Your body needs all 3 nutrients (pro, carb, fat) to work efficiently. You just have to find where your body works the best from each. But over my 18 years in this industry there is a greater percentage who utilize a carb based diet better than a low carb diet. I don't mean crazy high but where its the primary fuel source. Now I am talking about individuals who are in shape and even ones who weren't once they got leaner they used more carbs.

Allen Cress
07-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Invain- you look great, Nice overall balance and thickness. You are definitely pretty lean at this point.

Matthew Bryduck
07-31-2013, 02:06 PM
Allen, while I do agree with you on different amounts of carbs for everyone, I will stick to my guns about the optimal timing of carbs.

Matthew Bryduck
07-31-2013, 02:09 PM
Allen, I will also being involved in a study this fall/spring at the University of Tampa to help back all of this up scientifically.

Allen Cress
07-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Allen, I will also being involved in a study this fall/spring at the University of Tampa to help back all of this up scientifically.

The only problem with studies is that you may find that it works, but that doesn't mean its best for everyone. You are only studying a small amount of a total population and there are control factors involved as well. I have a friend/client at University of Kentucky who studies nothing but muscle, protein synthesis, fast/slow twitch fibers, etc..... and I have seen plenty of studies where the results had hardly any relevance with what the actual outcome in 'real life was.

Not knocking carb timing by any means as it has its place for enhanced cosmetic goals like bodybuilding for some, just not all.

Matthew Bryduck
07-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Allen, I guess we will agree to disagree.

Alinshop
07-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Looking lean man. Nice work.

Jonathan E
08-01-2013, 01:10 AM
I've never understood the "carb-timing" approach. The only time I see it's relevancy is post-workout when you need the glyco stores filled up. Otherwise, when it comes down to it, a reduction in calories is what will make you lose fat and body weight. That CAN be achieved by lowering your carbs(or for that matter, any macro such as fat or protein), but the overall timing of those said carbs is irrelevant...either your body will use them up quickly..or they will be stored for later...

Allen Cress
08-01-2013, 07:32 AM
I've never understood the "carb-timing" approach. The only time I see it's relevancy is post-workout when you need the glyco stores filled up. Otherwise, when it comes down to it, a reduction in calories is what will make you lose fat and body weight. That CAN be achieved by lowering your carbs(or for that matter, any macro such as fat or protein), but the overall timing of those said carbs is irrelevant...either your body will use them up quickly..or they will be stored for later...

Yes, in the big picture its all about controlling your overall intake and having balance thru the day. To many times people get caught in in such micro detail that that miss the big picture and make it harder on themselves and more confusing than it needs to be.

Allen Cress
08-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Allen, I guess we will agree to disagree.

And that's absolutely fine. A lot of the great coaches out there don't agree on everything 100% except basic principles and that's what sets individuals apart. No 100% right or wrong way to achieve results.

Learning is about taking away what you find relevant from top experts and finding your own philosophy and methodology. Too many times there are just copycat coaches which never become leaders, they are always followers. The important thing is you have a pretty open mind and that in itself will take you far.

Matthew Bryduck
08-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Allen, Thank you for you input. I'm doing my best to learn all aspects of diet and training. Any constructive criticism is welcome!

Matt

Matthew Bryduck
08-01-2013, 09:17 AM
You don't necessarily need to reduce calories to loose weight. Its funny that the first thing people want to pull. You could actually increase training frequency, add hiit,and/or just shift around nutrient timing.

Allen Cress
08-01-2013, 11:01 AM
You don't necessarily need to reduce calories to loose weight. Its funny that the first thing people want to pull. You could actually increase training frequency, add hiit,and/or just shift around nutrient timing.

That is a point a lot miss. Most always drop calories first. This is why you don't start a leaning phase with 5 days a week of cardio for 45 min each. Gradually add in when/if needed. Then there will come a point where you do need to drop calories. Its a good balance between the 2.

Matthew Bryduck
08-01-2013, 04:11 PM
I disagree once again, funny how moving some macros around can make you loose weight. I didn't say steady state, I said hiit. I have done zero cardio to drop 10 percent body fat and currently eating around 4k calories. This was all done with training frequency and the shifting around of nutrients.

Invain
08-01-2013, 05:10 PM

It does make a difference, not huge no, but noticeable. I believe it makes a bigger difference the leaner you get as well. As always however, everybody is different. I don't have the greatest insulin sensitivity; I have always felt much better on low carb/high fat diets. Others feel like shit on low carbs no matter how long they try to become 'fat adapted'.

If you guys want to debate carb cycling/carb timing feel free to start a new thread in the nutrition section. All I will say is, there is a reason why I am around 10% bf and dropping at 210 - 215 lbs, 5' 9" while still gaining strength and approaching a 1700+ Raw total. I have found what works best for me diet wise and I really don't care what others believe when it comes to low carb approaches.

Allen Cress
08-01-2013, 05:44 PM
I disagree once again, funny how moving some macros around can make you loose weight. I didn't say steady state, I said hiit. I have done zero cardio to drop 10 percent body fat and currently eating around 4k calories. This was all done with training frequency and the shifting around of nutrients.

But you have to understand there is no "One size fits all" to every person, by any means. The more individuals you work with the more you will see this.

Jonathan E
08-03-2013, 02:37 AM

When I say a reduction in calories, that includes diet and/or workout. Ill admit, I didn't word it the best, but that is what I meant.

Jonathan E
08-03-2013, 02:40 AM
It does make a difference, not huge no, but noticeable. I believe it makes a bigger difference the leaner you get as well. As always however, everybody is different. I don't have the greatest insulin sensitivity; I have always felt much better on low carb/high fat diets. Others feel like shit on low carbs no matter how long they try to become 'fat adapted'.

If you guys want to debate carb cycling/carb timing feel free to start a new thread in the nutrition section. All I will say is, there is a reason why I am around 10% bf and dropping at 210 - 215 lbs, 5' 9" while still gaining strength and approaching a 1700+ Raw total. I have found what works best for me diet wise and I really don't care what others believe when it comes to low carb approaches.

I can respect that. What works for you is all that matters. I'm simply stirring the pot of knowledge.

Matthew Bryduck
08-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Like!

12u$$eLL-
09-03-2013, 02:09 AM
looking beastly brah, very nice.