PDA

View Full Version : Travel To Meets or Stay Local

Travis Bell
07-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Do most of you guys prefer traveling to bigger venue meets where there is a larger pool of lifters?

Or do you pick meets based on the proximity to you?

I kinda go back and fourth. Sometimes I don't really like traveling. It wears me out, scheduling time off from work, etc. It can be a huge pain in the neck. Not to mention the expense.

Other times, getting out of your comfort zone to compete against lifters who are big names nationally can be a pretty big rush. It really creates a situation that really is exciting to compete in but is also a huge boost to your training when you get back.

Which is more important to you guys?

gopostal42
07-27-2013, 03:00 PM
If you just enjoy competing with yourself i don't know why you would drop the extra money and time to travel to compete at bigger meets. Personally the higher level of competition is what is the most appealing so i do try to travel when i can.

kingns
07-27-2013, 04:13 PM
I have traveled 5-8 hrs for meets, so that doesnt really count. Im looking into qualifying for USAPL nationals and going there just for the competition. I will get SMOKED by the top 5, but it will still be a great learning experience and chance to see how I stack up against other drug free/tested raw lifters. Most meets I go to i MIGHT have one person in my weight class. It would be refreshing to get my ass handed to me at a meet and see the level first hand that I want to get to.

April Mathis
07-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Usually local, and I just pick a meet at a time I'm ready to do one. And I pick a meet by if I know they will have good equipment and spotters. That is the most important things to me. I have done a few big meets, but don't really care because I have no one to compete with except myself anyways. Federation doesn't really matter. I have done a bunch of different ones.

I would definitely be more interested in larger meets and would travel if I had someone I wanted to compete against or someone wanted to compete against me and was reasonably close, or if enough money was involved to make winning worthwhile, i.e. pay for travel and expenses plus at least a few grand to come back with it.

Invain
07-28-2013, 07:41 AM
I've stayed local in the past due to the cost of traveling. I'm to the point now however where I would like to travel to some bigger venues so that I can have some actual competition in my weight class.

ScottYard
07-28-2013, 07:14 PM
I am lucky to live to be in PA and meets are everywhere. Hell, York barbell hall of fame is only a half hour away. I just went to Orlando last week for raw nats though. I like to do meets close but I also like to go to Ohio for meets like the Arnold for the big meets.

ScottYard
07-28-2013, 07:24 PM
I have traveled 5-8 hrs for meets, so that doesnt really count. Im looking into qualifying for USAPL nationals and going there just for the competition. I will get SMOKED by the top 5, but it will still be a great learning experience and chance to see how I stack up against other drug free/tested raw lifters. Most meets I go to i MIGHT have one person in my weight class. It would be refreshing to get my ass handed to me at a meet and see the level first hand that I want to get to.

That's exactly why I went USAPL. I got tired of lifting against my self. Its nice being in a field of 20 deep.

Travis Bell
07-28-2013, 07:35 PM
I would agree PA has a huge assortment of meets. You can find a meet with about every avenue which is pretty sweet.

The reason I ask this topic is because with the large presence of top level (top 10 or better) lifters on the internet, you'd think there would be a lot of interest in competing against each other simply because of a more broad awareness of different strength levels in each weight class.

Just seems to me there'd be more interest in big meets where guys travel. Similar to Scott traveling to florida for raw nationals.

Could be that there aren't as many federations that require qualifying for nationals like USAPL does though.

ScottYard
07-29-2013, 03:53 PM
I honesty think most guys are afraid of real competition. They would rather win "sub master bench" at a small meet with out any chance of getting third.

Invain
07-29-2013, 04:42 PM
I honesty think most guys are afraid of real competition. They would rather win "sub master bench" at a small meet with out any chance of getting third.

Dunno if I agree with that. I'd love to compete against top level lifters, even if I get my ass whooped. The biggest problem is there's absolutely no money in this sport. People are struggling right now; when you consider $80 - $100 entrance fee, hotels, gas/plane tickets for traveling to meets in other states, you're spending a few hundred bucks easy which is a lot to most. I think things would change if there were more cash meets. I'm friends with a guy that hosts meets in my area, I know how much money he brings in for bigger events. It really is bullshit in all honesty, there's no reason why most meets don't have a small cash prize for the top lifters, even if it's something small like $100.

Travis Bell
07-29-2013, 07:13 PM
In my experience I'm actually inclined to agree with Scott. I know a lot of guys who just simply won't go to a meet after they see the roster because they don't think they can win or place well. Which in my opinion is a really terrible attitude towards competing.

I've traveled to meets before simply to compete against other guys for the heck of it. Knowing full well it's likely I'll get my butt handed to me. First time I did the raw unity meet I was in college and got killed lol.

I understand the money thing, however if someone wants to compete against the best at a big meet, it's fairly easy to anticipate the cost and save up for it.

JK1
07-30-2013, 12:05 AM
I simply don't make enough money powerlifting to pay for a flight, hotel, and whatnot. I'd love to go to meets in Europe, like GPC or WPC worlds, but the reality is that type of a trip costs more than what I have ever made powerlifting, ever.

So I stay local. If i can drive there in 1 day (ie about 10 hours or so) I'll do the meet. Otherwise, no, not until I get paid more.

Tim K
08-01-2013, 01:20 PM
It would be great to hit a meet where the monsters of the sport are lifting if for no other reason than to say I shared the platform with them. But the reality of economics begs otherwise.

There are a couple of 'milestones' I want to hit at a big meet where I know the judging is going to be strict but fair. I want to leave the platform knowing I wasn't handed a 'gift' nor penalized for not being a well known name. Winning or losing - I don't really care. I have goals I want to meet and its those numbers I am chasing.

SEOINAGE
08-07-2013, 07:04 AM
I'm still new to competition, Local for me is 5 hours or so of a drive. If I qualify for nationals more like a 10 hour drive which I am fine doing. If it were to require flying I wouldn't do it unless I was on a more competitive level. And at this point I have only had a small taste, and don't care to bite off a huge chunk just yet.